Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitch Mitchell - Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Mitch Mitchell - Famous Drummers

Mitch Mitchell

Drummer: Mitch Mitchell
    Main Style: Rock
    Main Band: The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Brief Summary: John Ronald "Mitch" Mitchell ( July 9th 1947 – November 12th 2008) was an English drummer, Mitchell played in Hendrix's Experience trio from October 1966 to mid-1969, in his Woodstock band of August 1969, and also with the later incarnation of the Experience in 1970 with Billy Cox on bass. Hendrix would often record tracks in the studio with only Mitchell, which would enhance on-stage chemistry.

Other Facts: Mitchell pioneered a style of drumming which would later become known as fusion. This is a "lead" style of playing distinguished by interplay with lead instruments such as guitar or keyboards, and the blending of jazz and rock drumming styles. Though the use of lead drums was not a new concept in the world of jazz, it was relatively unheard of in the rock genre at the time. Upon joining Hendrix in late 1966, it soon became evident to Mitch that the trio format of the band was similar to the recently formed Cream, and that it would allow him an opportunity to become more free with his playing. Like a jazz drummer, Mitchell's playing not only provided a rhythmic support for the music, but also a source of momentum and melody. He made heavy use of snare rudiments, fast single and double stroke rolls, and jazz triplet patterns in his playing, and shifted between both traditional and matched grips. Notable examples of his style include the rudiment-heavy fills on Hey Joe, which help to carry the song through a series of increasingly intense climaxes. Manic Depression is a 3/4 rock waltz that finds Mitchell playing a driving Afro-Cuban inspired beat, which then shifts to an explosion of triplets all around the drumkit during the outro.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-02-2011 at 05:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mitch Mitchell

great old vid......

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Monster drummer. Very under rated and a pioneer IMHO.

User Info Menu

i think he's underrated too. What did he do after the JHEx? that could be one reason. Kind of went under the radar.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Love Mitch Mitchell. That's why I posted this thread. I'm certain someone else would have too. Mitch was ahead of his time.

User Info Menu

I know he wasn't open to the media and didn't grant many interviews....maybe that's why he is not mentioned with Ginger Baker, Bonham, Powell and others from his era.....he was as good, if not better, than most of his peers

doctor dirt Guest

Perfect drummer for Hendrix at that time and a very exciting drummer when you listen to the techniques he incorperated. A very "modern" drummer in the rock genre instead of playing boring rock back beats in 2/4 he jumped on top of the beat and set the pace so Hendrix had an up tempo groove to climb on.
    I think of Mitch as the Elvin Jones of rock, with his great cymbal playing along with the drumming. I saw him live with Jimi at a ball field in Bridgeport Conn in 1969 (raining and horrible sound co.)(played for 20 mins and apologized to everyone) then on the Yale Campus downtown New Haven Conn (my hometown) in Wholsey Hall on Nov. 17/69 (I think) and was outstanding, the best concert I ever attended. Two shows, saw them both so for 6 hours I learned a few lessons from the Experience. Then New Years Eve at the Filmore East, I saw 4 out of the 6 sessions (recordings) Band of Gypsys (minus Mitch with Buddy Miles on drums RIP) and Billy Cox on bass great sessions and fantastic playing. Hendrix sounded equally good with a great fat back drummer like Buddy or the on top playing of Mitch but what else would you expect.
    I had a young guitarist brought to me in the early 90s named Lance Lopez and I mentored him for about 15 months and gave him some connections to further his carreer. He won a few Hendrix show cases and actuall did a short tour with Mitch on drums and Billy on Bass.
    As far as a grade for British drummers to me Mitch is on top and none of the other "big names" could possibly perform the way he did with Jimi, I just don't see that at all.
    Theres some folks that are just tailored to work with others to form a perfect blend of their talents and Mitch playing drums with Jimi Hendrix has to be on the top of the list as far as a unique approach to what was gonna be an unusual stylings to begin with. Baker and Bonham nspired alot of people and certainly had their own signature style but none of them incorperated the methods and techinques in their playing like Mitch Mitchell did. He was a totally unique player and from what I heard of him personally a gentle man who was a gentlmen to any one and everyone. R.I.P Master Drummer! Doc

More Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

+1
    Tama Royalstar: 14x22" Kick, 16x16" Floor Tom, 8x12" Tom, 9x13" Tom, 5x14" Snare

Zildjian A Custom: 20" Medium Ride, 18" Medium Crash, 16" Crash and 14" Hi-hats

Sabian B8 Pro: 18" China, 12" Splash

Soultone Extreme: 14" Hi-hats

LP Cowbell

Alesis DM6 USB eDrumkit

VALTIS Rock en espaņol

User Info Menu

I love when we cover JH tunes. I find it a challenge to try and replicate precisely what Mitchell laid down.

User Info Menu

We're covering a couple of Hendrix tunes in the classic rock band I'm rehearsing with now. It's my first time learning these songs and it is a challenge, especially for me, trying to get back to playing shape after a long layoff. But they are fun to play.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Real jazz/rock-blues fusion drummer! That's why it's fun to play those songs. And dynamics!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I think what I find to be facinating when watching my DVD of Hendrix at the Isle of Wight is how fluid he always seemed to be. Just stunningly fast and chopsy, but so organic at the same time, like he was discovering what he was going to play as he was playing it. Another word that has been used to describe his style is "tribal."

I agree with everyone here who thinks that he was underrated and often overlooked as a drummer, which is probably due to the fact that he was overshaddowed by Jimi, who is undoubtedly one of the most recognizable rock artists of all time, and that after Jimi died, he didn't really follow up with anything notable. Nevertheless though, he was an amazing drummer.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor dirt View Post
    Perfect drummer for Hendrix at that time and a very exciting drummer when you listen to the techniques he incorperated. A very "modern" drummer in the rock genre instead of playing boring rock back beats in 2/4 he jumped on top of the beat and set the pace so Hendrix had an up tempo groove to climb on.
    I think of Mitch as the Elvin Jones of rock, with his great cymbal playing along with the drumming. I saw him live with Jimi at a ball field in Bridgeport Conn in 1969 (raining and horrible sound co.)(played for 20 mins and apologized to everyone) then on the Yale Campus downtown New Haven Conn (my hometown) in Wholsey Hall on Nov. 17/69 (I think) and was outstanding, the best concert I ever attended. Two shows, saw them both so for 6 hours I learned a few lessons from the Experience. Then New Years Eve at the Filmore East, I saw 4 out of the 6 sessions (recordings) Band of Gypsys (minus Mitch with Buddy Miles on drums RIP) and Billy Cox on bass great sessions and fantastic playing. Hendrix sounded equally good with a great fat back drummer like Buddy or the on top playing of Mitch but what else would you expect.
    I had a young guitarist brought to me in the early 90s named Lance Lopez and I mentored him for about 15 months and gave him some connections to further his carreer. He won a few Hendrix show cases and actuall did a short tour with Mitch on drums and Billy on Bass.
    As far as a grade for British drummers to me Mitch is on top and none of the other "big names" could possibly perform the way he did with Jimi, I just don't see that at all.
    Theres some folks that are just tailored to work with others to form a perfect blend of their talents and Mitch playing drums with Jimi Hendrix has to be on the top of the list as far as a unique approach to what was gonna be an unusual stylings to begin with. Baker and Bonham nspired alot of people and certainly had their own signature style but none of them incorperated the methods and techinques in their playing like Mitch Mitchell did. He was a totally unique player and from what I heard of him personally a gentle man who was a gentlmen to any one and everyone. R.I.P Master Drummer! Doc
    I've got the Filmore New Year's double disk, so I know what you're saying. Jimi sounded great with Billy Miles, but Mitch just takes it to a whole other level. Mitch and Jimi had a trully special interplay. Also, props to Noel Redding for holding the whole thing together.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I could watch vids of him playing and listen to his playing every day. I seem to learn something new each time i see an old video. Great drummer and thanks for adding this thread.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Awesome drummer! One of the first guys I tried playing along to. Emphasis on "tried". This guy had some of the wildest high energy fast paced fills I ever heard. At the time I was learning, when I went down to my own set to have an attempt at it- it was just mind blowing. Way beyond anything i'd ever tried before, so attempting to work up to that level was a tremendous help as a skillbuilding tool.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

"Are You Experienced" Great Album!!! I wonder where those Sparkle Ludwig Drums are today. Would you love to have those? Mitch Mitchell played with John Lennon on "Yer Blue's" in the "Rolling Stones" Film "Rock & Roll Circus".
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

one of the best damn drummers on the planet!!!
    Jimmy had one heckuva little band

User Info Menu

A testament to his brilliance is the fact that you can spend as much time as you have either watching bands covering or drummers doing covers on Youtube trying versions of "Hey Joe" and I challenge you to find a guy that nails it like Mitch originally laid it down. The nuances, volume control and feel were awesome.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-18-2018 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

mitch had a style all of his own

i am always inspired when i hear his recordings, he's in my top 10 favorite drummers

if you ask a drummer what time it is?!? they're likely to respond with a time signature "oh, it's 4/4"....

User Info Menu

I remember back in the day when you got to the point where you could play Hendrix's Fire note for note, beat for beat on the kit you had arrived. My weekly jams with my friends include several Hendrix tunes. Mitch is a huge influence for me and one of the true great drummers that had his own very unique style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I remember back in the day when you got to the point where you could play Hendrix's Fire note for note, beat for beat on the kit you had arrived. My weekly jams with my friends include several Hendrix tunes. Mitch is a huge influence for me and one of the true great drummers that had his own very unique style.
    Back in the day? I think I might feel I'd arrived if I could do it today!...lol

User Info Menu

Olimpass,
    Thanks for posting that Mitch clip. Never saw that one. I really love his style, probably because Elvin is very much a hero of mine. He's like the rock Elvin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by t.ice View Post
    Olimpass,
    Thanks for posting that Mitch clip. Never saw that one. I really love his style, probably because Elvin is very much a hero of mine. He's like the rock Elvin!
    you're welcome t.ice. I love the vid too.

User Info Menu

I've been a Hendrix fan for a long time and Mitch's playing is locked into Jimi's guitar riff so tight, I wish I could collaborate with another musician on that level. It's uncanny how well the music flows.