Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

User Info Menu

Default Phil Collins

Phil Collins

Drummer: Phil Collins
    Main Style: Progressive Rock
    Main Band: Genesis
    Brief Summary: Philip David Charles "Phil" Collins, (born January 30th 1951) is a British singer-songwriter, drummer, pianist and actor best known as a drummer and vocalist for British progressive rock group Genesis and as a solo artist.
    Collins sang the lead vocals on several chart hits in the United Kingdom and the United States between 1978 and 1994, either as a solo artist or with Genesis. His singles, often dealing with lost love, ranged from the drum-heavy "In the Air Tonight", dance pop of "Sussudio", piano-driven "Against All Odds", to the political statements of "Another Day in Paradise".
    Collins's professional music career began as a drummer, first with Flaming Youth and then famously with Genesis. In Genesis, Collins originally supplied backing vocals for front man Peter Gabriel, singing lead on only two songs: "For Absent Friends" from 1971's Nursery Cryme album and "More Fool Me" from Selling England by the Pound, which was released in 1973. Following Gabriel's departure in 1975, Collins became the group's lead singer.
    Other Facts:His solo career, heavily influenced by his personal life, brought both him and Genesis commercial success. According to Atlantic Records, Collins's total worldwide sales as a solo artist, as of 2000, were 150 million. He has won seven Grammy Awards, an Academy Award, and two Golden Globes for his solo work. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of Genesis in 2010.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Phil Collins

I've always loved that he recorded so many songs with the drums up in the mix along with big, powerful drum fills. He also experimented with a lot of effects for the drums.

More Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 09-29-2018 at 08:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I am very glad to see this thread honoring Phil Collin's contributions to drumming, since he was such a talented musician. So many of those drummer jokes just don't apply to Phil Collins.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Also glad to see Phil here too. He's a great songwriter and "In the Air Tonight" was an anthem I often sang when my relationships went "south" lol....

User Info Menu

featuring Phil Collins
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-29-2018 at 08:08 PM.

User Info Menu

I'll just leave this here:
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

One of my influences when he was one of the founders and drummer(which surprised me) of the prog. rock band "Brand X" in the 70's. Loved that stuff of his! Can't find any youtube of that era of that band. But I have both albums.
    Last edited by slinglander; 09-07-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: add txt

User Info Menu

i was sold on the first tom roll

a live version of the classic

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcvNpwS8hu8&feature=related"]Phil Collins, "In the air tonight" (First Farewell Tour) - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

Of course, he and Genesis could make odds and evens sound so smooth and funky....but if you had to try counting them......lol......good luck.

Probably one of the very few songs with a 13 note count chorus (6/4 and 7/4) that snuck onto the airwaves and the radio stations didn't even bat an eyelid....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B1ub5g5L0k"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Phil was a HUGE influence on my playing. Though I STILL am not sure of the exact sticking on "Cinema Show." Anyone?
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Some more of Phil's work to get your teeth into....get this album if you can!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhuw62OruO0&feature=player_detailpage"]Smacks of Euphoric Hysteria - Brand X - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

Despite being a huge metal fan, I was always inspired by Phil Collins. Such a great musician all around. One of my favorite songs was "I Missed Again."

User Info Menu

Phil has no equal, totally unique in so many ways.

Some of you will already know of my time spent working with Phil and his influence on me personally, will always be with me.

Owning his kit that was on the main tour I was on, is for me, like having the Holly Grail.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

If you ask me to name a drummer the 1st name that pops into my head is "Phil Collins"! Growing up in the '80's you could not go a day without hearing him thrashing out a beat on some Genesis or solo song on the radio, mall, movie, elevator (okay that's pushing it ) etc.

Phil Colins ROCKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i was sold on the first tom roll

a live version of the classic

Phil Collins, "In the air tonight" (First Farewell Tour) - YouTube
    OH MY HAT - GOOSBUMPS @ 5.22!
    Last edited by Howzit; 01-10-2012 at 03:37 PM.

User Info Menu

He also played a lot of the live drums on "Songs from the big chair" by Tears for Fears. How cool is that?!
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in name only View Post
    He also played a lot of the live drums on "Songs from the big chair" by Tears for Fears. How cool is that?!
    I'd never heard that - where did you hear that?
    I knew he played on 'Woman in Chains' from 'The Seeds of Love', but would be interested to know more about 'Songs...' if the info is correct?
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Love Phil's stuff....play his Sabian signature ride. Excellent.

User Info Menu

Phil Collins passed a HUGE TEST when Genesis lost Peter Gabriel; the drummer was suddenly the lead vocalist as well.
    The first album in this line-up, IMHO, was one of their best : TRICK OF THE TAIL...................from Wiki below :

After Peter Gabriel left Genesis, the remaining members held auditions for a permanent lead singer, although some members (most notably Banks) considered continuing as an instrumental act, while most songs were written without knowledge as to how they would be sung.[6] Initially, Phil Collins did not wish to take over from Gabriel, instead teaching the potential lead singers the songs. One of the 400 auditioners, Mick Stickland, came close, but the band and Mick decided against working together in the end. According to the band members, the backing tracks for A Trick of the Tail had already been recorded and were in a key in which Mick was not comfortable singing. When the auditions failed to produce a suitable vocalist, Collins reluctantly went in the studio to sing "Squonk" and the band decided that Collins should be the new vocalist.

In addition to all that, HE PLAYS GRETSCH !!!

User Info Menu

Had a look at the credits of that album. Manny Elias was the drummer who did the majority of the drum tracks on it. Plus Chris Hughes, an engineer, producer and drummer, was the guy responsible for the loping drumtrack and percussion on "Everybody Wants To Rule The World". (Modern Drummer did an interview with him a while after the release of "Songs From The Big Chair".....he also produced TFF's debut album "The Hurting"). And if you're talking about the song "The Working Hour", that also has Jerry Marotta on percussion plus Mel Collins on saxophone (ex-King Crimson and established British session player, and no, not related to Phil in any way).....but no Phil Collins to be seen.

The only thing Phil Collins might have in common with all these guys - Elias, Marotta & Hughes - is that they have all at different times worked with Peter Gabriel. That's as far as I know.

User Info Menu

I just found this:

...it does consist of three discs so I'm not sure on which he drummed?
    Last edited by Howzit; 01-12-2012 at 11:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    I just found this:

...it does consist of three discs so I'm not sure on which he drummed?
    That would be because, as Cuban mentioned, Phil Collins played on the song "Woman In Chains" from the album "The Seeds Of Love" (Cuban worked with Phil, so I'm sure he would have an idea what albums his boss has worked on as a session player or band member with various artists). Manu Katché, Simon Phillips and Chris Hughes also appeared as drummers on that album, and I'm pretty surprised that Simon's name had been omitted (printing error?) from that compilation's list!

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7tASAkop8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7tASAkop8[/ame]

User Info Menu

Aside from being one of drumming's greats, he is also a nice man. A few years ago I was working at a music awards show in Brussels and he was the emcee for the program. A member of our crew desperately wanted to have her picture taken with him, but she was afraid to approach him. Right before the show, during the hectic last-minute preparations, surrounded by producers, technicians and who knows who else, he noticed a very nervous looking young woman standing at the fringes of the crowd and stopped to ask her if there was something she wanted. When she replied that she would love to have her photo taken with him, he put everyone else on hold and made time for the picture. I love the man's drumming, but his sheer class is what really impresses me.
    You can always tell a drummer...but you can't tell 'em much.

Stuff:

1975 Rogers Londoner V in Spanish Gold
    Sonor Force 3000 in need of refinishing
    5" and 6.5" Rogers Dynasonic COB snares
    Sabian, Amedia and Istanbul Mehmet cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Woodney View Post
    Aside from being one of drumming's greats, he is also a nice man. A few years ago I was working at a music awards show in Brussels and he was the emcee for the program. A member of our crew desperately wanted to have her picture taken with him, but she was afraid to approach him. Right before the show, during the hectic last-minute preparations, surrounded by producers, technicians and who knows who else, he noticed a very nervous looking young woman standing at the fringes of the crowd and stopped to ask her if there was something she wanted. When she replied that she would love to have her photo taken with him, he put everyone else on hold and made time for the picture. I love the man's drumming, but his sheer class is what really impresses me.
    ..that's cool, too often you hear about famous people being arrogant, mean, etc.

refreshing to hear