Thread: Single pedal question

User Info Menu

Default Single pedal question

When I hear for example good times bad times by led zepplin and the trooper by Iron maiden (all single pedal users) they all have crazy single pedal beats to them. how do they do it, heal-toe?

User Info Menu

I can explain Maiden

Nicko is known for his amazingly quick and complicated right foot, he gives an exercize on how to improve speed to, you make a triplet, bass, tom, tom, and create a triplet, then get going faster

I dont know about bonham though

User Info Menu

in good times bad times bonham does a 16th note on the bass..its wicked fast..but then again thats why hes bonham..

User Info Menu

thought he might have used heal toe, but i guess not..

User Info Menu

Not all fast drummers use heel-toe. George Kollias uses swivel foot and ive heard somehwere that the drummer from Trivium just plays regular hell down.

User Info Menu

i use a hopping motion with my foot
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

I use heel toe and swivel foot.
    I think it's all about building up confidence really...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Ringo, that hopping motion you talk about, I am picturing that as heel toe coz thats sounds like heel toe motion.

I think its all about building stamina and strength. Any technique will work once you have stamina and strenght.

User Info Menu

The one thing you should not do when you sit down at your drumkit is think "I can't do this."
    If you do that, then you can't. If you sit down and think "I can do this", then even if you can't it'll just get your hopes up and you'll feel better working to it from there.
    Having said that you can also mess about with your pedal and everything. You could loosen it up so it's easier to play, or move your stool about so you fit better on the pedal.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=wwN1f3nnE...elated&search= This guy is showing double bass but at the end he shows you some kind of method that you can use to go very fast.

User Info Menu

cool, so your sweet spot will move further down the pedal as you progress in drumming? i didnt know that.

User Info Menu

Well not as you progress, I think what he's saying is that as he builds up speed, his sweet spot (which I assume means the place where he can hit it most comfortably for the best sound) keeps on travelling down.
    I think in essence the sweetspot hardly ever stays in the same place unless you're going for a slow and powerful beat.

User Info Menu

I dont think iv found my sweet spot... I remember being able to do fast doubles before, but I cant do them anymore.. its really quite frusterating