Thread: Double bass question

User Info Menu

Question Double bass question

Hey everyone..

I've been working on my double bass rhythms and I'm pretty solid @140-160 Bpm range doing alternating singles. The problem for me is doing the short pulses with both pedals.. for say a throw down where the bass drum notes chug with the guitar type thing...(I hope i explained that decently)

So my question is, is there any great exercises or techniques any of you have for developing these "pulses" or "bursts" of notes with the double kick? (heal up, heal down?)

thanks
    Kirk

oh yea my pedal is a Pearl eliminator (belt drive).. I just got it, I cant say enough about it..

User Info Menu

Not 100% sure, but I would think the heel-toe method would be well suited for what you are talking about. Maybe someone else on here can give you more advise though - I personally don't play too much of that sort of stuff.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

ok thanks for your input, i'll try it

User Info Menu

either that or do what i do with my single pedal.
    I just do more of a hop from my heel all the way to the top of my foot.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

i have found that if i play what your talking about left foot start, the right becomes alot more comfortable. for those short bursts, i just play heel up. are you using any books for the alternating singles such as the "mirrored groove"

User Info Menu

go with what feels natural
    -Ringo
    Ostinato is the way to go!