Thread: Sheila E

User Info Menu

Default Sheila E

Sheila E

Drummer: Sheila Escovedo
    Main Style: Pop, Latin Fusion
    Main Band: E-Train
    Brief Summary: Sheila Escovedo was born into a musical family. The eldest child of Pete and Juanita Escovedo (she has two brothers, Juan and Peter Michael, and one sister, Zina), she started playing with the family instruments at the age of 3. From age 17, Sheila has recorded and toured extensively with renowned artists such as Babyface, Billy Cobham, Natalie Cole, George Duke, Pete Escovedo, Gloria Estefan, Marvin Gaye, Herbie Hanc_o_c_k, Stevie Nicks, Patti LaBelle, Cyndi Lauper, Prince, Lionel Richie, Diana Ross, Ringo Starr, Tito Puente, Don Was, Stevie Wonder and countless others.

Other Facts: In 1983, Sheila caught the attention of Prince and changed her name to "Sheila E.," and Prince helped her record her first solo album, "The Glamorous Life." The first single from the album, "The Glamorous Life," written, performed, and directed by Sheila E., was released in the spring of 1984 and earned popular and critical acclaim.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sheila E

"Sheila E. Ladies and gentlemen!" - From Dave Letterman
    When I first saw her play, it was on drum solo week number 1 on the Dave Letterman show. She has some really sweet grooves, and I like the way the crashes are positioned!
    And I don't know how she does it, but when I saw her on drum solo week, she was drumming with these huge high-heel things..
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    "Sheila E. Ladies and gentlemen!" - From Dave Letterman
    When I first saw her play, it was on drum solo week number 1 on the Dave Letterman show. She has some really sweet grooves, and I like the way the crashes are positioned!
    And I don't know how she does it, but when I saw her on drum solo week, she was drumming with these huge high-heel things..
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UNa2IF8Ook"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UNa2IF8Ook[/ame]

User Info Menu

I really enjoyed this....always been fascinated by female drummers. She is one of the best I've seen. I didn't know you could actually hit cymbals THAT hard. ...referring to ending in late8's video. All throughout, Sheila looks like she is having so much fun. Really down to earth. Nice post. Thanks
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Love her style, very ferocious and energetic. I like how she can go from almost not even playing, to faster than a speeding bullet, much like Chambers can. One of my favorite drummers, regardless of gender. Here she is back in the Prince days:
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think her Father was a percussionist for Santana.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

I got to see this lady play live with one of the RINGO'S ALL STARR tours.

She can most definitely kickass.

One great moment was immediately after her solo (which was jaw-dropping), Ringo came back out on stage and says, "I give her one lesson and look what happened !"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I think her Father was a percussionist for Santana.
    That's right, both Pete Escovedo, her father, and one uncle, Coke Escovedo (real name, Joseph Thomas Escovedo) were Santana's percussionists at one time.

Now, shall we play the "join the musical dots game" when it comes to the Escovedo family and famous drummers? Here we go, lol.

Apart from Sheila E, Pete is also the father to percussionist Peter Michael Escovedo (Wayne Brady Show, Mos Def, Stevie Nicks, etc) and another son, Juan, also is a percussionist. Sheila E also has another drumming cousin, René Escovedo. Pete and Coke Escovedo also had a Latin big band in the 70's called Azteca, which had a number of drummers play with them, such as jazz drummer Lenny White, (I think) Alex Acuña, and a very young Terry Bozzio (probably all of 17-18 at the time he joined). Azteca was also a starting point for Sheila E's career. And how's this? Peter Michael Escovedo is also the biological father of Nicole Richie, who was adopted by Lionel Richie when Peter Michael was briefly with him. Well...did you know Lionel Richie also plays drums?

Now, imagine a day when the whole family's out on a picnic....

"Sheila! Sheeeeeila! Did you bring the salsa?"
    "Salsa? Ay yi yiiih, not only that, but I brought the samba, the cha-cha and the merengue."
    "Merengue? As in lemon merengue pie?"
    (laughter breaks out)
    "Hey, cabron! Watch when you eating that salsa though, she made it muy picante, y'know?"
    "Why? Does it have jalapenos in it, bro?"
    "Noooo, even hotter....bongo chillies, man!"

Pete
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Tremendous talent and the fact that she looks good doing it certainly doesn't hurt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Love her style, very ferocious and energetic. I like how she can go from almost not even playing, to faster than a speeding bullet, much like Chambers can. One of my favorite drummers, regardless of gender. Here she is back in the Prince days:
    Damn she's quick....and beautiful

User Info Menu

I remember watching her on t.v.,singing and playing the timbales. She is incredible! IMO

User Info Menu

AH, I was hoping I'd find this thread on here...

One of my ultimate favorite percussionists of all time. She makes it look so easy... and damn, those high heels.

I play with no shoes. LOL
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China