Thread: Making a Drum Video.......?

User Info Menu

Default Making a Drum Video.......?

I would like to start making videos of myself drumming to critique myself and maybe eventually post to Youtube.

I have a simple Sony Bloggie HD pocket video camera mounted on a tripod, a Yamaha mixer with USB (unfortunately it's only 1.1) and a MacBook Pro. I was just messing around using Garageband 09 and iMovie 09 for the video and the free version of Audacity for the audio and then mating the two for the finished drum video. So far mating the audio and video hasn't been very easy and the finished video sound wise is just, ok.

What software are most of you using to mate audio and video? Or is what I'm using pretty good and it's just that I don't know how to use yet ? Thanks

PS- Even though it might be helpful to do so, there's no way I'm gonna post my first drum video, I look like a geek and my drumming sucks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Making a Drum Video.......?

You need mics, period. I don't know if there is a 1.1 to 2.0 USB convertor for your mixer, but I would look into it. Other than that you got a great camera, a great computer, all you need is some mics. *Unless you already have some, but you didn't mention it. So disregard what I said earlier if you already have mics*

Posting them on Youtube will bring some critique, but thats exactly what you're looking for, right? Try again with another video, just keep recording with audio and video it until you get it nailed!
    GarageBand is a good tool to edit with, get some tutorials on YouTube!
    And I love Audacity, so I would suggest to keep using it. Just because it's free doesn't mean it won't work good.
    Also get tutorials for that if you need them.
    And start with a slower, less complex song. Like Maroon 5: Won't Go Home Without You
    is a good example.
    If you need to get your playing lined up with your video, It's time consuming, but remember to give yourself a signal *like a stick twirl* to signal when the music comes in.
    There are some great videos on Youtube that help with matching up the audio with the video.
    It's a great resource of information and tutorials on Youtube, and some of the info I just gave you was from a few of them.
    Good luck, and I hope I was of some help to you! :D
    Last edited by DrumRookie; 09-02-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Cool, thanks!

User Info Menu

I am in the same boat as you mike but I am definitely gonna invest in some mics and I think you should too but I would love to have a macbook pro :D I will be using a pc do I will be using different software too.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

Use your Sony Bloggie for video/audio for now. Work on getting 2 condenser mics minimum for better quality recordings later, but for the meantime you can still make decent videos.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Sorry for the confusion guys. I already have everything mic'd. For now the audio coming directly from the mixer is being recorded using Audacity. I've been trying to use Garageband '09 or iMovie '09 to sync the audio fro Audacity to the video from the Bloggie with mixed results.

iMovie '11 is supposed to have a feature that shows the audio wave below the video along with another feature called Precision editor that make syncing much easier. So I might just upgrade iMovie. Thanks

User Info Menu

Sounds like a great plan! Hope you plan to make many cool drum videos and post them here :D lol jk, you don't have to, but it would be really cool to see how you play.
    Good luck!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

wellmixed Guest

Yeah, if you do the upgrade and the precision editor works out, please let me know. I know that FCP has that feature and people really like it.