Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Wrap?

User Info Menu

Default Re-Wrap?

I had recently pulled off the old black wrap of my Pacific kit. This was the one with the warping floor tom wrap. Pic below minus the 14" floor tom which I had given away to a young drummer. I'm thinking of either staining/polyurethane the drums or re-wrap. Not sure if I should do the inside this method though. Another issue I've noticed is the floor tom wood finish looks different than the bass and tom. I've found some cool looking wrap that will cost me approx. $150 for material and shipping. Now I'm just contemplating whether to stain or wrap. The wrap is worth more than the kit but I know would look cool. input would be appreciated..thanks in advance.

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-03-2011 at 03:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Re-Wrap?

I'd go for the wrap, it looks cool. And you'll have a nightmare trying to remove the old glue if you was to stain them.

By the way, that's a weird looking high tom arm, must be a home-brew.

User Info Menu

If you stain and the wood is of a different type from the other ones it's going to be lighter or darker. Although its alot of work to do either wrap or stain, if your not happy with the wood stain match or the clear coating you can always rewrap them. If you're concern is the money just stain them, the floor tom is down low and might not be as noticed as everything else if it turns out a different shade.

User Info Menu

rub some danish oil / tung oil on those drums and they should even out and all look fine. That pacific wrap is taped so there is no glue on those shells except where the tape was. You can get it off with goo gone. After applying the tung oil it will seal and bring out the grain in the wood. Give them a light sanding and 3 or 4 coats of lacquer between light sandings and those will look beautiful. Nice natural wood. I have done it with shells like those.
    This PDP drum originally had the black wrap and it had bubbled up all over. the same wood as yours.
    I used the above procedure. That wrap looks cool too if you want to spend the money. I might wait until I came across some really nice shells for that.
    Last edited by VIbes; 09-03-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

That wrap is officially called a "satin flame" but it has several other names elsewhere like efx, or swirls depending on manufacturer. It's usually more affordable and easier to work with than a glass glitter wrap design. If you have another better kit to play(in the event that this isn't your main playing kit), or you're not looking to spend too much money on restoring or protecting it, i'd go with a stain.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    rub some danish oil / tung oil on those drums and they should even out and all look fine. That pacific wrap is taped so there is no glue on those shells except where the tape was. You can get it off with goo gone. After applying the tung oil it will seal and bring out the grain in the wood. Give them a light sanding and 3 or 4 coats of lacquer between light sandings and those will look beautiful. Nice natural wood. I have done it with shells like those.
    this drum originally had the black wrap and it had bubbled up all over.
    I used the above procedure. That wrap looks cool too if you want to spend the money. I might wait until I came across some really nice shells for that.
    Must admit that finish is really nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    By the way, that's a weird looking high tom arm, must be a home-brew.
    I used some 1/2" emt conduit...lol...thanks GunnerUK

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    If you stain and the wood is of a different type from the other ones it's going to be lighter or darker. Although its alot of work to do either wrap or stain, if your not happy with the wood stain match or the clear coating you can always rewrap them. If you're concern is the money just stain them, the floor tom is down low and might not be as noticed as everything else if it turns out a different shade.
    Good point about if I don't like how it may turn out...thanks Spiderjig

This PDP drum originally had the black wrap and it had bubbled up all over. the same wood as yours.
    Thanks for the Goo Gone tip, it worked very well. I've only lightly sanded the drums and Tung oiled the insides so far. Your drum does look nice like that but I'm looking for maybe some color instead of the natural color of this wood. thanks VIbes

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    That wrap is officially called a "satin flame" but it has several other names elsewhere like efx, or swirls depending on manufacturer. It's usually more affordable and easier to work with than a glass glitter wrap design. If you have another better kit to play(in the event that this isn't your main playing kit), or you're not looking to spend too much money on restoring or protecting it, i'd go with a stain.
    If that wrap had a little green in it, I'd say it'd be peacok Satin Flame but it's called blue-red optical film from this manuf....thanks Russ

I had already Tung oiled the insides and never bothered to remove the grommets. (unless I were to re-wrap it) Looks like I may be going with the stain. I already have some poly-shade that's a stain/polyurethane (Pecan, looks glossy orangie) in one shot which I may try for the outsides only or I was maybe thinking possibly a green tea then clear poly or laquer over it. What if I dumped glitter in the poly?

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-03-2011 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I, too, once pulled some old black wrap off my drums, lightly sanded off the glue, and stained with a single application of red mahogony. Sprayed on a few foats of satin clear coat. Scrubbed the chrome in ther sink. Ended up with a more classy looking kit with a much much better sound as well with the restricting wrap off the shells. These were Beechwood shells from a '68 set of Sonors, BTW. Maybe spent about $100 and 15 hours of time, most of that sanding off the old glue.

The extra 16" floor is also a '68 Sonor, but with its original rosewood veneer.
    13" Pork Pie snare.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Very Nice Sonors JohnnyG!

User Info Menu

stained 2 so far

User Info Menu

am i seeing a reen tint there .. .. The Tin Toad approves
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

nice job so far. looking good
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

VIbes that floor tom is beautiful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    am i seeing a reen tint there .. .. The Tin Toad approves
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    nice job so far. looking good
    Thanks gentlemen. I'm working on 3rd coat of poly now.

User Info Menu

Here's how they came out. I really like the sound for a Poplar wood kit?

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Wow! You did a great job here. If you were to judge these from a finish standpoint, you'd think the shells were brand new. Have you noticed any difference in sound now that you stripped and refinished them?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Here's how they came out. I really like the sound for a Poplar wood kit?

I love that finish. Glad you didn't listen to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Have you noticed any difference in sound now that you stripped and refinished them?
    Thanks Russ, I think it did make a slight difference for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    I love that finish. Glad you didn't listen to me
    Thanks GunnerUK, the best part is I can always cover them again later.

User Info Menu

I'm with Russ and Gunner, they look sweet man
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

Looks pretty good. Id consider some more coats of clear and some wet sanding.

User Info Menu

Those drums turned out great. I really like the finish. Good Work!

User Info Menu

Nice job man..they came out great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    I'm with Russ and Gunner, they look sweet man
    Thank you drumstix!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Looks pretty good. Id consider some more coats of clear and some wet sanding.
    Thanks NR. This is an entry level kit so I didn't want to go too much crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Those drums turned out great. I really like the finish. Good Work!
    Thank you thunderstruck

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice job man..they came out great!
    As always, thanks again Late8
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Those look good. You had some nice grain going on with those shells. Would have looked better than mine. A couple more coats of lacquer would shine up nice on those.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Those look good. You had some nice grain going on with those shells. Would have looked better than mine. A couple more coats of lacquer would shine up nice on those.
    Thanks VIbes, I might just do that.