Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keith Moon

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keith Moon

Love this one...fun to play. Thank you Keith Moon.

Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:08 AM.

User Info Menu

He was most definitly my influence to play drums (see: my username) He got me off of rockband and to start taking drum lessons. I am a big fan of The Who myself.

User Info Menu

Just don't blow anything up.

User Info Menu

He was one of the best drummers ever. Not what one would call a "technical" drummer (at least, I've never heard anyone refer to him as a technical drummer), but still...

Also, I read a book about him, as well as one about The Who, and apparently, he was a serious practical joker growing up, and he carried that aspect of his personality into his "Moon the Loon" persona.
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

"He was one of the best drummers ever"

Not really!

User Info Menu

I'm surprised at the amount of drummers that find anything good in his playing..Worst technique ever, played all over the place (no, not accenting the music). I don't get it.

User Info Menu

You should really read the book "Full Moon" which chronicles many of the previous post's stories.

If I remember correctly, I read that they had a trap door in the drum riser underneath Keith so that they could inject him in the ankle with "downers" to keep him from destroying the drum set before the end of the show.

He was one crazy SOB!

1964 Ludwig Downbeat Black Diamond Pearl (12,13,14,16,20)
    ALL of its Original Hardware

Ludwig Stainless Steel "Bop" (12,14,18)

Ludwig 1947 Standard Deluxe w/Art Gold hardware 3ply Maple 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM470 Auditorium 3ply Mahogany 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1959 LM908P Jazz Festival 3ply Mahogany 5.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1964 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1968 LM410 Super Sensitive 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1969 LM404 Acrolite 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1976 LM400 Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1977 LM401 Lacquered Brass Supraphonic 5 x 14
    Ludwig 1978 LM405 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite w/factory Imperial Lugs 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1984 LB552 75th Anniversary Engraved Bronze 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 1990s LM404 Black Galaxy Acrolite 10 Lug w/Silver Monroe Keystone 5 x 14
    Ludwig 2010 LB417BT Engraved Black Beauty 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2017 LB402B COB Supraphonic 6.5 x 14
    Ludwig 2020 LC662KTC Hammered Copperphonic w/all Copper Hardware 6.5 x 14
    DW Collectors 3mm Cast Bell Brass 5.5 x 14
    DW/Craviotto 2000 Steam Bent Solid Cherry 5.5 x 14

Zildjian As and A Customs

User Info Menu

I've heard all the stories. Crazy for sure, a good drummer,IMO not so much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rotarded View Post
    You should really read the book "Full Moon" which chronicles many of the previous post's stories.

If I remember correctly, I read that they had a trap door in the drum riser underneath Keith so that they could inject him in the ankle with "downers" to keep him from destroying the drum set before the end of the show.

He was one crazy SOB!
    I read that book a long time ago. That was in San Francisco at the Cow Palace I think. He took the animal tranquilizer pill and then passed out on stage. I think that was the only time they shot him up like that. Coud be wrong though who knows........
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    I'm surprised at the amount of drummers that find anything good in his playing..Worst technique ever, played all over the place (no, not accenting the music). I don't get it.
    His unique style, approach and technique.....it's all there. I can't understand why anyone could not get it ?
    When you hear that style...you know who it is!
    I try to take it all in, love the versatility and respect it as something yet more to learn and build from!
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-08-2013 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

didn't he hold his sticks with his index finger sticking out?
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

he may not appeal to some but man he played on a lot of hits!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Definitely one of the best drummers ever hands down. His chops were kept within genre so if you're looking at him from a jazz or funk perspective, you probably won't see it. Such raw energy, speed, and power behind his playing. There's a reason he continues to be an inspiration to so many, and immitated. He is that good, and always will be.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Definitely one of the best drummers ever hands down. His chops were kept within genre so if you're looking at him from a jazz or funk perspective, you probably won't see it. Such raw energy, speed, and power behind his playing. There's a reason he continues to be an inspiration to so many, and immitated. He is that good, and always will be.

Sorry Russ, but I totally disagree. Moon was a 1st class nut job.

Die young, get deified, and, in most cases, get vastly overrated.

User Info Menu

All musicians have their ups and downs, individual personalities. Everybody has problems, I don't see what it has to do with their musical ability though?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Sorry Russ, but I totally disagree. Moon was a 1st class nut job.

Die young, get deified, and, in most cases, get vastly overrated.
    Yeah, I'm sorta with Rick on this. Not quite as harsh because I didn't care for the WHO or his style of drumming. Hence, I didn't pay much attention to him or them. I could never see any true talent from Moon. More a showman and destroyer of good drum kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    I believe he also drove a car into a swimming pool at one point as well.

I wanna be keith moon when i grow up. except for the whole dead at 32 thing.
    Although he didn't have a drivers license he also drove the group Bentley over their manager when getting away from a hostile crowd. the man died from his injuries.

Regarding the whole dead thing he died in the same bed in the same flat (I think you call them apartments in America) in London as Mama Cass! (obviously not at the same time.)

User Info Menu

that incident is said to have really affected him. He was one of his closer friends. It's also said that when he wasn't drunk that he would be more quiet and calm. It's when he went on drinking binges is when the lunacy would surface.

I remember the day I found out John Entwhistle died. You think these guys would get over it all ready. I mean doesn't the stupidity kind of wear off as one gets older? John was 57! and cocaine was a contributing factor in his death.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The Who were chilling out one night in a nightclub in Soho London and The Beatles were also there. Moony walked over to them and said "Mind if I join you?"
    John Lennon said "Sure, pull up a chair"
    "No no" said Moony "I mean do you mind if I join you?"
    To which, after a long pause, Ringo said in his deep droll voice; We've already got a drummer!"

"Haha" said Moony just kidding!"

User Info Menu

That's the kind of drummer Moon was, high energy and engaging. I remember hearing that his band members felt a need to up their playing to his ability level because of how intense he was behind the kit.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I am reading Pete Townshend's book, WHO I AM. On pages 345-6, he goes into why he and John found new freedom in playing with Kenney Jones after Keith died, but how Roger missed Keith. Roger was able to move to Keith's drumming, which, per Roger, followed the vocals. I am not going to copy the entire part here, but the book is a good read so far.

John has lost a substantial part of his hearing. I don't know if he could play his horns any more. I am no advocate of illegal drug use, but if I was a musician who was reduced to lip-reading, I can't say what I'd do.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

No one wishes death on anyone (except Bin Laden), but when it's brought on by the persons own stupidity, and that goes for Moon, Joplin, Bonham, Hendrix, and numerous others, my feelings of sympathy disappear.

The Who became a better band after Moon "left".

Of the 4 I mentioned above, I saw 3 of them live. I didn't see Hendrix. I could have, but didn't have the interest.

Joplin was raw emotion, she could send a chill down your spine with "Piece of my heart". I still listen to her once in a while.

The other 3 I don't (and didn't pay much attention to) for a lot of reasons.

User Info Menu

First of all, I think this should not be about an individuals personal beliefs toward an artists personal life, habbits, antics or issues. I think it's irrelivant. If that is how you wish to base your opinion, that's your prerogative. I believe it should be about the artists musical talent. What they did with their personal lives are their issue. (unless they're polititians or renting from me...lol)

IMO, Keith Moon had something special that was unique with his playing ability and style.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-09-2013 at 08:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Keith was the best part of The Who.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Keith was the best part of The Who.
    I think Keith was one of the biggest hooks of the band for sure.