Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bearing edge question

User Info Menu

Default bearing edge question

here's the kit in question

It is a pearl masters I am guessing somewhere around 15 years old. I have had the kit around a year and it seems to have been taken care of. but I have alwats had a tuning issue with the toms especially the 8 and 12. I have heard the masters can be difficult to tune, I changed the iss mounts to the optimounts and they really didnt help much.
    the rims are a heavy stainless so I wonder if the iss mounts could have warped them. they seem to lay flat. so for peace of mind I have been thinking about getting the bearing edges re cut. I talked to a well known company and they quoted a price of 150 for all 5 toms plus shipping.I think the toms have a single 45 cut on them and they said that they reccomend a twin 45 cut on them as they are maple. so my long winded question is how would twin 45's effect the drums sound ? also I have checked them and they are not out of round. I dont mind the cost as I really like them and want to keep them. what do you guys think ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: bearing edge question

there's a world wide epidemic when it comes to tuning 12" and 8" toms something about there size

personally think the very last thing you should do is change baring edges

i do have a few questions for you ...do they go out of tune? or never get there?

have a look at the tension rods and the lugs make sure there not slipping

User Info Menu

I have trouble with my 12" Starclassic birch tom. Can't ever seem to find a good singing sound.

User Info Menu

hey itchie
    really cant get decent sound out of them. they really dont tune up.

why would you make bearing edges the last thing because they could screw them up ? also I have had the drums completly apart and the lugs seem fine

User Info Menu

hmmm....I find smaller toms easier to tune.
    1. Did you try tuning without the iss mount, by just having the drum sit freely, say in a snare stand, while you tune? Then you could isolate whether its the mounts.
    2. Did you measure if the drums are out of round, by measuring their diameter at different places across the drums? Out of round drums make for difficult tuning.
    3. Did you lay the drums flat on a surface , place a flashlight into them . Turn out room lights and check for light leakage against the surface on table ...this reveals if they do not sit flat, a bearing edge problem or warp.

Just some thoughts. Get bearings re-cut sounds more drastic and if they are in good shape visibly I do not see the point.

User Info Menu

how old are the heads?

some say you should change the resonate heads every year ...i think im over due

User Info Menu

There was a technical sticky posted on another forum I belong to that was released by Gene Okamoto, Pearl USA's technical guru that centered around the Optimount tuning lug washers and their correct orientation. Please recheck your rubber washers and compare them to the pics below. Keep us updated on the answers to the questions that other members put forth so we can further help your tuning issues. Welcome to DrumChat and I hope we can help.

User Info Menu

i find it hard to believe that a Pearl Masters kit would need its bearing edges recut. its a Ferrari!!!
    tune, retune and tune again untill you get it right.
    late8 has a great tip, likely the cause.
    as for tuning small toms i dont get the problem. ive never heard anyone complain til now about tuning a 12. what drives me nuts is getting the 13 inline with the 12 and 16 floor. unlucky 13.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 09-10-2011 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    how old are the heads?

some say you should change the resonate heads every year ...i think im over due
    +1 on the heads being the problem.

You didn't mention how old the heads were. If they are a year or more old I would seriously consider a complete head change. If everything you checked out was good and the heads are old then that's the last thing you should try.

No way I would consider having the bearing edges redone on a kit as prestigious as that.

And you would be suprised how much work some 12's take to get to sound good with the rest of the mix.

Thanks Late8 that was an awesome tip even I can use!

User Info Menu

"And you would be suprised how much work some 12's take to get to sound good with the rest of the mix."
    i consider myself lucky, my fusion kit: 10,12 up 14 down sounds awesome
    my conventional kit: 12, 13 up 16 down, the 13 is the turd in the punchbowl.

User Info Menu

thanks late8 for taking the time to post the pics up. I never would have thought of that. ok to answer the questions right now the batter sides have coated g2's which are not very old and gretsch resos that came with my sons maple kit.
    I have put g1 resos on them with the same result I swapped resos to help out my son. the gretsch are like brand new. I cant afford new heads right now. here are some pics of the 8 inch with the optimount. they are all done the same way.

let me know what you think

User Info Menu

heres a couple pics of the 8 inch tom with the opti's

let me know if you think they are right. and as far as heads batters are g2's they are not very old and brand new gretsch resos of my sons kit he has the g1 resos

User Info Menu

I have a Yamaha Maple kit that is on par with yours and also have trouble getting the 12" to sing out. Every time I get to the middle of it's range, the sound starts to choke off, so I kee it at lower end of it's range, while the 10 works best high and the 14 right in the middle (no 8, sorry).

User Info Menu

I wanted to update this thread
    I sent out my 8 , 10, 12,14,16 inch toms to precision drum and are having the bearing edges recut. they have a single 45 cut they are going to do a twin 45 degree cut. I will probably have them back inside a week or so and I will let you guys know how they turn out.
    and thank you guys for the help.

User Info Menu

Not only how old the heads are as Itchie said, I might suggest a different type of head that's on there allready, although finding the perfect heads might cost you, example of what i mean is one ply, two ply, hydraulic....with sound deadening like the remo pinstripes or evans ec 2SST's. I know alot of guys on here like the evan G2's with a G1 reso head. We don't know what sound you're looking for but an 8" usually has a poppy type sound.

User Info Menu

To the cutter they've gone! One with big nasty pointy teeth!

ThePloughman Guest

Wont that violate your Pearl Lifetime warranty, ....... not that this is an important point, but .... if you have bad edges, this should be a warranty issue. Even so... its gonna hurt if you ever NEED the warranty.

User Info Menu

Your pictures are a little fuzzy to make out. But is the flange of your heads sitting on top of your rubber washers? Because your rubber washer's should be sitting right into the depression on your hoops where the lugs are. There is way to much lug bolt showing between the top of your washers and the designed hump on your hoops. Your washers should fit right inside the hump of your hoop where your lugs are. This happened to me as well, especially with the smaller toms. I had to cut the washers so they would clear the head flange, and allow the head to seat all the way down, and allow the washers to be sandwiched between the hoop and the iso bracket top and bottom, just like Lat8's pictures. That would definitely not allow your tom to tune up. Right now it looks like your heads are sitting on your washers to me. Let me know if I'm right or wrong
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Wolvie's eagles eyes have brought up an awfully good point- it really does look like that grommet is jammed between the head flange and the mount......uh oh!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    To the cutter they've gone! One with big nasty pointy teeth!
    lol but I aint skeert
    there is no warranty issue as I am the 3rd owner
    you guys are right about the grommets I was working on that by turning them over but I still could not get them tuned with the mount off.
    just had enough so thats why I sent them out

User Info Menu

Oops. I think that was a mistake, bud. I hope they don't rip you off by saying they re-cut your edges, but not actually doing it cause it doesn't need it. Oh well, good luck.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

another update for you guys
    got a call from precision today drums are done and should be here tom.
    gonna have twin 45 cuts. he said the shells are nice it was just the way they are cut at the factory the bearing edge is to close to the edge of the head so by doing the double cut it moves the bearing edge in closer to the center of the head. hope that makes sense it is hard to explain. and also he is replacing the grommets as they are all loose. this should fix the tuning issues I have been having. just wish I could afford new heads for them right now.
    I will post some pics when I get them

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2gsmackfans View Post
    another update for you guys
    got a call from precision today drums are done and should be here tom.
    gonna have twin 45 cuts. he said the shells are nice it was just the way they are cut at the factory the bearing edge is to close to the edge of the head so by doing the double cut it moves the bearing edge in closer to the center of the head. hope that makes sense it is hard to explain. and also he is replacing the grommets as they are all loose. this should fix the tuning issues I have been having. just wish I could afford new heads for them right now.
    I will post some pics when I get them
    Not to be disrespectful at all, but I think the money you wasted on getting the edges re-cut should have gone to a new set of pins, and maybe a drumdial. This kit is an upper middle class drum kit with awesome quality in manufacturing. They should tune up easily. I doubt the problem was ever your bearing edges. Just saying. Good luck.
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    19" Paragon China
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    there's a world wide epidemic when it comes to tuning 12" and 8" toms something about their size.
    I've always had a tough time with any 12" tom I've ever had, and I've heard similar things from other people - there is just something odd about the 12" size that makes it difficult to tune.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I apologize that this is too late to be of use, but looking at the pictures late8 posted compared to the ones you provided...

If you refer to the last picture late8 shows, the reso side of the red tom, I'm not seeing any of the tension rod between the lug and hoop.

Switching to the ones you show, I see a space between the lug and rubber grommet, exposing the tension rod.

Did you try shortening the span on the mount? I would imagine it should sit snugly against the lugs on both the top and bottom, but especially the bottom. I don't use Optimounts so I'm uncertain. I would assume that if the mount's span is too wide, it would prevent the heads from seating correctly and would also not allow the hoops to remain level.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian