Twenty years ago I purchased a pair of black fiberglass CP congas for nearly $400. They've served me well (and you may recall seeing them in my first avatar).

What a difference 20 years make!

The Synergy congas I played this evening during a drum lesson at my buddy's drum shop offer more than those CPs...for about $100 less (although some websites are offering the set as low as $230.00).

Synergy is a Toca line comparable to LP's Asprire or CP range. Until recently, Synergy has been best known for its world percussion; this could change with these congas. At first glance, I thought the 10" and 11" drums were black fiberglass--but they are two-ply maple and, in this set, stained a very dark cherry that all but obliterated the wood grain.

The only thing the Synergy congas have in common with the ol' CPs are comfort-curve heads (except the new ones are black powder-coat rather than chrome. The heads, of heavy bison skin, rang a bit on rimshots, but since they were delivered, set up and tuned for the first time this afternoon, that can (and will) be remedied with play and fine-tuning. The maple shells gave them the warm sound and depth that only wood can.

I liked the four-bolt tripod stand, which features a rubber pad that not only protects the drums but also the center post from bumps and bangs, even when you play hard and fast. I played them standing (these drums are heavy!), but seated players will like the rubber rims that protect the bottom edges from scuffing the floor--and vice versa.

My drum teacher took delivery of two sets of these congas this afternoon--and sold one of them before I took my lesson. I have the feeling this set may surprise congueros looking for a good starter set...or a good value.