Thread: Yamaha DTX500K... How do I add a Tom and a Cymbal???

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha DTX500K... How do I add a Tom and a Cymbal???

I have a Yamaha DTX500K. It's one of their new sets and it's pretty nice. In all of the literature online, it talks about being expandable like being able to add additional toms or cymbals. Anyway, I've upgraded the hi hat to the RHH135 and the pie cymbals to the PCY 135's. Both of which have really made this a NICE set.

What I don't quite get is that there are no more inputs on the module. I want to add my old hi hat pad as another tom and on of my left over pie cymbals as another cymbal for a splash. I'm guessing that I have to put a splitter on one or two of the inputs, but I don't know which one, what kind of cable splitter I need, or where to get this stuff.

Can any one explain (in simple terms for dummies like me) how to do this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha DTX500K... How do I add a Tom and a Cymbal???

the additional input is on the tom pad or kick pad.
    check it out. if I'm not mistaken, 1st tom (ch2) is for additional input 1 (ch10).
    actually I have a question. I have done some re-search and plan to buy a Yamaha kit. my choice is either DTX500k or DTX530K. Is it really worth it to spend that much money in to these stuff? Thanks

User Info Menu

Hey LiFeStArTs@FoRtY and welcome to the forum...the DTX500 series is a nice e-kit with good sounds..and based on your post it sounds like you've already made some enhancements with the cymbals and hihat...as far as adding extra toms, cymbals you are a little limited.

You can use the kick trigger input (8/9) for one extra tom/cymbal...this is done by using a stereo-to-mono splitter (pictured in your manual should be pg.9)...the only thing with this is your extra tom/cymbal will only be a single zone sound (i.e., just head or rim sound for tom, cymbal choice will either be edge, bow or bell)...

You can also split your tom inputs (2, 3, 4...also shown in manual 10, 11, 12...2/10, 3/11, 3/12)..but again you will only be able to have single zone sounds through each input (i.e., you'll give up your rim sounds on 2, 3, 4)..also this is done using stereo-to-mono splitter as well..

Personally I would just add an extra cymbal via kick trigger input and be happy..you've got a really good e-kit with great sounds pre-loaded IMO...

and if you just have to have more drums look to upgrade in the future to the DTX900 module..

User Info Menu

Yes, you need a splitter. One that will split the stereo jacks into two mono jacks. If you look on the back of the module you'll see that certain inputs are labeled as "3/7" or something like that (don't have it in front of my right now). But that basically means it's inputs number 3 and number 7, so that's one you'd use a splitter on. All three tom jacks support being split and there's also an additional jack in the back of the bass drum pad if you're using the Yamaha pad.

As for where to buy the splitters... Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Radio Shack. Take your pick.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I love this set! My next and last upgrade will be a 2 or 3 zone mesh or the new yammie white gummy one. So far I'm VERY impressed with the hi hat. Not only does it play better, it sounds better too... Go figure.

I'm pretty new to the drums and see some lessons in my future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LiFeStArTs@FoRtY View Post
    Thanks guys! I love this set! My next and last upgrade will be a 2 or 3 zone mesh or the new yammie white gummy one. So far I'm VERY impressed with the hi hat. Not only does it play better, it sounds better too... Go figure.

I'm pretty new to the drums and see some lessons in my future.
    Go with the Yamaha TCS pad over the mesh...it feels better, is quieter and will work better with the yamaha module...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ayamcupu View Post
    I have done some re-search and plan to buy a Yamaha kit. my choice is either DTX500k or DTX530K. Is it really worth it to spend that much money in to these stuff? Thanks
    I'd probably go with the DTX530...you'll get the RHH135 hihat pad (13" dia. - $229) and real hihat stand (approx. $69-$89), instead of the pcy100 (10 dia. - $99-$109) and boom arm attach ($29-$39) for hihat...it also includes a a second PCY135 (13" dia. - $129-$149) in place of a PCY100 (10" dia. - $99-$109) for your second cymbal...also I think there's only $200 difference in price, which is less than the difference (by about $80-$100)...

...if you can afford it you might also want to look at the full TCS pad kit, such as the DTX700K (it's under $2K at RMCaudio and has all TCS pads and a much better module than DTX500 series) or the DTX560K ($461 difference between both kits using RMCaudio's 15% dis.)
    ....regarding the TCS pads... they feel much better than the all rubber pads and are also a much quieter playing surface and feel more realistic than rubber pads....just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

@LiFeStArTs@FoRtY, sorry for the wrong info and use your thread to ask my question.
    @scorch whammin, Thanks for the info, I checked them. really interesting. 560 is such a good deal