Thread: songwriting

User Info Menu

Default songwriting

my friend and I and a bassist we are still looking for are all into jimihendrix and red hot chili peppers. we play some of their songs but its just songwriting that kills me. what kind of things can you write songs about. it seems impossible to think of original lyrics

User Info Menu

Just write about whatever. Stuff that makes you angry is a good idea cos then you have a emotional conection to what you are writing about.

User Info Menu

i say when it comes to writing, write whatever comes to ur mind. when u try to restrict urself on what to write u'll never get anything done. writing is all about freedom of expression. just like vinny above said, write about whats keeping u down at the time. that usually brings tha best outta most writers.

User Info Menu

take nirvana, lots of his music doesnt make sence, but its what was on his heart, not anyone elses. Id love to write songs, If i knew how.

User Info Menu

The Nirvana style of writing was dead simple.
    Here's what most of them are about:
    1) An idea or experience that you want to write a song around.
    2) Begin to explore this idea and conjure up metaphors for it.
    3) Get the idea and stick it in the chorus.
    4) Write music to go to it!
    Well, they did this in reverse but meh...it works, take Smells Like Teen Spirit. There's mention of 'little tribes' and stuff referencing teenagers and all that, and then the chorus says both lyrically and musically what the message is - we're rebelling or something.
    If you want to write a story though, like Dani California, you should plot out what you want to write. Then you tell the story...like a bit for each verse. If you have 3 verses, write the beginning for the first verse, then the middle for the second verse, then the end for the third verse. The chorus again celebrates the meaning of the song. Dani California appears to follow this structure; The whole 'Gettin' born in the state of Mississipi' bit, the bit in the middle where she's robbing and stuff, then the bit at the end where she meets her match. The chorus is celebrating the story, which is nothing more than a story celebrating her life - there's no message in it.

Call me pretencious if you want for writing that but that's just what I notice when I read the lyrics...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

that was actually explained really well, thanks Frog.

User Info Menu

Wow...thanks for that, that's what my lyrics always look like anyway o_O

User Info Menu

Cool songwriting

It's a cliche, but "write what you know" is what I've always heard.

Simple as that, but, bro', it can become pretty complicated...

good luck, and...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

Shazane Guest

A very different explanation from the ones so far it seems...

But as for me, it depends on the genre you're doing, using the right emotion is the key.

When I write death metal I write about things that make me angry, like government oppression, when I write black metal I focus on dark and twisted subjects like tragedies. Then, whatever your subject, I break it down into a story, figure out form what perspective it is told from, who is good and evil from that perspective.

It's also important to use symbolism, whatever the story is dont just tell it, dont be direct about your purpose, but represent what you mean with something else. For example in black metal it's common to reference the middle ages to reflect on the subject.

The least important thing really is the rhyme and meter, but I try to get it right because it drastically improves how the song sounds when vocalised. Using iambs also improves the flow, and a unique rhyme scheme can be interesting.

That's what works for me, hope it helped you out somewhat. Here's some of my stuff if you think it would help you http://shadows-of-chaos.deviantart.com/gallery/

User Info Menu

Waltz around the room, with a glaze in your stare.
    In your tuxedo suit. I'll give it a name. Lower
    defenses. I'll lower the casket. Open the door.
    Open the grave. Murder. Now you're doing the waltz with your murderer......
    Waltz around the room, with a glaze in your stare.
    In your tuxedo suit. I'll give it a name. Lower
    defenses. I'll lower the casket. Open the door. Open the grave.
    Mediocrity is the killer.

You find yourself helpless. Christ is not a fashion,
    fleeting away. fashion...

Then for the mid 8

He laid emeralds in her eyes, oh but I'd
    already tried. a bracelet made of gold and scarlet
    thread around her wrist. and everything was wrong so we
    sang sentimental songs. Oh how seldom we belong but
    how elegant our kiss. and we painted crooked lies but we
    danced in perfect time to a love so much refined, we
    know not what it is until like a dullen wine we pour
    into a grief we know before but it's never quite like this. never quite like this.
    All I know now is regret, it follows like a silhouette
    along the cobblestone behind me, but has nothing to
    say except to innocently ask, a voice as delicate as
    glass, "Do you see me when we pass?" but I continue on
    my way.

Thats the song :P Its one of my favorite songs its beautiful. Prolly the best one normajean ever released.

Dont just write what you think... Write in metaphor.... Good metaphors :P Otherwise you get boring clogging music.

I call it clogging because thats what is clogging the music industry.... People payed to pump songs out like battery hens. There is no thought and feeling into it. Thats why i love what i love. Albums are released every 3 to 6 years with my bands......

I find it best to not write while your happy either (Unless your extacticly happy). It seems to come best right after you been hurt by someone or an event has touched you.(It could be more for my genre too)
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

Shazane Guest

My post from 2 days ago never showed up, what the hell?

What I do is think of a theme, come up with a short story representing that theme, and use symbols to represent the story.

First of all it depends on your genre, it's important to get the right emotions involved. When I'm writing a black metal song I use some dark aspect of human nature like deception, and when writing death metal I use anger to my advantage with a theme like oppression. You want to write the emotion into the lyrics so it will be instilled on the audience.

In this type of song it's important to know the point of view of the story, because the perspective will determine what is good and evil and what emotions will be involved.

The least important thing is the rhyme and rhythm and meter, but I always try to get them right, it drastically improves the way the song sounds when performed. Also it forces you to use more interesting vocabulary to fit your meter. Using iambs also improves the flow, though it can be very difficult.

I'd also like to point out that 20 billion songs have used the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge format, please try to get away from this. A song doesnt need a chorus at all, and when it is unnecesary it can ruin the mood of the song. It's important that it is arranged in a way that conveys the emotion, so rather than verses and choruses, start with an exposition and build up to a climax. Eliminate pointless repetition! This format does work for some songs but dont just use the same setup for every single song you write, originality is the key!

User Info Menu

HAHA You have the right idea! :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w

I find it best to not write while your happy either (Unless your extacticly happy). It seems to come best right after you been hurt by someone or an event has touched you.(It could be more for my genre too)
    to true

User Info Menu

Im lucky, I play horror punk so all you really have to sing about is loving a dead chick, killing someone that hurt you, nercrophelia, zombies, and vampires. but the singer in my band is a really good writer heres a verse fron one of our songs. If you thuink it sux you can tell me lol.
    In Silence-
    Lets run of
    past the shadows
    noone will find us
    so we can be alooone
    torchlite chambers
    This haunted hollow
    theyll search for days but they'll never find our home
    What do ya call a drummer whos girlfriend just broke up with him???

Homeless.

User Info Menu

I think i like it. Lemme process it for a little longer
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

Shazane Guest

sorry for the double post my first one took forever to show up but it eventually did...

User Info Menu

Here is one of the most touching and haunting songs I've heard recently.
    It sounds very uplifting but if you read the lyrics and watch the video, well...I'll just say it's the kind of song that you suddenly, beautifully see in a different light.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7uc-p8fbyEM
    Lyrics here;

At home, drawing pictures of mountain tops, with him on top
    Lemon yellow sun, arms raised in a V
    The dead lay in pools of maroon below

Daddy didn't give attention
    To the fact that mommy didn't care
    King Jeremy the wicked, oh, ruled his world
    Jeremy spoke in class today (2x)

Clearly I remember pickin' on the boy
    Seemed a harmless little ~~~~
    But we unleashed a lion
    Gnashed his teeth and bit the recess lady's breast
    How could I forget?
    And he hit me with a surprise left
    My jaw left hurtin', ooh, dropped wide open
    Just like the day, oh, like the day I heard

Daddy didn't give affection
    And the boy was something mommy wouldn't wear
    King Jeremy the wicked, ruled his world

Jeremy spoke in class today (3x)
    Woo (14x)
    Try to forget this...try to forget this...
    Try to erase this...try to erase this...
    From the blackboard...

Jeremy spoke in class today (2x)
    Jeremy spoke in, spoke in (2x)
    Jeremy spoke in class today
    Woo (29x)
    Woooooohhh...spoke in, spoke in
    Woooooohhh...uh huh, uh huh...

I think the thing you have to understand is this song is an ode of self loathing and paranoia, that ends up consuming this child. In the end, he can't turn to anything, and he just wants to erase himself out of existence. But it's done so artfully that if you don't understand the lyrics it sounds like something completely different.