Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floor Tom Build - good or bad idea?

User Info Menu

Default Floor Tom Build - good or bad idea?

Looking for opinions here. My current kit setup is a Pearl SMX Session custom in Vintage Fade, fusion sizes. I've never been particularly enamored with the 14" hanging tom and I had always meant to get an add-on tom, but I was always scared away by the $350+ price tag. (I mean, how badly did I REALLY need it, right?) At this point the SMX has been discontinued for a while, and I've not seen a matching 16" floor tom on ebay for a while.

This brings me to an idea I have been thinking of. Would it be dumb to try build a floor tom, robbing the lugs off of my 14" and trying to do a fade finish on a floor tom myself?

I got the idea from a website where someone did a fade finish with spray cans and it looked great, so I figure I could probably get it close enough to pass casual scrutiny. All told, doing a drum build like this would bring me in probably under the $200 mark, and I'm thinking 14" depth would probably be about right - I think 16" would be too big.

Here are pics of a guitar body done with a spray can finish.

Thoughts? Has anyone else ever done anything like this at home? I started to rethink the idea when someone posted a kit they made, but they did theirs with some pro-level equipment.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor Tom Build - good or bad idea?

for a while now iv also been thinking of building a 14X14 ft to work with my 16X16 floor tom. i figured i could just use the lugs from my 13" tom... the reason it might not work for me is i dont know were to get basswood shells with the same wood grain....
    i think it could work... just follow his steps but when it comes to spraying the paint just use spray cans..
    the only problem i can see is that there might be small bumps on the drum but if your careful u could avoid this
    but im no expert
    if i wer u id pm stuperprohero and ask him, he seems to have alot of experience with this stuff.
    good luck though, interested to see the outcome.

User Info Menu

Definitly sounds do-able trickg!! My biggest recommendation would be go to a home improvement store and buy a small say 4X4 or smaller sheet of furniture grade plywood. Get one that has the outter veneer close to the species of your drum. It doesn't have to be exact, just similar in color. And with that just try to duplicate the fade you desire.
    At least this way you have a good idea of how close it will look and also what techniques will get the desired results.
    Maybe even use a piece the depth of the drum you want to build and see how it looks next to the rest of the kit.
    This would serve as a "test" panel to see where you're at. Once you get somethng close there's nothing to it but to do it.
    Another important bit of advise is to make sure you make something to spin the drum on when you do the actual shell. That way there is no dark places where you stopped and started. Use two pieces of plywood and mount a cheap $7 lazy susan bearing between them.

User Info Menu

I'm not worried about bumps on the drum - those colored lacquers tend to spray fairly fine, and when the top coat of clear goes on, according to the article (I'd have posted the link, but they sell stuff too, so I can't) that's what really gets the fade to blend with the solid backing color. Once I get all of that done, I'll have to wet sand it and polish it to get it to that mirror shine. I've done it before, but only with a clear lacquer on a natural finish.

Not sure where you'd get a basswood shell - the only solution I can think of for that would be to get a bassword veneer, only basswood isn't typically used as a veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Definitly sounds do-able trickg!! My biggest recommendation would be go to a home improvement store and buy a small say 4X4 or smaller sheet of furniture grade plywood. Get one that has the outter veneer close to the species of your drum. It doesn't have to be exact, just similar in color. And with that just try to duplicate the fade you desire.
    At least this way you have a good idea of how close it will look and also what techniques will get the desired results.
    Maybe even use a piece the depth of the drum you want to build and see how it looks next to the rest of the kit.
    This would serve as a "test" panel to see where you're at. Once you get somethng close there's nothing to it but to do it.
    Another important bit of advise is to make sure you make something to spin the drum on when you do the actual shell. That way there is no dark places where you stopped and started. Use two pieces of plywood and mount a cheap $7 lazy susan bearing between them.
    All great ideas! The wood wouldn't be difficult - I can pick up a small plank of maple at my local Home Depot to test the colors for matching, and the lazy suzan bearings sound like a great way to go.
    Last edited by trickg; 09-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Another thing on the lazy susan setup; I originally was going to use a record player but the motor was too weak and wouldn't spin it fast enough so that's a waste of time.
    So, when you make the lazy susan, make the top section that you actually set the drum on twice as thick with 2 layers of plywood. The reason this is important is it adds to the rotating mass and helps keep the thing spinning longer. Don't be afraid to make it a couple inches bigger in diameter than the drum.
    Hope all goes well and can't wait to see the results.

User Info Menu

Not sure when I'll do this project, but more and more it looks like it's going to be the way to do it if I ever want to see a 16" tom on my kit.

The good news here is that while there may be some slight tonal differences (Keller shell vs the Pearl shell) I'll have more control over the size. Pearl right now does 16x16 on legs, and 16x13(depth) hanging. I want 16x14 on legs - I just think it would be better with my current 10 and 12 inch toms.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

This is the stage where I would (ir)rationally convince myself that I NEEDED an entirely new kit .

I love DIY stuff, so if you take this on, please post progress with pics!
    And with stuperprohero giving pointers, I'd say you are in pretty good hands.

Good luck man...

User Info Menu

Instead of making a turntable, why not clamp a bicycle wheel horizontally in a vice (using the axle). Sit the drum on it and spin

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    This is the stage where I would (ir)rationally convince myself that I NEEDED an entirely new kit .

I love DIY stuff, so if you take this on, please post progress with pics!
    And with stuperprohero giving pointers, I'd say you are in pretty good hands.

Good luck man...
    I wouldn't mind a new kit, but I just don't want to spend that kind of money and the truth is, other than the 14x11 inch hanging tom, I really like my drums. The bass drum has that deep in the chest thump, and the 10 and 12 inch toms are really round and resonant. I think the reason I don't like the 14" tom is because I keep it tuned lower than I should to try to give me a lower sound than it's really capable of.

Speaking of drum build projects, a DIY project, provided that the right hardware could be obtained, would be a great way to go if you wanted a rope-tensioned snare drum. Current prices on those are well over $700, and yet a standard size is 16x16 - if you had the right hardware (hoops, snare, feet, etc) it would be pretty easy to do up a rope tensioned snare drum for well under that cost.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about doing the same thing with an 18"x16". Haven't made a decision yet though, it can be quite pricey!
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

I thought I'd update this because I'm closer to pulling the trigger to order the parts necessary, and I got to thinking about something. My initial plan was to add a 16" floor tom sized 16x14. The reason I've wanted to make that addition is because I never felt like I got the depth out of my 14x11 hanging tom - it's a nice short size, but just doesn't have the depth.

My question is, should I continue with the plan to build a 16x14, or should I look into doing a "square" drum and stick with the 14" diameter, and build a 14x14 instead?

My first kit had a 14x12 hanging tom, and it was better than my current 14x11 for lows, just one inch taller, although to be fair, it was birch whereas my current kit is maple. That was what gave me the idea that maybe I could keep my footprint a tad smaller by going with a deeper 14" tom.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I thought I'd update this because I'm closer to pulling the trigger to order the parts necessary, and I got to thinking about something. My initial plan was to add a 16" floor tom sized 16x14. The reason I've wanted to make that addition is because I never felt like I got the depth out of my 14x11 hanging tom - it's a nice short size, but just doesn't have the depth.

My question is, should I continue with the plan to build a 16x14, or should I look into doing a "square" drum and stick with the 14" diameter, and build a 14x14 instead?

My first kit had a 14x12 hanging tom, and it was better than my current 14x11 for lows, just one inch taller, although to be fair, it was birch whereas my current kit is maple. That was what gave me the idea that maybe I could keep my footprint a tad smaller by going with a deeper 14" tom.
    My floor toms (both hanging) are 14x12 and 16x14. The 14" drum sounds incredible. It's my favorite drum. It's birch.

User Info Menu

There's a 16x14 Session tom in that finish on ebay at the moment ...
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Wrong finish - that's an SBX birch Session in tobacco burst - mine is an SMX maple Session in vintage fade - intriguing though - I wonder if it would be close enough. From the pic, it doesn't look like the standard tobacco burst - the colors are closer to the vintage fade.

Might have to bid and see what happens. Either way, if I win it I'll lose the opti-mount and go with legs.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

If you are wanting more depth from a floor tom, I would definately go 14 x 16 and not 14 x14. I went through the same delima as you and bought a 14 x 16 and recovered it to match my kit and I really like it. Good luck and keep us updated. John

User Info Menu

Wrong finish - that's an SBX birch Session in tobacco burst - mine is an SMX maple Session in vintage fade - intriguing though - I wonder if it would be close enough. From the pic, it doesn't look like the standard tobacco burst - the colors are closer to the vintage fade.

Might have to bid and see what happens. Either way, if I win it I'll lose the opti-mount and go with legs.
    Ahh ok, not very familiar with pearls finishes, just looked like the pic of the guitar. I tried, good luck!
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Ahh ok, not very familiar with pearls finishes, just looked like the pic of the guitar. I tried, good luck!
    Oh no, you did great! I sincerely appreciate the information. I haven't bid yet - right now I'm watching it to see where it will go. It had 5 days left last night so if it stays somewhere in the ballpark, I'll probably snag it. There would be a couple of advantages. For one, I don't have to build it or finish it - just put the legs on it. Second, I'd get to keep my 14x11 hanging tom - right now my plan is to rob the lugs from that for the 16" project.

In my life time is a valuable commodity so if I can get it for the right kind of price, it would be worth it to me to go ahead and buy it, even if it is birch intead of maple. In the context of the playing I do, would it really be that different?

Learn it. Love it.

Larrysperf Guest

Oh no, you did great! I sincerely appreciate the information. I haven't bid yet - right now I'm watching it to see where it will go. It had 5 days left last night so if it stays somewhere in the ballpark, I'll probably snag it. There would be a couple of advantages. For one, I don't have to build it or finish it - just put the legs on it. Second, I'd get to keep my 14x11 hanging tom - right now my plan is to rob the lugs from that for the 16" project.

In my life time is a valuable commodity so if I can get it for the right kind of price, it would be worth it to me to go ahead and buy it, even if it is birch intead of maple. In the context of the playing I do, would it really be that different?
    Not that anyone would notice. My 13 tom is an old rogers and my set is 100 %birch and I love it

User Info Menu

I would for sure go with a 16" drum. That way, you could still use the 14 if you were so inclined. I was in your boat for about a year - I finally have a sweet looking and sounding kit, but I really missed the sound of a big floor tom. A new one could be made for $800+, which I find ridiculous. I tried to find a used drum in any wood, with or without the fade (Yamaha has solid and faded Sea Blue finishes), in any series without luck. I eventually got a blue Vistalite drum that looks cool with the kit and sounds huge. Consider an amber or clear 16x16 or 16x14 concert tom. They go for 200-300 on ebay. It's always behind everything else anyway, so an exact match isn't critical.

User Info Menu

I ordered the shell today - 14x16. I'll use the lugs from my 14" unless I can other SMX lugs elsewhere for a decent deal. As this progresses I'll post pics.

Edit - I wound up going with a standard maple shell. That will best match my SMX both sonically and visually. Now the trick will be to do the finish. I ordered tinted color tone lacquer from Stewart MacDonald, so that will be the base of my fade finish - hopefully I can get this going in the right way. I plan on covering the whole shebang with Deft gloss lacquer. I finished my DIY snare project with Deft and it has proven to be a really nice looking glossy finish. Since it is all supposed to be nitrocellulose lacquer, there shouldn't be any issues mixing the two.
    Last edited by trickg; 10-10-2011 at 10:26 AM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Back to the drawing board - sort of. I was curtly informed today by the supplier for the drum shell that unless I bought all hardware from him, then he wasn't going to drill or edge the shell. Nice. I've sung this guy's praises on various forums since I did my last project, but it appears I'll sing his praises no longer and I will find another supplier.

Now the question is whether to try and have the new supplier also do the drilling, or if I should try to do it myself. I'll need to get some decent bits - brad point bits help to keep things from tearing out so I'll need to get some of those. I think it might be easier to just do it myself - that way I've only got myself to blame if I screw it up, but I also get the credit if/when it turns out right.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Back to the drawing board - sort of. I was curtly informed today by the supplier for the drum shell that unless I bought all hardware from him, then he wasn't going to drill or edge the shell. Nice. I've sung this guy's praises on various forums since I did my last project, but it appears I'll sing his praises no longer and I will find another supplier.

Now the question is whether to try and have the new supplier also do the drilling, or if I should try to do it myself. I'll need to get some decent bits - brad point bits help to keep things from tearing out so I'll need to get some of those. I think it might be easier to just do it myself - that way I've only got myself to blame if I screw it up, but I also get the credit if/when it turns out right.
    Wow, that's too bad.

User Info Menu

I'm still stymied. I got a note back from the new supplier saying they don't have 16" diameter in an 8 ply configuration. I don't really want 6 ply - I think that the thicker shell, which will still only be 6.7 mm compared to my SMX's 7.5, is the better option. I'm going to call them. If they are expecting the 8 ply shells soon, I'll go with that, otherwise, I might be looking for yet another supplier.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Well, the new tom shell is ordered, and other things have started to trickle in - I got the tinted lacquer from StewMac today so at some point I'll do a dry run on a piece of scrap wood to see what I can come up with. There is more than enough lacquer there to do the job - the top coat is what is going to take layer after layer, and multiple cans, but that's something I can pick up locally.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I might start another thread about this, but I have finally embarked upon my floor tom project build. Here are some pics of just the bare shell with a single coat of sanding sealer.

It's actually not quite that dark of a color - I kind of held my hand over the flash to keep it from glaring out too badly, and so the lighting isn't quite enough, but it's better than the glared out alternative.

Learn it. Love it.