Thread: Not a beginner anymore!

User Info Menu

Talking Not a beginner anymore!

Alright, I am going to get a new drum set. I have being playing for over 6 years, but have always had the same set. It is a cheap Peace drums beginner set. I have replaced pretty much everything but the wood and the high-hat stand. It has been fun to use for practice and playing with friends. I need a new set now because I'm going to start playing real shows. I got good cymbals, heads, decent stands and a little less than $800.

At my local store I found these two sets:
    Ludwig Accent CS Elite 5 Piece Set (Tobacco Fade)
    and
    Pearl VSX Vision Series 5 Piece Standard Shell Set

I think I might get the Ludwig. Can you guys give me some feedback on these, and maybe some suggestions on other good sets for around $800.

Please help out a poor college kid with dreams.

User Info Menu

Since you already have good cymbals and decent stands, I would also recommend looking at the Gretsch Catalina series. It comes in both maple and birch shells. It also comes as a 6 piece set (10", 12", 14" floor, and 16" floor toms, 14"X6" snare, and 22"X18" bass). It's a shell pack, which is why I noted your cymbals and hardware. It also comes in a Tobacco Fade is you're sold on that finish. Got mine, recently, from Musician's Friend for $699.00. I'm sure Sam Ash would have a similar deal.

Just thought I would make your decision harder!

BTW, congrats on not being a beginner anymore. I hope I don't have to wait 5 1/2 more years to declare I'm not a beginner anymore! I'm sure you are a good drummer, after 6 years, and it's good to have you with us!
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 06-15-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkbeat

At my local store I found these two sets:
    Ludwig Accent CS Elite 5 Piece Set (Tobacco Fade)
    and
    Pearl VSX Vision Series 5 Piece Standard Shell Set

Im pretty sure the ludwig accent is concidered their begginer lowest line, as PB said, look into the gretsch catalina, not even the maple, the ash kit is 600 bucks and comes with a free tom, more bang for your buck

User Info Menu

Before you jump headfirst into a set... let me throw a little something into the mix.

How about a Sonor Force kit?? Booming sound, not a lot of them around and let me tell you, the compliments you get when you play out with a Sonor set is amazing!! The crack of the snare, the power of the bass - man, these drums are just totally awesome. I played out with a Force 3001 in Carib Green - the stage lights made it look incredible. Just something else to consider.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

dude..look into the mapex ProM..and MBirch kits..very nice..but u can never go wrong with a ludwig.

User Info Menu

I checked out your guy's suggestions so far, and I think I'm starting to like the Gretsch Catalina. But still want to go to the stores tomorrow to check them out. I still will appreciate more suggestions.

User Info Menu

I am having trouble trying to find a site that has good reviews of these drums you guys are mentioning. Does anyone know of one?

User Info Menu

When I was checking out kits to make my decision, I narrowed it down to the Sonor Force 3005 and the Gretsch Catalina, both in maple. Stix certainly makes a good point that the Sonor kits can be a good value. The question that I have asked others that were searching for a new kit was what kind of sound do you want. In the price range that you are talking about, you have to decide which wood gives you the sound that you want. The birch shells tend to give a brighter, higher pitched sound, while the maple tends to give a warmer, better mid and lower pitched sound. Of course tuning comes into play when talking about pitch and tone, but this would give you a basic guide to different woods, although there are any number of internet sites that can explain the differences better than I can.

If you want a specific review of the Gretsch Catalina maple kit.

I know this can be confusing to go through all this, but it will be worth it because you will know that you made a well considered choice that will be right for you. Hang in there!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

you can find great deals on pearl sessions and sonor force 3005 right now as they were discontinued this year. sessions could be found for 800 bucks. force 3005 for about 600.wish i could give you advise on the visions but i havnt heard one yet. i know they have some pretty impressive features but come with pretty cheep hoops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    you can find great deals on pearl sessions and sonor force 3005 right now as they were discontinued this year. sessions could be found for 800 bucks. force 3005 for about 600.wish i could give you advise on the visions but i havnt heard one yet. i know they have some pretty impressive features but come with pretty cheep hoops.
    The only problem that I found in trying to order the Sonor Force 3005 was that the available finishes were very limited. I was looking for a natural woodgrain finish, and Sonor had a beautiful natural finish, but Musician's Friend discontinued that finish before I could order it. I think either the Gretsch Catalina has been a well kept secret, or there were simply more of these sets produced. In either case, with the Gretsch Catalina, I got exactly what I wanted at a good price (extra 16X16 tom for free), and it sounds exactly like what I wanted to hear. For me, it just didn't get any better than that.

Having said all that, everyone has to find the set that appeals to your own ears, and to you own eyes. Finding it at a bargain is what really makes us smile!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    I sat at a Vision kit, I didn't play it, but i poked around and looked at the hardware/hoops/lugs etc. and it all seemed pretty good to me. It might be a case of try before you buy, because as with most things in the drumming world, looks can be deceiving.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Cool Not a beginner anymore!

That's one of the drawbacks of buying something you can't try before you buy. Almost anything looks better on a website than it does in real life. It's best if you can look at (or play) the drums or cymbals you want before you plunk down your cash...or lay down the plastic...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

The visions are like the reference. Only a steel snare and the wood has been layered in the birch favor rather than mapel im sure..... :s

I tryed to find a difference its all i can come up with. I think i made a thread about it.

I forgets any one ever get a pic of the shadow mist colour thing for the reference???

I still aint seen it.
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 06-18-2007 at 09:53 AM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I was sure that the vision series was between the Export and the Masters somewhere. It is basswood and Birch. But i dont think it is in any-way comparable to the almighty reference. I think the lugs are look-alikes, but that is about as far as the similarities go.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

ah ok, that does make more sence. Because people would want a reference but without the price tag . so that sounds plyable.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    The visions are like the reference. Only a steel snare and the wood has been layered in the birch favor rather than mapel im sure..... :s

I tryed to find a difference its all i can come up with. I think i made a thread about it.

I forgets any one ever get a pic of the shadow mist colour thing for the reference???

I still aint seen it.
    drugs are bad mkay.
    the reference has almost nothing in common with the vision other than that they are both made by pearl. different woods, lugs, hoops, edges, finish app...ect. and i have never heard of shadow mist. def. not available in the ref series.
    here is a photoshopped pic of black mist over waterfall bubbinga, what i would get if i ever buy a pearl masterworks kit.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 06-19-2007 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Twilight fade thats the one im thinking of! Anyone got any big pics of kits with it? I cant find any :(
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

twilight fade...

User Info Menu

Aw its not that great a colour... Hm I like this one.

I actually may go master works and order the reference kit in this colour.

If not mabe the purple crasze or scarlet fade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

the two you show there are from the custom masterworks line and are not available in reference. if i get a ref. it will be purple craze or granite sparkle.
    my first choice would be purple craze, but my good friend here in town just got a HUGE kit in that color and is playing it all over town. i dont wanna be a copycat. wich is why i will prolly go with the custom masterworks in the black mist/bubbinga combo i showed above.

User Info Menu

i know there from a masters :P But a masters is anything you want. So ill get a reference in that colour.

Hm i dont really like that colour. Maybe coz i like extreme contrasts. :P It looks like a faded black (and scrached) drum kit sorry :( But it wouldnt play like one! :p
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

HMMM DW........... I like these colours. How much are their kits?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters