• maybe

10 18.52%
  • somewhat

10 18.52%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many have hearing problems

User Info Menu

Default How many have hearing problems

Hi just curious to see how many drummers have hearing problems caused by years of playing drums. I wonder sometimes how many of the big names like Neil Peart, Ian Paice, Tommy Lee, Denis Chambes etc have hearing problem. Just a Poll so answer as honestly as possible. This should be interesting.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many have hearing problems

i lost alot of my hearing from work, drumming doesnt help seeing as i have an ipod blarring in my ears while doing so

User Info Menu

As most of y'all know I do. Think alot about it and not just from drums a short list of thing that I'm sure have contributed....

played in Jr.and High school bands
    many groups over the years
    helicopter mechanic in the army
    had killer stereo equipment that i played way too loud
    hot rods and race cars most of my life
    body shop for about 15 years
    wife screaming at me for years

i am trying now to get a way to play at a very,very low volume. Gotta completely block out the stage sound and put it in some kinda very quiet headphones. Played the rolands last night and kept lowering the volume and found a point that if i could get the headphone volume to on stage i could keep playing !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Drumming, yes, but not only. Guitar, bass, PA systems etc. have not helped.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

i was at the starting line when an alcohol funny car did a burnout as my friend tried to get my attention, i unplugged my ears to hear what he had to say as the car lit em up, the pain i felt was beyond description, my left ear has never been the same.

User Info Menu

huh?????????
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I probably have fairly normal hearing for someone my age, but I am sure that loud concert music while in college, loud car & home stereos, and guitar amps cranked too high have had a little impact on my hearing. It's not nearly as bad for me as some people that I talk to, and drumming hasn't had much impact yet, but it's still early in the game. I have taken seriously the discussions here about hearing protection, so I am sure that is why I am doing as well as I am.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yes, but its not related to music.

User Info Menu

my ears ring all the time I can ignore it most of the time its from playing a long time with no ear protection

User Info Menu

I think if I have hearing loss it is more from drumming in Marching band than on my drumset. The high pitched snares, the crash cymbals, the bass drums at ear level pounding away. Horn lines right behind you, that kind of thing. Typically in a drumset setting, I wouldn't be right in front of a loud amp, but in a drum line setting, you have to stay where you are and deal.

Tan

User Info Menu

Hmm hearing loss.. I have to admit i've been rather fortunate in this particular area. I suppose most people exposed to what I have been exposed to WOULD suffer some sort of hearing loss at some point in their life. From getting yelled at by family, friends, and bosses at work- to loud music, jam sessions, being close to windows breaking, etc. There are plenty of reasons I should be, but I guess i've just been able to avoid it thus far. Who knows which way Lady Luck will smile?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I voted "somewhat". Minimal hearing loss, but I have a little ringing in the ears.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I have a little bit of background ringing, but it probably isn't linked to drumming. Day to day it doesn't bother me, but its there if I stop and pay attention.

Most likely this comes from going to rock gigs (as a punter) when I was younger, and many, many times coming home from nightclubs with ringing ears.

But, I didn't notice it until last year. I'd just started playing drums and wasn't using protection as it hadn't occured to me. But reading on here educated me in the error of my ways and I likely switched to using protection before any further damage was done. I think that becoming aware of the danger though might have made me recognise the damage I already had from my younger days.

So a big thanks to DC for getting me on the right track! Also, a pre-emptive thanks from my kids, who will now be educated in this subject so they can avoid thier father's mistakes.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Chronic tinnitus from a tympanoplasty (ear drum surgery) due to a hole left in ear drum from having a tube in it because of constant ear infections due to allergies. Also suffer from hearing loss due to occupational hazards from working in the automotive industry for 10 years before changing occupation.

The tinnitus I suffer is severe. It's very loud and if I concentrate on it for too long...it'll drive me crazy. I sleep with a CPAP mask for my apena so the air pump creates enough "white noise" to cover up the ringing. I wear ear plugs whenever I can.

User Info Menu

What?

User Info Menu

I've got significant ringing in my ears. (Tinnitus) I used to worry about it more when I first got it but you learn to tune it out. It has gotten worse over the years and I'm hoping that it doesn't get too awful loud. I think it would drive one nutty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Hi just curious to see how many drummers have hearing problems caused by years of playing drums. I wonder sometimes how many of the big names like Neil Peart, Ian Paice, Tommy Lee, Denis Chambes etc have hearing problem. Just a Poll so answer as honestly as possible. This should be interesting.
    Huh?

I can't hear you

(Maybe that explains why Neil wears his little hat, and why Dennis always chews gum)
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I don't have ringing or anything of the sort but I do have major problems hearing certain words and certain words next to other words.
    Like; DO Laundry, go to the grocery, honey I need money, Stop playing those drums!, Inlaws are coming, we should go dancing, etc.
    Doctor diagnosed it as "Selective Hearing Loss" and said it was usually accompanied with black eyes and cold sleepless nights in a dog house. Hmmmmmmmm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    I don't have ringing or anything of the sort but I do have major problems hearing certain words and certain words next to other words.
    Like; DO Laundry, go to the grocery, honey I need money, Stop playing those drums!, Inlaws are coming, we should go dancing, etc.
    Doctor diagnosed it as "Selective Hearing Loss" and said it was usually accompanied with black eyes and cold sleepless nights in a dog house. Hmmmmmmmm.
    Man...that was funny!!

User Info Menu

I've been around alot of loud things in my life, the drums are among the least loudest I've been around. Race cars, race bikes, many different guns, loud music ect. were some of the louder things I've been subject to. These things are what causes my ringing. It has good days and bad, but it's mostly subject to the days activities at work. I were ear protection all day at work, the ringing is all but gone, if I decide to not were it all day, some nights can be miserable.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Mine is a combination of years of playing by stacks of amps, and a couple of concussions that I had in the service.

Probably a lot of "older" drummers have hearing problems because in the 60's, 70's, 80's and probably the 90's, most drummers didn't wear ear protection.

User Info Menu

Not to belabour the point, but as illustration, I 'listened' to this post...

...Most Toys Wins...

...and can no longer appreciate the excellent chime/cymbal rack that Copeland plays. Those are the exact frequencies that I lack. Looks like 'air drumming' to me. I know the song from back then, so I know what I'm missing. Damned shame..!
    Once it's gone, it's gone. Please use adequate ear protection at all times, kids. It's not a question of risk, but of certainty.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

what?
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I've had tinnitus for years. It started to get bad last year and I stopped all naked ear drumming. Now it's back to the normal ringing I'm used to.

User Info Menu

I have always relied on Vic Firth spiral earplugs to block most of the loud drum sound out when I'm drumming.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo