Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My teacher always said Practice Your Rudiments - check this out

User Info Menu

Default My teacher always said Practice Your Rudiments - check this out

Wayne's World !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuGKVEvqnb0&feature=channel_video_title"]Wayne Oien 2011 Snare Solo 1st Place D.C.A. - YouTube[/ame]
    Gary

User Info Menu

Default Re: My teacher always said Practice Your Rudiments - check this out

Awesome!

User Info Menu

Nice visuals too. I'm not sure whether that was intended or not but it was a nice touch.

User Info Menu

I think I've seen the phrase "I don't need to know the rudiments" a few times around here. Really? Care to re-think that now?

User Info Menu

He definitely has chops, but I'd rather watch something like this - I was a member of this group for 7 years as a bugler.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLdvTxkGWoc"]Old Guard Fife & Drum Corps - Freezer Jam 2010 - Drum Solo - YouTube[/ame]

or

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxpWcwtxHlg"]OG Quintet Solo - YouTube[/ame]
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I bet he couldn't play that intro with three sticks in each hand...joking.

That was awesome. He really looked like he was having fun with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I think I've seen the phrase "I don't need to know the rudiments" a few times around here. Really? Care to re-think that now?
    A comment like that, for anyone that's serious about becoming a decent player, is just silly. Drum rudiments are at the core of drumming. Hence the name "rudiments" meaning rudimentary. As I've said a million times (Ok, not quite a million ), you don't even need to know all of them but you do need a good handful under your belt.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A comment like that, for anyone that's serious about becoming a decent player, is just silly. Drum rudiments are at the core of drumming. Hence the name "rudiments" meaning rudimentary. As I've said a million times (Ok, not quite a million ), you don't even need to know all of them but you do need a good handful under your belt.
    Ditto Ditto Ditto

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Ditto Ditto Ditto
    Or......diddle diddle diddle
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It's certainly impressive, as is a metal drummer who can go 20,000 BPS with his kicks, but neither of them does anything for me. There's no soul.

User Info Menu

No
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post
    No
    Even drummers who think they aren't using rudiments are using them, even it's a simple as single strokes. Those are still rudiments.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Yeh, I know that. Guess it was the tone I heard in the question.
    Guess I'm tired of rudiment shows.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

I agree it takes years of practice to get to that level but its not my thing. Its all technicality, no feel or originality.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Hot diggity dawg, he has some impressive chops. I really don't like the sound of those marching drums, though x(
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post
    No
    If you pick up sticks and hit drums, at some point you are performing rudiments whether you know it or not or like it or not. Becoming proficient with as many as you can just plain helps you to be a better drummer. Some of the coolest and easiest fills are nothing more than a rudiment taken around the kit. Just my .02 worth.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    It's certainly impressive, as is a metal drummer who can go 20,000 BPS with his kicks, but neither of them does anything for me. There's no soul.
    Well said. Very fast, very technically correct, but, not very musical.

User Info Menu

This is by far one of my favorite snare solos right now.

On the comment that this style has no feeling or soul, as a person that spends 75% of his drumming in the marching world, I can promise you that that isn't necessarily true. I agree that the music is a lot more "robotic" in a sense that more often than not, tempo's do not have those slight shifts that let the music "breath" and in general it's 15 or so people usually all playing the exact same thing at the exact same time. Buuut, I don't really know how to describe it, but just as you can find yourself getting lost in the music when playing a super funky groove on a drum set, the exact same thing happens to me all the time when playing a huge fat triplet roll clean at 180. All music styles have "feeling" to them
    Last edited by isaacvining; 09-08-2011 at 01:17 PM.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

If you pick up sticks and hit drums, at some point you are performing rudiments whether you know it or not or like it or not. Becoming proficient with as many as you can just plain helps you to be a better drummer. Some of the coolest and easiest fills are nothing more than a rudiment taken around the kit. Just my .02 worth.
    i parradiddle round the kit way too much
    but geewillikers its fun!!!

User Info Menu

He had flash as well as chops, just goes to show how amazing you can be if you keep at your studies and give practice as well as rudiments a chance. I'm glad to see anything 'pro-rudiment' come up because I believe it to be necessary to reach your full potential as a drummer. To further advocate the rudiments I like to link them in my signature. =)
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I liked the first solo. That dude was wicked. It was musical to my ears. He had ideas, and worked them out in phrases. Plus, the chops were wicked.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Diddle, Diddle, Diddle!!!

My kudos to his performance ( leaving musicality out of the equation). What I really admire is the practice he must have devoted to be able to do that. Remember the "Rule of 10,000 hours of playing" to get basic competent. This man is way over that. A note of jealousy that he has that good and a note of relief that I'm not that obsessive about being that good.

I get lots of compliments from other drummers and I thank them and ask them "How much do you gig and how much do you practice?". " I wish I had more time...etc." is the usual response. I tell them the old adage, " You will not rise to the occasion but rather shrink to the level of your training and practice.". I practice my rudiments as part of my warm-up and part of my practice routine before play-alongs, continuing education on genres/beats/techniques I want to develop, etc. That's the beauty of it, it never stops!

Much more to say that's already been said. Look them up with search. Just trying to help all m8's to develop what their missing because they haven't tried. It's your choice in the end but don't call this guy down unless you appreciate the purpose of the competition and the categories being scored.

His performance can be critisized from a number of perspectives ( musicality, dynamics, transitions, building to crisis and denouement, song qualities, etc.) but it is outstanding for what it is. "Like".

Strider

User Info Menu

Again, not trying to take anything away from the DCI cats, but if you really take a listen to what's going on rudimentally in something like this, to me, this is really where the rubber hits the road for rudimental drumming. I think that the different style of drum - big, deep, rope-tensioned snares, offer better flexibility for dynamics and expression.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpqWY6tuP1U"]Patrick McHale 2/4 Snare Solo North Eastern States Championships 2010 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by trickg; 09-08-2011 at 11:37 PM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Here's another cool one from my former unit - this video was not long after I got out in 1999 - I don't know the snare drummer on the right, but the guy on the left is Chris Hirt and the bass drummer is David Noell. It's not flawless - there is a little looseness here and there, but that's the way it goes when it's your job 365 days a year. It's hard to stay at peak performance 100% of the time, and especially not when the people you are performing with always changes and is mixed up from around 12 snare drummers and 6 or 7 bass drummers.

Drum feature starts at around the 50 second mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfefmaPbTf0"]Old Guard Drum Line, Austin, Texas 2000 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by trickg; 09-08-2011 at 11:53 PM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Here's another cool one from my former unit - this video was not long after I got out in 1999 - I don't know the snare drummer on the right, but the guy on the left is Chris Hirt and the bass drummer is David Noell. It's not flawless - there is a little looseness here and there, but that's the way it goes when it's your job 365 days a year. It's hard to stay at peak performance 100% of the time, and especially not when the people you are performing with always changes and is mixed up from around 12 snare drummers and 6 or 7 bass drummers.

Drum feature starts at around the 50 second mark.

Old Guard Drum Line, Austin, Texas 2000 - YouTube
    They had video cameras when George Washington was around!