Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

User Info Menu

Default Re: Phil Collins

When I worked with Phil, he was the most down to earth, friendly, helpful 'rock star' you could ever meet. We shared jokes, favourite albums and he would stop his car on the street just to talk to me. He was just another bloke and didn't want to be treated any other way.

Like anyone, the higher his fame got, I'm sure it had to change Phil, but so often, it struck me that it was those around him that made things change.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
    Aside from being one of drumming's greats, he is also a nice man. A few years ago I was working at a music awards show in Brussels and he was the emcee for the program. A member of our crew desperately wanted to have her picture taken with him, but she was afraid to approach him. Right before the show, during the hectic last-minute preparations, surrounded by producers, technicians and who knows who else, he noticed a very nervous looking young woman standing at the fringes of the crowd and stopped to ask her if there was something she wanted. When she replied that she would love to have her photo taken with him, he put everyone else on hold and made time for the picture. I love the man's drumming, but his sheer class is what really impresses me.
    That's what's always struck me about him. A true gent indeed.

It's like, you can take the lad out of London, but you can't take the Londoner out of the lad.

Cheers Phil!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Something VERY special for Phil Collins fans.
    I'd been looking for this footage for years and now, here it is on YouTube - enjoy!

Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    Something VERY special for Phil Collins fans.
    I'd been looking for this footage for years and now, here it is on YouTube - enjoy!
    That was great! Thanks Cuban! A big fan of Phil and Chester.

User Info Menu

When I worked with Phil, he was the most down to earth, friendly, helpful 'rock star' you could ever meet. We shared jokes, favourite albums and he would stop his car on the street just to talk to me. He was just another bloke and didn't want to be treated any other way.

Like anyone, the higher his fame got, I'm sure it had to change Phil, but so often, it struck me that it was those around him that made things change.
    Time and time again I have heard that Phil Collins is the nicest bloke in the industry. there has to be at least a grain of truth there. I think he is a top bloke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    You and I have got the exact same Paiste book then!

User Info Menu

You lot are gonna love this.....yesterday at rehearsal, after we had run through some of the songs that we'll be looking at recording in the coming months (I'm doing percussion in this group, not drumkit) , we did a fair bit of jamming, and our new guitarist, Anthony, who also plays in a covers band, started busting out all these great funky riffs from various songs his other band covers, such as "Rock With You" by Michael Jackson, "Ain't Nobody" by Chaka Khan and so on. Well, what other tune did he pull out?

This:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    You and I have got the exact same Paiste book then!
    Yes, thank you Drumbledore. I believe it's vol.3?
    I think there is very cool info in these so posted several.

User Info Menu

Phil has always been one of my alltime favorite human beings..
    Drummer,percussionist.vocalist,
    entertainer,humorist & total musicians,,,
    he is one of true heros...
    He once said the reason he took up piano was
    i cant teach a guitar player my song
    in da key of "boom chicka boom" !!!!

I was honored by lib devitto (longtime billy joel drummer)
    when i was mentioned in da same breath about musicians like
    keltner,henley,helm,charlie watts,ringo, & me.....
    Wow talk about humbled & honored,,,
    thxs lib,,,,, lubs ya brother
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

stickks Guest

I'd never heard that - where did you hear that?
    I knew he played on 'Woman in Chains' from 'The Seeds of Love', but would be interested to know more about 'Songs...' if the info is correct?
    He did play on women in chains, but did not play on the seeds of love. Chris Hughes played on that song. As for the other songs, it was a between Manu Katche, and Simon Phillips

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stickks View Post
    He did play on women in chains, but did not play on the seeds of love. Chris Hughes played on that song. As for the other songs, it was a between Manu Katche, and Simon Phillips
    I think you misread my post.

User Info Menu

Teaching this song to one of my girl students. The fills are like lessons unto themselves, I'd swear!

User Info Menu

Collins is also a very well respected expert and historian on the battle of the Alamo. I believe he has even published a book about it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Teaching this song to one of my girl students. The fills are like lessons unto themselves, I'd swear!

Are you saying that this is a girl drummer issue?!

..........Bahahahahahahaha!
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Phil has no equal, totally unique in so many ways.

Some of you will already know of my time spent working with Phil and his influence on me personally, will always be with me.

Owning his kit that was on the main tour I was on, is for me, like having the Holly Grail.
    I saw you guys in Philadelphia, Sept 1990. Great show
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Another underrated drummer for me

User Info Menu

Interesting story that inspired album name...."No Jacket Required"

The album is named after an incident at The Pump Room restaurant in Chicago, Illinois.
    Phil (entering the restaurant with Led Zeppelin's former lead vocalist, Robert Plant),
    was denied admittance because he didn't meet the restaurant's dress code of "jacket required" for dinner,
    while Robert was allowed in. Phil was wearing a jacket, and argued about it.
    The Maître d' argued that the jacket was not "proper".
    Phil, in an interview with Playboy, said that he was, at that point, never so mad in his life.
    After the incident, the singer often appeared on shows such as Late Night with David Letterman
    and The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson, denouncing the restaurant and telling his story.
    The management of the restaurant later sent him a complimentary sport coat and an apology letter,
    stating that he could come to the restaurant wearing whatever he wanted.

In 1985, this album went 12x Platinum in the USA
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-02-2019 at 06:40 PM.

User Info Menu

My idol, absolutely drummer god. He is very different than all the rest. Just the best!!! As
    Picasso so many styles and every time greatttttttt!

User Info Menu

I first heard Phil through the Genesis albums and then his work with Brand X.
    I loved his playing with Brand X, especially "Product". One of my most favorite of his Genesis years would be "And Then There Were Three", to this day a great favorite of mine.

User Info Menu

I was with my son at the Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena for a cub scout event this past Saturday. One of the things we did was take a tour of the facility. At one point of the tour, there was a very long hallway that led to the main control room for the lighting, scoreboard, etc.
    Along this hallway, there were dry erase boards mounted on both sides of the walls encased in glass. These dry erase boards are loaded with autographs. One of the autographs that I shot with my camera was Phil Collins. I thought that this would be a good place to share it.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    I was with my son at the Cleveland Quicken Loans Arena for a cub scout event this past Saturday. One of the things we did was take a tour of the facility. At one point of the tour, there was a very long hallway that led to the main control room for the lighting, scoreboard, etc.
    Along this hallway, there were dry erase boards mounted on both sides of the walls encased in glass. These dry erase boards are loaded with autographs. One of the autographs that I shot with my camera was Phil Collins. I thought that this would be a good place to share it.

Very cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

"get em out by Friday!"

was the first early genesis song that I was turned on to. I was blown away by the drumming. I asked my friend who the drummer was and he said phil Collins. I said the singer?
    this was in 1982 or so. I became an instant fan.
    the lamb lies down on broadway, is my favorite album of all time. Collins drumming is brilliant.

User Info Menu

it's great to hear stories about the humble rock stars. I got to know and chat with Mike Portnoy years ago and he was also a very humble guy every time I saw him.

Phil Collins is awesome so it's even better to hear these stories.

User Info Menu

"Squonk" is based on the mythical creature from the United States. The legend holds that the creature's skin is ill-fitting, being covered with warts and other blemishes and that, because it is ashamed of its appearance, it hides from plain sight and spends much of its time weeping. Hunters who have attempted to catch squonks have found that the creature is capable of evading capture by dissolving completely into a pool of tears and bubbles when cornered.

The song combines a main theme written by Mike Rutherford against a middle section written by Tony Banks, and was designed to sound like Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir".
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-29-2018 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Just a pool of bubbling tears...I was listening to the Seconds Out version yesterday, but why am typing this? Why?