View Poll Results: Favorite front man for Van Halen?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sammy Hagar

8 29.63%
  • David Lee Roth

19 70.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

User Info Menu

Default David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

The Alex Van Halen thread got me to thinking. While he is one of my all-time favorite drummers, who was your favorite lead man for VH? Personally, I couldn't stand David Lee Roth. Sammy all the way for me!

Randy

User Info Menu

Default Re: David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar

Sammy for me too.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Roth!!!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Roth was VH.

Sammy is Hagar whether he teams up with VH or not.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Hagar can sing Roth's stuff but Roth cant sing Hagars.

User Info Menu

I think part of it depends on when you started listening to VH and how old you were at the time. For me, VH and David Lee Roth go hand in hand - David Lee Roth IS Van Halen. At the end of the day, Roth could get a band together of talented folks and roll out the VH tunes and it would still sound like classic VH. Hagar has his place too, but only as the replacement for the original, much like many people think of Brian Johnson as a replacement for Bon Scott for AC/DC. The main difference is that Bon died, so the argument of who should be leading the band is irrelevant. In the case of VH, there is good case for argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Hagar can sing Roth's stuff but Roth cant sing Hagars.
    I totally disagree with that. Roth's vocals are very distinctive and can't really be copied.

For me it's Roth all the way.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I think part of it depends on when you started listening to VH and how old you were at the time. For me, VH and David Lee Roth go hand in hand - David Lee Roth IS Van Halen. At the end of the day, Roth could get a band together of talented folks and roll out the VH tunes and it would still sound like classic VH. Hagar has his place too, but only as the replacement for the original, much like many people think of Brian Johnson as a replacement for Bon Scott for AC/DC. The main difference is that Bon died, so the argument of who should be leading the band is irrelevant. In the case of VH, there is good case for argument.

I totally disagree with that. Roth's vocals are very distinctive and can't really be copied.

For me it's Roth all the way.
    My first Van Halen album was Diver Down, so that blows one theory out of the water lol.

I didnt say Sammy mimiced Dave, but he can physically sing any of Roths stuff, Roth simply cant hit the notes Sammy can. Do you really think they wouldnt play their biggest selling hits out of spite? No its because without Sammy or Mike nobody can hit the notes.

User Info Menu

roth all the way. the first VH record was spectacular ..both are great singers but i think roth is the better entertainer...
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Youre kidding me...Right. I mean, come on man. :/
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Sammy Hagar. I like music from both eras but Hagar really took the band to a different level. Sammy Hagar is a talented vocalist and song writer. He continues to write and perform, not because he has to, but because he wants to.

I really like Van Halen, but this current line up is a joke. No Michael Anthony, what is that about? Anthony was essential for that band, even if just for his vocals alone.

Check out Sammy Hagar's book, Red, My Uncensored Life In Rock. Great read
    Last edited by thunderstruck; 09-05-2011 at 06:19 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the band with both singers..but for me the best VH was with Roth leading the band....

User Info Menu

My first Van Halen album was Diver Down, so that blows one theory out of the water lol.
    That was my first VH album too. Man, how good is Alex's double kick on "The Full Bug"? That song is kickin'!!

But getting back to the point in question.......Diamond Dave every time guys. Like Bish said.....he WAS van halen.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    I really like Van Halen, but this current line up is a joke. No Michael Anthony, what is that about? Anthony was essential for that band, even if just for his vocals alone.
    Yeah, I agree. Alot of people probably dont recognise that Michael Anthonys vocals were as important to the whole VH sound as any other player.
    Just give VH a listen. Those signature high backing vocals (that they do all the time) were MA's. The other boys sang too, but MA's vocs were the standouts.
    Hey, he might be the best singer they've had.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Alot of people probably dont recognise that Michael Anthonys vocals were as important to the whole VH sound as any other player.
    Just give VH a listen. Those signature high backing vocals (that they do all the time) were MA's. The other boys sang too, but MA's vocs were the standouts.
    Hey, he might be the best singer they've had.
    Mike was the lead singer of his own band before joining Van Halen.

Do you know who Eddie wanted for a singer before their management told them to hook up with Roth?

User Info Menu

Mike was the lead singer of his own band before joining Van Halen.

Do you know who Eddie wanted for a singer before their management told them to hook up with Roth?
    Uuuuuh?....Mike?.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    i like the band with both singers..but for me the best vh was with roth leading the band....
    +1
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
    Uuuuuh?....Mike?.
    Sammy Hagar

User Info Menu

Sammy Hagar
    Man!. That would have been my second guess.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

I tend to lean more strongly into a band's original members vs their replacements. Roth was the first singer I knew of in Van Halen, so naturally i'm going to like him over Hagar. Both are amazing singers though, serious voices of that genre and era.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Roth was right for Van Halen - Sammy Hagar was better on his own
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Funny thing is in all honesty Im fans of both. I just prefer the music with Hagar.

User Info Menu

I'm with those that feel that they both made important contributions to VH. I admit to liking the sound of VH better with David Lee Roth, but only because of his showmanship, and because his voice was the first one I heard, and it became part of the VH sound for me. Having said that, Sammy Hagar has shown that he is an extremely talented, and versatile guy. IMHO, David Lee Roth needed VH to be a star, while Sammy Hagar was a star on his own.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Roth, all the way.....and if I hear I can't drive 55 one more time I am going to throw up. I can not stand Sammy's voice.....at all ! Guess you know how I feel, now.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

I always felt that VH was just a little too pop in the years immediately following Diamond Dave's departure from the group. They had some ok hits during that timeframe, but when I think "Van Halen" the songs that first come to mind are:

Jump
    Panama
    Hot for Teacher
    Everybody Wants Some
    Top Jimmy

None of those are Hagar tunes - all are Roth.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.