Thread: Getting Noticed?

User Info Menu

Default Getting Noticed?

Hey Guys!
    I'm 13 years old, I've been playing for 2 years, and I'm trying to get noticed for my drum playing. Does anyone have any advice for me? I do make drum covers on Youtube, but what else can I do?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting Noticed?

My advice - stop trying to be noticed and just work on playing the music. If you are doing the right things, believe me, you'll be noticed. As drummers we tend to draw attention anyway.
    Last edited by trickg; 09-13-2011 at 09:08 PM.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Trick is right. If you've only been playing two years, you're not "ready" to get noticed yet. Your ambition is admirable. Use it to propel yourself into the mechanics and fundamentals of drumming that make people great. Study, practice and leave no stone unturned. Don't concentrate on getting noticed. Lock yourself in a room and "get good". Get REAL good. Then, as Trick said, people will notice. That is a definite.

Good luck! ... and welcome to our forum!

User Info Menu

Paradiseburned, you will find quite a few well seasoned drummers/musicians that can tell you everything you need to know, and the last 2 are not the least of them. You will find excellent experience here, although I am not one of them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As they've said. However, school bands are good. Lots of youtube covers. Enter drumming competitions. Show as many of your friends as possible, that will listen. The most important thing is getting good, and as they said, people WILL take notice. I guarantee.

User Info Menu

All the above is absolutely correct. 2 years is a fantastic start and we all respect you for sticking with it this long. But 2 years is also a point where you may really start to excell, so learn and practice all you can.
    The most important thing to remember is people will notice your playing for one of two reasons; either A. Because you are really good, or B. Because you are really bad. Drummers in between seldom get much recognition. So keep in mind that when you start to put yourself out there, what do you want to be noticed for?
    Another good thing to do to learn is to find some guys about your age to jam with. Don't get too serious about finding the right combination and making tour shirts, etc. Just some fun people to jam with and learn songs together. Doing this has a tendency to push you to be better and eventually you get noticed.
    One of my biggest most important pet peeves when I join a band is to never ever ever go out and play a single song that isn't tight as a group. It's just bad advertisement all around.

Practice, play good, and from your heart and you will get noticed.

User Info Menu

You can always test the waters at an open mic night.

User Info Menu

play on a street corner.
    why do you want to get noticed?
    the music industry is a hell run by demons the devil would love to have working for him if they already dont. noticed musicians dont make a whole lotta money. ask David Grohl, he was broke after Nirvana.
    thankfully big record companies have been killed, back in the day a band got 10 percent of all record sales IF you had a good deal, if you had 5 members you split that 10 percent 5 ways not to mention you toured your butt off for pennies. Aerosmith signed a contract that gave them 3% split 5 ways. most agents got a bigger share on their own contract.
    at age 13 you better be better than Bieber. hate him or not the kid could shred a drumset at age 10

Boston, Tom Petty and Joan Jett paved the way for the indie labels. Boston and Petty had to sue their labels to get what they deserved. took Boston 13 years in litigation to finally settle, then they finally gave their label their 3rd and last album under contract.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 09-14-2011 at 11:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a friend that made it to the "famous" part of the business. He made millions, called it quits a few years ago.

Stayed a few days with us while he was waiting for his house to be built in Arizona.

Over a couple of beers one night, he said to me that it was probably better that we never got signed because we probably had more fun than he had.

With the money comes the crap that comes with it. I did fine money-wise, but he's rich, and he thinks that in the long run, we had more fun because we were able to play clubs that he would have liked to play, but they couldn't afford to pay his band.

Be careful what you wish for.

User Info Menu

Im with trickg and drummer.

At 13 years of age and only playing for 2 years, I say you need more experience and the only way to get it is more practice and as stated the recognition will come when you are ready.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Good drum playing will get you noticed. Concentrate on learning, growing as a better player and musician there is always something to learn, learn from everyone. Try not to get caught up in so much as the attention of playing it takes away to much energy away that could be used to make you a great drummer. You will be notice as a drummer, but you want to be notice as a talented, great sounding player. It feels great when someone says I love the way you play, especially when that person is another drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    good drum playing will get you noticed. Concentrate on learning, growing as a better player and musician there is always something to learn, learn from everyone. Try not to get caught up in so much as the attention of playing it takes away to much energy away that could be used to make you a great drummer. You will be notice as a drummer, but you want to be notice as a talented, great sounding player. It feels great when someone says i love the way you play, especially when that person is another drummer.

+1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jackie View Post
    good drum playing will get you noticed. Concentrate on learning, growing as a better player and musician there is always something to learn, learn from everyone. Try not to get caught up in so much as the attention of playing it takes away to much energy away that could be used to make you a great drummer. You will be notice as a drummer, but you want to be notice as a talented, great sounding player. It feels great when someone says i love the way you play, especially when that person is another drummer.
    +2
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Thank you all so much for the advice! It means so much to me. And reading back now, I realize that I sound REAL C.ocky in this post, and I apologize for that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    Thank you all so much for the advice! It means so much to me. And reading back now, I realize that I sound REAL C.ocky in this post, and I apologize for that!
    You don't have to apologize for having confidence in your ability. Keep working to improve, and let your confidence grow. Maybe one day, we will be celebrating your success!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

With drumming the more confident you look and fell the better you play. Confidence is the key too greatness oh and lots of hours of hard work.
    PDP X7 Fusion Sparkling Black

Sabian:
    AA 14" Medium HiHats
    AA 16" medium Crash
    AA 18" Medium Crash
    AA 20" Medium Ride

Wuhan:
    17" china

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paradiseburned View Post
    And reading back now, I realize that I sound REAL C.ocky in this post, and I apologize for that!
    Haha dude don't worry about it. You didn't, and even still we all get where your coming from anyway. I wish you the best of luck. Heyy, maybe you could post some video's on Drumchat? I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see, and you could well get some recognition from us members!