Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear Protection discussion -again probably

User Info Menu

Default Ear Protection discussion -again probably

I'm sitting here after a full four hours of rocking out in a bar. As I'm listening to how quiet everything is, I realize my ears aren't ringing nearly as bad as they do sometimes. Why? Because I used ear protection all night long.

There are times when I really want to hear the drums and ignore how badly my ears ring afterwards. Then my ears ring for days and lately I've noticed that in very quiet rooms I can really hear how much my ears do ring all the time.

It sucks.

If you want to know how you are doing personally, walk into a room such as a walk-in closet or some space that's only a few feet by a few feet in size and hopefully with some sound deadening and listen to see what you do or don't hear.

Any more I hear ringing that used to go away after a long night of gigging.

If I don't want things to get much worse very quickly I'm going to always have to wear ear protection forever.

However, I do wear hearing protection voluntarily while performing yard maintenance such as mowing, edging and trimming.

In summary, I'd just like to say that please give your ears serious consideration in making the choice of whether or not to wear hearing protection whenever you are around loud situations.

Just remember, it's your choice and your hearing.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ear Protection discussion -again probably

What?

Seriously, a very good tip. I had to put some earplugs on because I had a piercing pain from a loudspeaker set up too close to the kit..man, every so often a note would just create so much pain I was abruptly turning my head and trying to block the noise with my left shoulder to my ear while still playing.

User Info Menu

I gave this some serious consideration some time ago.

I bought a pair of 'Hearos' which are supposedly designed for muso's.

Tried them and loathed them. I mean, the reason we play drums is because we love the sound of drums, right?

But with the Hearos in everthing was dead, like hitting cardboard boxes and bin lids. Took all the life out of the music.

For me the only answer is control the volume. Keep stage levels low and if you need it loud for larger venues then pump the volume out front through the pa. But keep the stage levels low.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    I gave this some serious consideration some time ago.

I bought a pair of 'Hearos' which are supposedly designed for muso's.

Tried them and loathed them. I mean, the reason we play drums is because we love the sound of drums, right?

But with the Hearos in everthing was dead, like hitting cardboard boxes and bin lids. Took all the life out of the music.

For me the only answer is control the volume. Keep stage levels low and if you need it loud for larger venues then pump the volume out front through the pa. But keep the stage levels low.
    Did you use the foam hearos, or the ones that are designed to only remove 12db? I have the ones that are washable and only take away 12db, i doesnt kill the sound at all, it just lowered the volume. Cymbals are still highs kicks are still lows. I can play loud without it being overwhelming.

If you werent using the 12db ones, i suggest you try them

Otherwise i have found that a pair of noise cancelling headphones actually lowers the volume but makes my drums sound incredible. Just turn them on and dont plug them in. I use some $60 sony ones.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Did you use the foam hearos, or the ones that are designed to only remove 12db?
    The ones I have are called 'Rock n roll series'. They're kinda black rubbery type stuff with a white tubular insert.

I think I'll try the 12db ones, thanks for the info Zeta.

User Info Menu

well I made the decision not to a long time ago and mine are shot. the ringing is constant, non stop. I wear them at work and when doing lawn work like you do Bish. I just can't when I'm playing.

My wris****ch alarm was going off one day while I was wearing it and never heard a thing until someone told me. Simple pleasures like hearing crickets on a hot summer night are gone.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

after having a lifetime of issues with my ears, they have finally agreed to keep consistent, but not without at least 40% hearing loss in my right ear.

I use Vic Firth (Peltor) ear defenders when I drum, because I know what its like to lose your hearing uncontrollably forever. I couldn't possibly value the hearing I have left any more, and for that I have expressed the same religious protection-wearing onto my son.

User Info Menu

I use headphone type like protection like the ones loggers or guys working with chain saws use. They work fine and I can still hear my drums when in my studio playing around solos etc. Not sure how much db they muffle but enough that my ears don't ring afterwards.I forgot to mention the reason why I use this type is that I wear hearing aids because of the damage to my ears over the years chainsaws, motor cycles, sleds etc. I am 60 years old and your ears do go as you age.

User Info Menu

The ones I have are called 'Rock n roll series'. They're kinda black rubbery type stuff with a white tubular insert.

you want the hi-fi series(clear)...rock n' roll (black) not so good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    you want the hi-fi series(clear)...rock n' roll (black) not so good
    +1

Gunner, I think you'll find these much better than the black ones.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

I've never used ear protection until just recently. I just never liked the muffling effect that you get when using ear plugs. Because of this I have suffered some high end hearing loss. So a few months ago I decided to put a mic on each kick drum and two over heads above my kit and I stared wearing studio monitor headphones. This gives me great sound with the ability to control the volume. My kit sound so good in the headphones I now do not like playing without them.

User Info Menu

I always use headphones when I play, not worth ruining my ears later on. Sometimes I even break out bubble gum and chew it between songs to lessen the effect of noise. Since I always play in a soundtreated room however, i've been noticing less harmful noise that can damage ears. Gotta say I rather like things that way.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

No problem. I prefer them because they take away volume not tone.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I always wear earmuffs. Don't notice ringing at all after a few hours of playing, i've got a pretty damn sweet set of earmuffs.

User Info Menu

rubber "shooter" plugs, silicone moldable plugs, or a set of noise suppressing "ear muffs" also used while mowing the lawn! All work pretty well-silicone plugs are the cheapest, easiest to wear and disposable(who washes silicone?)
    Last edited by slinglander; 09-04-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: text

User Info Menu

the silicone ear plugs where hi-tech stuff when i started playing and extremely expensive

User Info Menu

I use a combination. I have sme bog standard workmen style ear defenders. I use these because they are quick and easy to put on when I just want to spend some time on snare exercises, where the tone of the drum doesn't really matter. I also put my earbud headphones inside them when I'm learning a song so I can hear it over my own drums and keep the volume down.

But they do mess up the sound a lot, which you'd expect as workmen don't really care about even frequency response!

For when I want to hear my drums, I use Alpine Musicsfe pro. these are fantastic, it's like someone has just turned down the volume dial on the world, but all the sounds are the same as without, just minus the pain and damage.

I'm a total convert to hearing protection now. I have a bit of ringing from gigs when I was younger and I definitely don't want to make it worse. I also keep some spare cans about for when people come in the practise room to listen (especially my kids), so they can be safe too.

Stupidly though, when I went to a gig the other month (Cinderella in London), I forgot to take my plugs. they have a switchable insert to allow more or less volume through, and I had planned to take them along and wear them on the lowest setting to take the edge off the gig. But in the rush out the door I forgot and didn't remember till I was in the venue and realising how loud it was. Only one day of messed up hearing as a result, but that's a day too much. Man I regret all those gigs I went to as a kid when my hearing would be be gone for a week after, I really hope I can educate my kids before they do the same.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

I played for years without any sort of ear protection but decided a couple years ago that I probably should try and protect my hearing to some degree. Went down to a local hardware shop and got some earmuffs and a mate at church gave me a box of foam earplugs to use at church too. I'm looking at pursuing a career in the audio industry so preserving my hearing is a must.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

When I started gigging with the Roland kit, I stupidly didn't use the Elacin ER-20s I bought as the sound obviously doesn't come directly from the pads anyway, so you feel even more disconnected from what you're playing. Then, like several here, one time the ringing didn't go away, so whatever the inconvenience I started to wear them.

After I switched to acoustic kit, I continued to wear the ER-20s, but I was finding that I still had worse ringing after playing (even though I'm by no means a heavy player), although this eventually diminished to the background tinnitus that I've learnt to cope with. So a few months ago I took the plunge and went for some professional Elacin earplugs, rated at 25db (so that's effectively turning down the volume by around 75%). As Bish says, to come off a gig with no extra ringing is fantastic, and for me the biggest test is when you lay down to sleep in silence. I remember with horror some brutal gigs in the past when this was the time you realised, as you lay in the dark, what hell you'd just put your ears through.

My job is working with classical music recordings, so my hearing is very much part of my livliehood, and to not be able to enjoy the extreme subtlety and dynamic contrast of classical (and other) music would just mean life would hardly be worth living for me. I had a hearing test when I had the earplugs made, and was relieved to discover that my hearing is actually still as good as a 25-year old (I'm 53 now). As I say, the level of tinnitus I have is not a problem day to day, but I hope my experience is a huge endorsement of hearing protection, however boring the subject may appear when you're young and invincible!
    A-kit: Mapex 6-pc Saturn V in Deep Water Maple Burl
    1976 Ludwig Supraphonic 400, DW Design Black Nickel over Brass and Black Panther Velvetone snares
    14" Zildjian A Mastersound hi-hats
    21" Meinl Byzance Transition Ride
    18" Sabian AAX China
    Many Paiste Signature cymbals!
    Roland SPD:ONE Percussion pad

Protection Racket cases

E-kit: Roland TD-12 with VEX

User Info Menu

One thing I forgot to mention is that I always wear headphones when playing along to a song. However, if i'm playing by myself and not along to other band members or a song, then I will add something to plug my ears as well. It all depends on if I need to hear something that i'm supposed to be following or not.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

lol I'm sorry but there's some funny stuff in this thread. Were all pretty much on the same page. Now the real question is can you eat food while wearing your protection? I swore I couldn't but have worn them at work for the last 12yrs so now it's ok. The real cruchy stuff is a little harder to do..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I wear both ear plugs and noise canceling headphones. My dad has been playing guitar and shooting guns for nearly 40+ years and he is really hard of hearing. Mom works for Tenn school for the deaf so I know how bad Dj'ing, drums, concerts, etc can be. The only thing that is a hassle is when your trying to talk to people at a show.

I realized early on that their is no way that I was going to lose the ability to listen to music EVER.

Just think how much life would suck if you could not hear music.

User Info Menu

Always wear hearing protection. Couldn't imagine either losing some hearing, or have to endure constant ringing all the time. That would drive me crazy to never enjoy complete silence anymore. Cutting the grass, weed whacking, snow blowing, operating hand drills and saws, I use those soft nerf type ear plugs. If I don't have them with me I use toilet paper. Concerts I use a set of High Fidelity Heros. Playing along with the boy at home we use Sennheiser HD 280 Pros. I'm sorry about you guys with hearing loss and ringing in your ears, but you guys would be the first to say now that it's foolish to not wear protection no matter how uncool it might look. Sorry about your condition because there isn't a cure for it. But I read somewhere were they think that the ringing in the ears is not so much ear damage, but it's an area in your brain that suffers damage and causes the ringing. There might be a pill available that targets that damage and lessens the ringing.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I've been using a set of those custom-molded in-ears going straight to my metronome. The in ears GREATLY cut down volume and allow me to keep my metronome at a decent volume, while still hearing the drums just fine and my floor monitor at a great volume. I really like this set up. If we run an in-ear system for the whole band then I just use that so I'd already be using in-ears, but we mostly use floor monitors so the in-ears just cut the volume down. I've never experienced ringing yet so hopefully I can keep it that way!
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

I stick my thumbs in my ears while I play.