Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Keith Moon

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keith Moon

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    is it just me, or does Keith Moon look like a possessed Gilligan?

I love watching Moonie "play" when the band is not really playing live.

User Info Menu

Who are You - Isolated
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:14 AM.

User Info Menu

^Cool iso tracks Olimpass!! Thanks for posting them up!!

User Info Menu

Probably my favorite drummer.... the guy was a wild man but could somehow hold it together.

User Info Menu

Keith had his own style and that's what made him great, he wasn't worried about perfect technique or always playing in the pocket he just played and enjoyed it! After all, he was playing rock & roll.
    It doesn't matter if it's drumming,guitar playing or playing spoons once a lot of rules have been applied like don't do this or cant do that or your not supposed to do that it all becomes mechanical and creativity is smothered and lost. But Keith broke those rules and just played, and that made him considered by many to be one of the best drummers of all time!

User Info Menu

I've always like his playing on "Who Are You"
    Premier - A. Zildjian - Evans - Vic Firth

User Info Menu

Wow....amazing tracks. Thank you for giving us these. Headphone heaven.

I am a guitarist first and a drummer 3rd! I play drums in a 1960's covers band
    and I always love playing 'Substitute' more than all the others. So much freedom to
    explore the kit.

I grew up, playing guitar 'awe'd' by Page, Hendrix, Zappa....not Townsend.....
    Moon and Entwhistle out-played Pete, technically.

User Info Menu

Won't Get Fooled Again (Live @ Kilburn 1977)

User Info Menu

Man that was awesome! Thanks for sharing!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Man that was awesome! Thanks for sharing!!
    Glad to share late8!

User Info Menu

Pete Townshend explains Keith's playing starting at about 38 seconds into this vid that makes me laugh.

User Info Menu

Very good video and probably the best of his drumming, so sad that he died a year later. I was also surprised how civil the band was cause they were known for destroying their instruments after every gigs.

User Info Menu

Going Mobile - Isolated

User Info Menu

pinball wizard - isolated

RossDrum Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Amazing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    pinball wizard - isolated
    Wow....That was cool. Thanks for posting this. I hear his musicality much better with the iso track.

User Info Menu

I was keeping time as best i could in the car the other day when teenager wasteland or whatever it's called came on the radio and he seemed to be right on... don't know why there is ever any argument about him being a great drummer
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The Holiday Inn off of M59 in Flint Michigan. Building was in disarray last I saw it. If it is still their anymore.

User Info Menu

From a recent interview with Pete Townsend:

And about Keith Moon:
    “Moon is an easier target; he once passed out during a 1970s show in San Francisco, forcing the band to pull a drummer out of the crowd. “With Keith, my job was keeping time, because he didn’t do that,” says Townshend. “So when he passed away, it was like, ‘Oh, I don’t have to keep time anymore.’”

User Info Menu

Good gravy, how have I never posted in this thread?

You all know I'm a Who fan, so you know I'm a bit biased in Moon's favor.

And by "A bit", I mean I've read back and forth about the guy, studied his technique (yes, he had such a thing. I'll get into that in a bit), listened to his playing studio vs live, wondered how anybody could be like him, and picked apart what might have made him tick.

Before I dive in here, I wanted to make clear of a few things:
    - Moon was godfather to Zak Starkey (current drummer of The Who, son of Ringo). I've never seen mention of anybody in the Bonham family, especially from The Who.
    - The story about him driving into a swimming pool is the biggest part of the legend that is his 21st birthday. This has more or less been called into question, as in the book "Dear Boy", the author couldn't really verify that.
    - When Keith had passed out during that live performance after taking those tranquilizers, it was Scot Halpin who came to briefly fill the throne. Pete was very grateful for that.
    - Keith didn't play on the fish kit during Smothers Brothers (as you can see from the Smothers brothers clip). That was the Pictures of Lily kit that he blasted into Pete's ear, giving him tinnitus. It's still rather wild that he even played on a kit with fish in it, though! Stanley Dorfman says that Keith did this for an anniversary tour. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljc0cN5Oglw
    - It was 2 weeks after Who Are You came out, that Keith had passed. Really makes you think about that chair labeled "Not to be taken away".

Now, on his drumming:
    I said he had a technique. This is true. It's easy to listen to The Who a few times, and gather that all Keith was doing was flailing arms around, hoping to hit something. The Who would have surely had a different drummer, if this was the case. There are two parts to Keith that I think need to be addressed:

According to Pete, Keith not only had a fantastic inner metronome (already making him a great drummer), but he could also play off of Pete and John's riffs rather well, because he wasn't a drummer to played by lead. He played by listening (Steve Smith does the same). He even admitted himself, saying "I don't play rhythms, I play riffs". For this reason, Pete and Roger both cite him as their "missing piece".

Which gets me to the next part: Keith's technique was largely made up of riffs and patterns, rather than certain beats (although he had a rather simple, signature beat you can hear in Pinball Wizard, Baba O'Riley, and Won't Get Fooled Again). Take a listen between Tommy's Overture, and Behind Blue Eyes, and you'll find that he has this off-beat snare roll in the same spot of the measure. He'd take these bits that he already had down in muscle memory, and fancy them up the next time around, mostly riffing off of Pete and John. Keith was far more technical than he let on. The one person who knew this and fine-tuned it into his playing was Neil Peart.

As a person? I'm completely torn on Keith.
    At times, he could be such a sweetheart. All he really wanted to do was entertain people. He did that in many ways greatly, and not so greatly. On one hand, he could be a joy to be around, making you laugh. But on the flipside, he could want to make you tear your hair out with his numerous pranks, or by getting into fights. Roger posits in his book that Keith was a very lonely soul, and couldn't let himself go after he'd accidentally killed his driver. It worsened when he drove his wife away. As I personally look at his life, I can relate to a lot. Part of this is that he clearly had ADHD, and I was rather recently diagnosed with it. So a lot of his early life, I can connect with. But a lot of the pills he took would have been ADHD medicine, if they'd only been legal then (Rog's words, not mine).
    Sometimes I wish I could be as brash and daring as Keith. But all of the extravagance was a mask for him. All of his bold lies, all of the showmanship, and the visual stuff. I couldn't do that. I hate having to put on a mask. I just can't live doing that.

But I'll always look back at Keith. It's easy for me to question, but I always come right back round to The Who. It's why they're my favorite band.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

The Outro...

RIP
    Signature here