Thread: i need a band!

User Info Menu

Default i need a band!

As you all know my jerk of a guitarist pretty much imploded my band shades of gray.

i need suggestions on how to form a new one?
    but what i really am asking is this: what kind of genre of music should the band be?

i know i'm a punk/metalcore influenced drummer. but i like other stuff too.
    what should i do?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

You should'nt let anyone tell you what kind of music to play.

The only band advice I can give you is something that took me a long time to learn. Don't just form a band with your friends just because they are your friends. Instead, find people who share the same ideas as you both sonically and in your goals.

User Info Menu

Amen, EP! Whenever you come together with other people, having a common purpose is the way to success. I've seen more friendships broken simply because the group was not all pulling in the same direction.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

It is sometimes easier to join a band than it is to form a new one. Find a band you like and hang out. Don't try to steal the gig but let the band know in a subtle way that if the chair ever became open, you'd like a shot at being the new drummer.

User Info Menu

i just might place a want ad at my local samash saying this:
    PUNK/METALCORE INFLUENCED DRUMMER AVAILABLE
    like that

User Info Menu

A good resource is your local craigslist.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/ and lookin the Musicians section.

User Info Menu

huh?

User Info Menu

It's like a giant classifieds. go into musicans and you will see people looking to form bands. Or you can post your own ad.

User Info Menu

i'll go with the 2nd option

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i'll think about it.
    thanks guys!

User Info Menu

lol im a metalcore punk drummer too. I like to play funk :P And if i play bass.. pop /funk.

El is right. Dont restrict yourself. And the classifieds are really really good. Dont just walk in there say hi im the new drummer though. Hang out, have afew drinks. Laugh and play then when someone says let jam just have fun. Its how they test what your like not actually sit you in a chair and say play. and you try figure something out.

If they do that your prolly acting towards something too professional and you wont have much fun,

Then again concert bands do that :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
    You should'nt let anyone tell you what kind of music to play.

The only band advice I can give you is something that took me a long time to learn. Don't just form a band with your friends just because they are your friends. Instead, find people who share the same ideas as you both sonically and in your goals.
    This is true, Entropy (before it was called Entropy) used to have my friend Andrew as a vocalist, anyone who's listened to those horrible recordings knows how that went... his genre leaned too far toward punk for us really and he wanted us to play alot more black metal than we intended to, it just didn't work and we kind of sucked until he left.

So obviously you have to find people who want to play the same thing you do. As for your genre maybe start a punk/metalcore band then see what other interests the other members have, and where they intersect with you branch out into that genre a little, diversity's always good, but don't play anything other members would hate to play either, you have to find common ground.

User Info Menu

Ringo: I just (today) joined a band. Found a "band seeking drummer" ad in the classifieds of one of our local on-line rags, emailed back and forth, set up an audition and voila... I'm now the drummer in the band. The advise above is all excellent. Don't restrict yourself. NEVER start a band with friends unless you are absolutely positive that you share the same goals and musical tastes. It's one of the best ways to ruin a friendship. For the several times that I've been in a band, I find it so much easier to find a band looking for a drummer with an established song list. That way I know up front if I like the music they're playing and, if I don't see songs that I would like to play (if it fits the genre), then I suggest. 9 times out of 10, we end up playing several songs that I have suggested because they fit the style of the band.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

if u like all different kinds of music, mix up the genres. kid rock mixes rock and rap and alott of other people do too. even if u hit a couple of speed bumps along the way, keep on rockin. rock on

User Info Menu

i really would like to do some sort of mix up
    like somehow combine the heaviness of death metal/metalcore with the vocal ability and guitar work of grunge.
    in other words: Combine Alice in Chains with lamb of god and a little avenged sevenfold.

User Info Menu

While it's good to combine elements of different sounds. I wouldn't do something that plays in several different genres. When you do that, you tend to alienate people. Say you play a couple of metal songs, your metal heads like it. Then, you do the grunge songs and you have completly lost your metal people. and vis versa.

If you fuse 2 genres then you might find your nice fan base of those who like both and really get into your combo. But people somtimes tend to think that if you play more than one genre that fans will see how talented they are, and unless you're a cover band that's simply never the case.

User Info Menu

it's happened before i mean look at bands like rage against the machine and linkin park they are rap/metal and they were successful.
    i'd just like to have the heavy power chords and blast beats/double bass of death metal, with the gravely voices of grunge with that classic dirty sound.
    i'm not fusing genres i'm just incorporating different elements to create a unique sound.

User Info Menu

I think fusing genre's is sometimes a good place to start. What I was saying is if instead of fusing rap and rock if rage played some rock and then went to straight hip-hop, that they would not be able to establish a fan base from just being all over the place. Do what you want to do man, my advice though is to stay focused.

User Info Menu

aight

User Info Menu

Cool i need a band!

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    As you all know my jerk of a guitarist pretty much imploded my band shades of gray.

i need suggestions on how to form a new one?
    but what i really am asking is this: what kind of genre of music should the band be?

i know i'm a punk/metalcore influenced drummer. but i like other stuff too.
    what should i do?
    While it's good to learn other things--and if you want to stretch your chops as a drummer, you should--it's also good to look for other musicians that share your interests. If you're all focused in the same direction, it's gonna show in your performance.

Don't sell craigslist short...but don't rely on that alone either. I'm sure you've met more than a few musicians in your playing...check around with the guys and gals you know. That's what they call "networking"...and as drummer says, it might be easier to join another band and be ready for a new gig than to try to create an all-new band all at once.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Have you looked on www.bandtastic.com ? First off, Christian musicians are REALLY hard to find. I was lucky enough to find a band that had lost it's drummer. They found my profile on either bandtastic or bandmix, I'm not sure which.
    Ronny