Thread: Snare drum tuning

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum tuning

Hey everyone.

I just want to give you all a heads up. Maybe you all already know this and I'm finally coming around.

I was thinking about my Pearl Masters snare tonight as I was getting ready to start the 2nd set of the night. I recalled how my Starphonic sounded after tightening the heads.

I took that to the Pearl tonight which I don't think I'd tuned it since when I received it I really liked the way it sounded. But I went ahead and brought both sides up a full turn and oh man did that ever liven up the drum and bring out a tone in the wood I'd not heard yet. That drum sounds amazing. I'm sorry I can't describe it but words can't express how it sounded. I even wear ear plugs when I play and the difference was very noticeable.

So I guess all I'm saying is don't be afraid to crank it up a turn if you're not happy with your current snare drum sound.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Disclaimer: Poster bears no responsibility for damage to drum or head due to user error in over tightening.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum tuning

ive got a Gretsch thats the same way, wound very tight and its louder than my brass piccolo. i tuned it down and it didnt like it.

User Info Menu

I tune tight as well. I just don't like the sound of a low tuned snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I tune tight as well. I just don't like the sound of a low tuned snare.
    Agreed: tough doing a "buzz roll" on a snare tuned as loosely as a tom!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I recently did the same thing with my Black Panther. I had it tuned pretty low and I was happy with the sound, but on a suggestion from Larrysperf, I tightened the heads a little to see how it sounded and I was blown away! I thought it sounded amazing before and now it sounds even better!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Not sure if this is considered "tight", but I tune my snare drums to where the bottom head is at about a "G" and the batter side to a "B"...very pleased with the results!

Just my $0.02...
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

I usually go for medium tunings. It just sounds like an overall sweet spot for the drum to me. Not too low, not too high, in between and just right. Sometimes however, I will try to get it in between medium and high. With the kick i'll do the opposite and try for in between medium and low. Seems to be quite beastly using any of these tunings, just wish they'd stay there so I wouldn't need to do it over.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Bish my Masters snare is tuned high with the dial at 90 and found that it sounds the best tighter. I also found the best head for the Masters is the EC frosted with reverse dot. I think I probably was one of the first on this site to own a MCX snare ( not to brag)as others had followed my footsteps and have been pleased with that snare.

User Info Menu

Bish my Masters snare is tuned high with the dial at 90 and found that it sounds the best tighter.
    Are you using the TAMA tension watch for your settings?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I recently did the same thing with my Black Panther. I had it tuned pretty low and I was happy with the sound, but on a suggestion from Larrysperf, I tightened the heads a little to see how it sounded and I was blown away! I thought it sounded amazing before and now it sounds even better!
    +1

You saved me from typing out that exact post.

User Info Menu

im going to do the same thing to my Cadeson Maple Twist immediately; I'll let you know how it turns out Bish Thanks for the advice.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbkk View Post
    im going to do the same thing to my Cadeson Maple Twist immediately; I'll let you know how it turns out Bish Thanks for the advice.
    Cool. I'm curious to see what you find!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've got my big ol' 14x7 cranked super high. Love some pop and some depth.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Yeah, man. Crank it up. Loud and proud. Play with the snare tightness as well. Crank that up. Sharp pop, awesome rebound action. I thought most everybody cranks em' up. Guess not.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Snare drum tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Are you using the TAMA tension watch for your settings?
    Yes it is Bish.I play mostly classic soft to hard rock. All my toms are tuned in the 45-55 range. Reso being the a little tighter. Does that sound right to you?
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-07-2011 at 01:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful Kai View Post
    +1

You saved me from typing out that exact post.
    +2
    +1

Me too. I tuned my toms up a little higher last night and got a bit more snare buzz so I cranked the snare side and batter up and wow, it still sounds quite low in pitch but has much more tone now.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband

User Info Menu

I learned the hard way not to become to reliant on tuning high. I believe that each drum, be it a snare, a bass drum, or a tom- each have a sweet spot and when you take it too high or too low the best sound you can get from that drum becomes lost. Another reason I do not "crank" heads, is because it's entirely too easy to mess up and snap lugs due to overstressing. I go for the middle ground where it sounds it's best. Some snares want to be tuned lower, and some want higher tunings however, so this is the exception to the rule of thumb I practice.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think that most drums have a sweet spot, but with snares I tend to lean toward tighter rather than looser, although I've come down a lot from how I used to tune when I first started drumming 8 years ago. Too tight and the snare starts to sound boxy and lifeless, so it's really a matter of dialing it in, and then maintaining the tuning from that point forward - usually not too difficult once the head settles - then it's usually a matter of pulling up tension rods that have loosened a bit through playing.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

For me its all about rebound.I like em tight.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Tight tight tight. That's how I tune my snare.