Thread: Cross-platform question

User Info Menu

Question Cross-platform question

Greetings! I'm new to this forum and still pretty new to drumming. I've been taking lessons for about a year and I'll describe them as percussion lessons rather than concentrating on any particular instrument (I own bongos, two djembes and a small darbuka I got from ebay for $10!). My question is for you folks who play more than one instrument (which sounds like most of you). Do you play only the style for a particular drum on that drum or do you mix it up? For example, for a djembe you would typically have bass, tone, and slap, and not a finger roll. How do you folks approach it?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cross-platform question

I play what I want. The authentic guys (often Latino or African) will preach that there's only one way but that's not really true. You can do anything you want to do. That's why you're seeing cajon's out there right now. It's basically a box with a hole. Think about it.

User Info Menu

I play what works for the music.

User Info Menu

for my Djembe playing i do mix it up...I like the sounds and rythyms I get with fingers around the edge..just experiment a little! as the others have said, its up to you. And by the way welcome to the chat! good to have you hear. don't forget to....
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback. That's my approach too, but I was curious. I think I'm learning good stuff, each lesson I feel like I've gotten better than the one before, and I'm having fun.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    12" Toca Synergy Vuur Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    8" X 14" Mid-East metal Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum
    ...and more to come, I hope...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumDame View Post
    I think I'm learning good stuff, each lesson I feel like I've gotten better than the one before, and I'm having fun.
    That's the most important thing right there - especially the fun part.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Drumdame....

Dats da reason we all started
    this crazy lil obsession we now call drums....
    Dont ever let da 'phun" leave yer soul...
    Its da most horrific & devastating thing
    that will ever happen to ya....

'tis a truism so states sir phrogge.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I play the drums (obviously) and the piano kinda...I also know how to play the glockenspiel
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Sir Phrogge (and all), thanks for your words of wisdom. Let the Church of Rhythm play on
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

Nice that someone raised this question and I do agree that certain hand drum techniques do transfer themselves over from one instrument to the other, to an extent. However, some you do need some specific technique and lessons to really get the handle of that percussion instrument. And it's not just the case of djembe vs. conga.....in the world of frame drumming, the tar (Middle Eastern frame drum) and the bodhran (the Irish frame drum played with a small stick or cipin) have two totally different techniques, yet essentially they're constructed the same way. Also, darbuka hand trills and dum bass notes, played with the right hand, will not help you with Indian tabla strokes...I'm just only starting to get my head around that drumming tradition, (Westerners and Indian students alike learn everything by rote, nothing is notated and you have to get your head around the Hindi language and it really is like learning all over again!..lol.)

And of course the same thing can go with the way you grip mallets with timpani vs. playing on a snare or kit, although timp grip is what I use sometimes for press rolls on a snare. I got that straight from a Billy Cobham instructional video, just got to keep working on it as hard as him!

But it is a valid point that you raised. I'd say you can mix various percussion techniques when necessary, such as being the one percussionist on a rock/pop gig, but if you're in say a Latin salsa band or doing doumbek on a Balkan wedding gig, learn the correct way so that you are authentic to that style.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 09-18-2011 at 05:12 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I would always strive to learn the proper technique for any instrument first. Then you can add your own style as you improve. To bang on a few congas is one thing, but to truely master your slap, heel/toe, bass, muffle, etc. is another thing. And by doing that you're opening up doors to amazing sounds you would otherwise never be able to achieve.

Are you going to play the Timba while playing congas for an acoustic rock set? No, but you have a foundation and you can play whatever you want, whenver you want. Making you a much more versatile percussionist, and much more valuable to the musicians around you.

User Info Menu

Thanks! I think one of the things I want to improve on is knowing which techniques go with which instruments. For example, I've done some work with heel/toe, but didn't realize at first that it is a conga technique. I know the basics of djembe, as I've been to a couple of workshops and do some work on my own in addition to my lessons. I think it does make sense to know what the "right" way is for an instrument, and then be free to play and have fun and mix and match.

When I started my lessons, my teacher asked me what my goal is. I said "Goal? I'm supposed to have a goal?" And then said I guess I wanted to be able to go to a drum circle and not make an *** of myself. So we started with some rudiments (my friends tell me I'm paradiddling when I'm not really thinking about it) and we just went from there.
    LP Bongos
    10" Remo Festival Djembe
    Finger Darbuka
    Meinl bongo snare cajon
    16" Remo Buffalo drum
    12" Meinl frame drum
    10" Remo frame drum

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC DrumDame.I agree the original technique is an important foundation.Ive seen Djembes played with a foot pedal,so for creation and inspiration the sky is the limit.Glad to hear you`re having lots of fun!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.