Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you own a drum that is older than you?

User Info Menu

Default Do you own a drum that is older than you?

No for me, but I have two nearly there. I was born in 1974 and I have a '77 Acrolite and '78ish Vistalite floor tom. Come to think of it, I have a few things I received as gifts when I was an infant, but I don't think I own anything at all older than me, let alone an instrument. My dad's old "hippy rock" vinyl collection might be the only thing close.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you own a drum that is older than you?

Yes, I do. Its actually older than my dad. Its a 1968 Ludwig Acrolite. I love that drum.

ThePloughman Guest

I have two 1963 Rogers Powertone 5x14 snare drums. A set that is from 1964, one from 1966.

All of my drums are newer than I am.

User Info Menu

Oh I forgot - I own a bowling ball older than myself. My dad had a perfect game with it while my mom was pregnant with me.

User Info Menu

Yeah I got an old Pearl Valencia kit from the late 60's which I've been casually restoring. Well and truly older than me.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I thought about going for a Slingerland snare that was older than me once, but it just wasn't the right time, or the right drum. Everything I have is younger than me, and the older I get, then harder it will be to get gear that it older than me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I don't own anything old that is drum related, but I do have a few things from the 1890's that were my grandfather's.
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I theres a guitar thats older than me in my house.... no drums though. All of my speakers are older than me. and my last PA system was 15 years older than me
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I have a GeneKrupaRK143...I think it's from approx. 1954? Oh yeah and the sling kit it goes to in my album.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-11-2011 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

My dynasonic is older than me. And I believe my premiers are too. Possibly my power tower. And probably the zildjians that came with the premiers.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

dave0549jv Guest

My acrolite is older than i am. I think it's a late 70's model. I'm an early 80's model. I think that's it as far as drum gear.

My house is considerably older than i am. in fact, it's older than my grandmother.

User Info Menu

Yes, my two Rogers kits are older, the Dynasonic snare, a Premier snare is also from the 1960's, this Drouyn snare that I'll be picking up on Wednesday is also a 1960's vintage and I'll have to get an age estimate of the 20" Paiste 2002 Medium and 22" 2002 Crash....they have the old black logos on them.

As for other non-drumming items......I've one of my grandfather's WW2 medals and a great-grandfather's WW1 medals, my grandfather's T-square (he was a design engineer and draftsman by trade), I also have all his engineering guide books and manuals, his Masonic papers, a ton of sepia and black white photos that are of him and some that he took, and all his woodworking tools such as a hole saw, various chisels and screwdrivers, wood planes, files, bench vices, hammers, a wooden mallet, drill bits, a thread cutting tool (in imperial inches), rulers, a spirit level, calipers and various measuring instruments....all manufactured by the Stanlet Company in England from the 1940'2 to '60's.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

No, that would be a REALLY old drum.

User Info Menu

One of my snare drums (Pearl World series) is from the early 80's.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Yes. I've got a 1969 Sonor D-444 snare drum.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Yup, my Rogers kit. 68" Holiday in Blue Onyx.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Everything i own was made post-1995.

User Info Menu

Drum wise, i mean.

User Info Menu

Pre serial Ludwig LM400 with baseball throw off from 1960-1962
    "PLAY IT LOUD AND PLAY IT PROUD":

User Info Menu

It was suggested that my 15x6" single ply maple snare is pre 1920 and the research I did seems to support that, Its considerably older than me(1976).

My oldest owned thing man made is a roman copper coin. Its about 1690 years old, not rare but old.

User Info Menu

I play a '66 Slingerland kit and a '76 Slingerland snare, born in '84.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Possibly. I have a Slingerland snare. I know it's old but I don't know exactly how old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Possibly. I have a Slingerland snare. I know it's old but I don't know exactly how old.
    marko, if you'll post some pics in the Slingerland thread, I'll help you date it.
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    marko, if you'll post some pics in the Slingerland thread, I'll help you date it.
    Thanks. I'll snap some tonight. I appreciate the offer!

User Info Menu

I have a premier kit that was my first kit and it was made at some point in the 70s, (I was born in 82). I got it when I was 12 and it had been through a few owners before me. I haven't ever touched it since I got my rockstars 10 years ago, but i still have it, maybe I should sell it rather than just keep storing it?

I also had a 70s Premier Royal Ace snare drum which I sold recently to a guy who had a kick and tom in the same colour and was trying to restore the full kit, thats much better than me keeping it to hopefully restore myself one day, as that may never have happened, I'm confident it went to a good home.
    Mike.

"If men are from Mars, and Women are from venus then drummers... are from Pluto!" - Hughie (as played by the amazing Billy Connolly) taken from the film 'Still Crazy'.

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering" - Brandon Lee

http://www.jerzeystreetband.com
    http://www.myspace.com/jerzeystband
    http://www.facebook.com/jerzeystreetband