Thread: Drum covers!

User Info Menu

Question Drum covers!

I would like to widen my variety on music and learn to play a little bit of everything! I'm going to be getting some mics and whatnot soon and start posting on Youtube hopefully a few times a week if I can manage! What are some songs you guys would like to hear?! I'm up for trying anything! Challenge me!!
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum covers!

I don't know what your into, or how long you have been playing, but anything Rush. Neil Peart is pretty hard to get down. Some Porcupine Tree with Gavin Harrison as the drummer is pretty challenging. Most anything that Bill Ward has done for Black Sabbath. Good luck. We will be waiting to get blown away!
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

How about .....

Gimme Water by the Masters of Reality

User Info Menu

How far we've come- Matchbox 20, it's a good in between; not too hard, not too easy.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Some Tool covers would be awesome. Maybe Forty-Six & 2, Ticks & Leeches, Vicarious....all their songs have great drum parts.
    Matt

User Info Menu

How about 'Devil May Care' as played by Jeff Hamilton on Diana Krall's 'Live in Paris' album? Brush/stick changeovers!

User Info Menu

What kind of genre does your band play? Doing covers is good, but you may or may not opt to keep them within the style of music your band plays. If genre doesn't matter though, how about Erotomania by Dream Theater?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ok, well if you're calling for all genres, I'll throw one out there that I love to listen to...Bob Marley "Stir it up"
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

I'll give everything a listen! :D I'm really down to do the Matchbox 20 cover, I'm in love with that song haha
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

Porcupine Tree - Circle of Manias. Fairly simple pattern, but it's awesome because it's in 9/8 lol

Or, Mastodon - Oblivion. Fairly busy song, with multiple time signatures.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDrumsSSD View Post
    I'll give everything a listen! :D I'm really down to do the Matchbox 20 cover, I'm in love with that song haha
    You should totally do it, I would love to see a drum cover on that!

I don't know if you like Maroon 5, but some of their stuff would be worth a look too!

And if you really want to do "a bit of everything", I would do some jazz covers with that new Soultone of yours!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Smooth Rider-Dave Matthews Band (Carter on drums), this song is awesome.
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

Those are some lovely suggestions, guys!

Try some Machine Head - "Halo" is awesome. Listen to their other offerings, VERY decent drumming

I'm going to challenge myself by playing with to "Journey to Mariabronne" by Kansas - maybe you'd like to try that one on for size? Any of their ±8 minute long epics would be great!!
    Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

I am just curious. I saw the "Stir It Up" Request. I play with a Reggae band some and the drummer played with the wailers. I am lucky to be playing with the real deal Jamaican guys down here. In fact will be playing at the Palm Beach Fairgrounds this Fri.through Sun. at the Reggae fest. if anyone is from down here come out. But my question is, do any of you guys have a clue how to play Reggae beats? I know there are a lot of younger folks here and I am not being demeaning at all. I just think most are into heavy metal, hard rock and stuff and never been exposed to many styles of music. Especially world music. Ohhh and the Latin musicians just blow most of us away. Light years ahead of the rockers. Try playing some fast Salsa beats. I hope I am not coming off to opinionated. I have just been exposed to a lot of different music in my 45 years of playing and feel it would benefit the younger drummers here to check out more styles of music than the same old same old recycled stuff I have heard forever.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

A day to remember - The Downfall of us All. That'd be cool!!

User Info Menu

how about some Ska? Madness or the Beat - any songs
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Opeth - The lotus eater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VIbes View Post
    I am just curious. I saw the "Stir It Up" Request. I play with a Reggae band some and the drummer played with the wailers. I am lucky to be playing with the real deal Jamaican guys down here. In fact will be playing at the Palm Beach Fairgrounds this Fri.through Sun. at the Reggae fest. if anyone is from down here come out. But my question is, do any of you guys have a clue how to play Reggae beats? I know there are a lot of younger folks here and I am not being demeaning at all. I just think most are into heavy metal, hard rock and stuff and never been exposed to many styles of music. Especially world music. Ohhh and the Latin musicians just blow most of us away. Light years ahead of the rockers. Try playing some fast Salsa beats. I hope I am not coming off to opinionated. I have just been exposed to a lot of different music in my 45 years of playing and feel it would benefit the younger drummers here to check out more styles of music than the same old same old recycled stuff I have heard forever.
    I suggested "Stir it up" and have no idea how to play it. I've only been playing about 9 months now and still work on basic fundamentals. That being said, I have a lot of admiration for reggae and latin beats and whenever I get to starting my lessons again (HOPEFULLY SOON) I'm going to try to have my instructor focus on those genre's as well as some vintage jazz. He's played some good latin and reggae beats for me before and it sounds amazing but if I try to copy it...yeah, not so good. All in due time - but I absolutely agree with you that much of these genre's are more difficult than the "modern rock" that most people are accustomed to and it would definitely benefit every drummer to expand their abilities to include at least basic - moderate beats in all genre's.

That being said - we can discuss this in another thread more if you'd like to create one - I wouldn't want to hijack this thread anymore than we've already done. My apologies to Chris.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash