Thread: Time signatures

User Info Menu

Default Time signatures

Just to show how confusing this subject can be, Here's a post I put on another forum a week ago. [link removed]

In fact, it can get even more confusing. I remember Kenny Clare [link removed] telling me about touring with Tom Jones. They had a gig with a major Classical Orchestra in the States, but they had a problem in that all of the arrangements for any of the shuffle and swing stuff he did were in 4/4 and in that case, when two 8th notes are written, the Swing is implied. ie they are played as triplets with the middle note missed out. The Orchestra just couldn't get it, so in the end, The MD, Andre Previn ( http://en.wikipedia....dr%C3%A9_Previn ) rewrote all of the orchestra parts in 12/8, even though the rest of the band were in 4/4 so they would get the phrasing to sound right
    What Andre did, would be every bit as crazy, and talking about as irrelevant, as writing say a journey tune in 9/8. Except, It happened.

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Time signatures

Dude give it a rest.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Time signatures

Andy, I closed the other thread because it was getting divisive. Now I have no issue with you personally but you just linked to two drum forums, which you know is against the forum rules. At this point, you're pushing the envelope. Please just let it go. There are some things that just can't be agreed upon. I've let it go and I'm asking you to do the same.