Thread: Chopping out sticks.

User Info Menu

Default Chopping out sticks.

Gday, I've just gone to Zildjian A Custom Rezo's and I'm finding my sticks are chopping out really badly. I've never had new cymbals before. Is this something that can happen with new cymbals? Any other ideas? Cheers, John

User Info Menu

Default Re: Chopping out sticks.

I'm guessing it has to do more with cymbal position and/or technique as opposed to cymbal type or whether they are new or old. Got any pics of your set up you can post?

User Info Menu

Yeah i agree it's bot what is wrong with the cymbal or stick position itself but more or less it's the position of your cymbal sitting on the stand.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat JRawle2!

My guess is that you either went with a different size on the new cymbal, or you positioned it differently, and you are striking the stick more on the edge of the cymbal. You can either lower the cymbal a little, or you can tilt it toward you just a little. That should get your stick off the edge of the cymbal and keep your sticks from becoming firestarters before their time.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks, it's weird how they're chopping. Nothings changed, height, angle, sticks etc are all the same. I've felt the edges of the cymbals and they do feel a bit sharper than my old cymbals. Thought I might try to lightly sand the edges with fine emery (round them off a bit). I'll let you all know how it goes. Cheers, John

User Info Menu

I have my cymbals straight and I notice that I chew through sticks like no other, I'm talking a pair per gig and a pair per 2-3 practices if I can get that many practices in with one pair I'm lucky! Angling them will save you some money on sticks, but it's just not comfortable for me. Let me know how the sanding goes!!
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

slight cymbal angles along with glancing blows you shouldnt have a problem.
    i never strike the edge.
    why do so many just thrash their cymbals?
    think of it as a delicate dance. they are just too damn expensive to beat the heck out of.

User Info Menu

DONT SAND THE EDGE OF YOUR CYMBALS !!!!!!!! just change the angle of them . dont you think that trying to change the height or angle would be better than sanding ???????????? if you say nothing has changed, try changing something before sanding ...
    Last edited by atomcorr2; 09-18-2011 at 09:58 AM.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    DONT SAND THE EDGE OF YOUR CYMBALS !!!!!!!! just change the angle of them . dont you think that trying to change the height or angle would be better than sanding ???????????? if you say nothing has changed, try changing something before sanding ...
    +1000

i think your striking is wrong
    change like tom said

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

this a joke right...

sanding cymbals ? ...now iv heard it all

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    +2000!!!!! Don't do it!!!!!!!

Angle the cymbal a little more, and watch out hitting the edge so much. Sticks have been built to last so its your fault for them cracking, cymbals are sharp, which is why a good technique saves your sticks!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Haven't looked at this thread for a while. Geez! How do you get from eliminating this problem by the obvious, using proper technique and cymbal position to sanding a damn cymbal. Holy smokes!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Why don't u guys try AHEAD steel alloy sticks. Lots of different sizes and only $10 for a replacement cover. I found them pretty good. I used to break 3-4 sticks a week now I haven't broken a stick in 4 weeks straight.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

...there's some folks hitting way too hard on here....try economy of movement....(and get economy of stick replacement budget)
    also Sanding + Cymbal = very bad idea

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    Why don't u guys try AHEAD steel alloy sticks. Lots of different sizes and only $10 for a replacement cover. I found them pretty good. I used to break 3-4 sticks a week now I haven't broken a stick in 4 weeks straight.
    no way im playing my drums with anything but wood sticks. even alloy.
    call me old fashioned

User Info Menu

Think of your sticks as little windows into your joints. Every action has a reaction and that's easily demonstrated by the kickback of a shotgun. If you're flying through gear, be it sticks, cymbals, heads, whatever, clearly the mechanics of what you're doing need to be reexamined, especially in this economy.

What I find interesting is that sanding, which is much more of a hassle, would seem more appealing than just turning a few wing bolts. Water usually follows the path of least resistance.

Oddly, this isn't the first time I've come across the idea of sanding cymbals. From Modern Drummer, November 2008 (p28):

Sanding Cymbals

I have a few jazz rides that are a bit too dry or heavy for my taste. I've heard of drummers sanding down their cymbals with sandpaper to thin them out and get them to open up a bit. Any thoughts on how this actually affects the sound? -Josh Giunta

We've heard of drummers having their cymbals lathed by skilled technicians to reduce the cymbals' weight, but we've honestly never heard of anyone taking a "do-it-yourself" approach with sandpaper. It would take a lot of sanding to remove enough of the bronze material to make a difference, and it's likely that such sanding would have to be done with the aid of power tools. Since these are generally rotational or "orbital" devices (that is: they sand in a circular pattern), the sanding would go "against the grain" of the cymbal's lathing grooves. This doesn't strike us as a good approach.
    Your best bet might be to see if you could find thinner, more lively ride cymbals that suit your taste, and then work out some sort of credit or swap for your current cymbals with the dealer or another drummer who has those cymbals.

I forget where or who I heard this from, but supposedly Steve Gadd would only show up to play with two pairs of sticks. That simplicity, and necessary stick control, is precisely what I want to emulate.

Don't get me wrong- you can still rock with the hardest of them- but doing so efficiently preserves your longevity for sessions, joint health, gear... the advantages far outweigh the passing novelty of a trail of wood chip destruction.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I lost this but found it again.Maybe this could become a sticky?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    no way im playing my drums with anything but wood sticks. even alloy.
    call me old fashioned
    Fair enough. I just prefer saving money on sticks.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    Actually, I heard something about this when I first started drumming. That it can ruin your joints if you use those. Too much vibration through the metal. I wouldn't use those any more.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    slight cymbal angles along with glancing blows you shouldnt have a problem.
    i never strike the edge.
    why do so many just thrash their cymbals?
    think of it as a delicate dance. they are just too damn expensive to beat the heck out of.
    I don't totally thrash my cymbals anymore and I get a better, less harsh tone which sounds better to my ears AND I lengthen the lives of my cymbals.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Stick chipping is unavoidable, they will eventually start to chip. The angle and proper striking technique will help a lot.

I suggest trying that first before sanding your cymbal edges.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Related subject, once my sticks get a bit chewed up, but still have plenty of life left in them, I feel the urge to sand down the sticks (not the cymbals!!!!), to get rid of all the splinters and what not.

If I give them a quick rub over with some sandpaper, is this going to shorten the life by removing more wood, or extend it, by taking away the frayed bits that will fray more?
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

I use heavier sticks. Right now I have 5B's but I used 6B's at my friends house and when I break my current pair (probably tomorrow by the looks of my last practice) I'm going to get 6B's. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the letter is the actual mass of stick, while the number is the length. Like I said try getting something heavier. I used to use 5A's and they would break every 2 weeks, I have 5B's and they last up to a month.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford