Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicko McBrain

User Info Menu

Default Nicko McBrain

Nico McBrain

Drummer: Nicko McBrain
    Main Style: Progressive Rock
    Main Band:
    Brief Summary: McBrain's drumming is an important element of the Iron Maiden sound from 1983's Piece of Mind on. His drums and cymbals are notoriously high, almost completely concealing him when playing live. This display allows bigger drums and cymbals to be placed within reach; he also places the snare drum higher and closer to the rest of the drumset, facing towards him; this allows him to have the bass drum closer to the hi-hat, giving him a more relaxed sitting posture.

Other facts: Born June 5th 1952 as Michael Henry McBrain in Hackney London England

User Info Menu

Default Re: Nicko McBrain

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNb-BvwUMQ0"]Iron Maiden "Where Eagles Dare"-Live - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

When I was a younger man, I used to religiously play the "Number of the Beast" album from start to finish as part of my daily practice session. I really enjoyed Clive's playing on that album, but as soon as I heard "Piece of Mind" it was all over.
    No dis-respect to Clive, but Nicko just took Maiden to another level IMO.
    He is the biggest influence on my playing (along with Stewart Copeland) and has changed the way I think about playing.
    Thanks to you Nicko - you're a dead set legend mate!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

BTW, here's some pics of our man....

User Info Menu

Nick is the man do your self a favor and grab his rythem of the beast clinic video off the bands website if your a nick fan you will find it entertaining
    Ok boys and girls
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Like many of us, I'm sure, I would like to give Nicko's kit a run!

User Info Menu

Spesman, I felt the same way. Couldn't get enough of the beast album and was afraid of dissapointment when I heard Clive left. As soon as Where Eagles Dare started playing I was hooked!

User Info Menu

Nicko is doing a tour later in the year. I think it covers UK and Europe. You can find out about it on the Premier website. Should be interesting!
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

Anyone know the story of how Nicko got his nickname?

From Wiki:

"...Upon leaving school, McBrain paid his rent by undertaking session work, before deciding to join his first 'proper' band, 'The 18th Fairfield Walk', later known as 'Peyton Bond'. A small pub band, which he decided was "never gonna go anywhere" as they only performed Otis Redding, The Beatles and The Who covers, McBrain soon left to join 'The Wells Street Blues Band', which renamed themselves 'The Axe' in 1969. Although this group would play their own material, the band split up after an argument between the singer and the guitarist, and McBrain began playing with Billy Day, a singer and keyboardist, and Michael 'Mickey' Lesley, a guitarist, in 1971. At that point, he was known as 'Nicky', a nickname given to him by his parents after his teddy bear, Nicholas, until an intoxicated Billy Day introduced him to Di.ck Asher, head of CBS Records, as 'Neeko', while they were recording at CBS Studios, Whitfield Street. McBrain liked the name, changing it to Nicko "so that it sounded more English" and decided to keep it even after leaving the group."
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Spesman, I felt the same way. Couldn't get enough of the beast album and was afraid of dissapointment when I heard Clive left. As soon as Where Eagles Dare started playing I was hooked!
    Yeah man, me too!! Once that drum intro started, it was all over.
    What a killer way to stamp your own feel on the band from word go, not to mention what a great way to start an album!!

User Info Menu

I have never seen anyone have as much fun behind the kit as much as this guy.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    I have never seen anyone have as much fun behind the kit as much as this guy.
    For sure. I love the Rock in Rio dvd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    For sure. I love the Rock in Rio dvd.
    See this is where that ' like' button would come in handy. I love that concert especially when fear of the dark comes on. The cheers of the crowd are amazing!
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    See this is where that ' like' button would come in handy. I love that concert especially when fear of the dark comes on. The cheers of the crowd are amazing!
    What a great song! One of my favs!

User Info Menu

Best single bass drummer alive!!! Fun fact nicko has a bicep where his right calf used to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Animal Fury View Post
    Best single bass drummer alive!!! Fun fact nicko has a bicep where his right calf used to be.
    Niko is one awesome kick player, but there are also some other really good single bass players out there. Like Leonard Haze. Just as an FYI.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8U6NdQzvYA"]Yesterday and Today - Dreams of Egypt - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

I watched I think its called flight 666 cool video. never really listened to maiden before
    Last edited by 2gsmackfans; 10-22-2011 at 09:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2gsmackfans View Post
    I watched I think its called flight 666 cool video. never really listened to maiden before
    Well that's a pretty good introduction to Maiden bro.
    If you liked that, check out the "Live After Death" live dvd. It's got all their classic hits and it's produced really well for a live show. These guys are great players mate.

User Info Menu

This is a Masterpiece IMO...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTEQf1d9Iw&feature=related"]Iron Maiden - Alexander The Great (with lyrics) - YouTube[/ame]

You really gotta hear the whole thing though.
    Last edited by Homeularis; 10-24-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

the custom Paiste lettering in the first pic is pretty freakin cool.. didn't he play Sonor's for awhile? Looks like Premier is his choice now.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-26-2011 at 08:39 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

also those might be the same drums in all those pics just with different wraps.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stick clicker View Post
    Nicko is doing a tour later in the year. I think it covers UK and Europe. You can find out about it on the Premier website. Should be interesting!
    I went, with my lad at the Wolverhampton part of his tour ... very good and a special night for my boy (11 yrs old), Nicko gave a great evening's entertainment. up close playing and met the guy at the end.
    Having watched Maiden since '82 (I know he wasn't with them then) meeting him etc first time since '85 it was special for me too.

If I could work out how to include a photo I'd insert it - as it is I'll update my Avatar
    Cheers

Lionheart

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the custom Paiste lettering in the first pic is pretty freakin cool.. didn't he play Sonor's for awhile? Looks like Premier is his choice now.
    Yeah that custom lettering is the bomb!
    Straight from wikipedia website when you search for "Sonor":
    Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden was one of the most prominent Sonor artists of the 80's, along with Steve Smith of Journey, Phil Rudd of AC/DC, and jazz legend Jack DeJohnette.

User Info Menu

hate to repost but did you see my "Something cool about Nicko McBrain" post?
    It was this video of him with Pat Travers. He had that "flow" even back then. I didn't realize he could get so funky.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vjDZAocnkc"]Pat Travers - Hooked on Music - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    hate to repost but did you see my "Something cool about Nicko McBrain" post?
    It was this video of him with Pat Travers. He had that "flow" even back then. I didn't realize he could get so funky.

Pat Travers - Hooked on Music - YouTube
    Cool stuff.