Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOOHOO!!! Mega-Score!!!!! - Dixon Artisan

User Info Menu

Default WOOHOO!!! Mega-Score!!!!! - Dixon Artisan

I just won the monthly Rhythm magazine (UK) competition, prize a Dixon Artisan snare in the extremely cool and funky Matrix Green finish!

Boy is this going to be an upgrade from my aged entry-level Pearl steel snare with the broken throw and bent snare wires!

I am one extremely happy drummer right now, can't wait to get it!!!!
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: WOOHOO!!! Mega-Score!!!!!

Awesome Opossum!!!!
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Congratulations TPO! That's a really nice looking snare! Since you noted that you won the Rhythm Magazine competition, what did you have to do?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Congratulations TPO! That's a really nice looking snare! Since you noted that you won the Rhythm Magazine competition, what did you have to do?
    It was just one of those simple multiple choice questions, I think it asked which of the four wasn't a range of Dixon drums, so a quick visit to the website furnished the answer. They have a similar competition every month, usually with a snare as the prize (although the latest one is an Octapad), and since it's free to enter online I always put my name in, nothing to lose eh?!

Funny thing is, of all the snares I've seen them offer over the last year, this was the one that really caught my eye as being an amazing looking thing that I'd love to own!
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    It was just one of those simple multiple choice questions, I think it asked which of the four wasn't a range of Dixon drums, so a quick visit to the website furnished the answer. They have a similar competition every month, usually with a snare as the prize (although the latest one is an Octapad), and since it's free to enter online I always put my name in, nothing to lose eh?!

Funny thing is, of all the snares I've seen them offer over the last year, this was the one that really caught my eye as being an amazing looking thing that I'd love to own!
    With what I have learned about you, I would say you deserved the win TPO. Maybe you're being smiled upon.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

TPO, thats fantastic, especially with your old snare being broken...what timming!! enjoy
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Man, that is super cool! WTG, TPO!!!

Congrats, bro!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Awesome TPO. That's a good looking snare!!! The wrap kinda reminds me of Lumagraff(spelling) wraps.
    Congrats. Let us know how it sounds.

User Info Menu

Sweet prize! Congratulations.

User Info Menu

Sweet!! I'd love to win something as cool as that. Be sure to post pics when you get it!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone, there will definitely be pics to prove it happened!

PB, thanks for you kind comments. I checked the magazine and that was the wrong question (from a previous month I think). To win this I had to answer 'which was the name of Keanu Reeves character in the Matrix a) Leo, b) Neo, c) Geo.'

From memory I didn't have to look this one up

For those who aren't familiar with the Dixon drums, if you google 'Dixon Artisan Snare Matrix' there should be a musicradar review (I'm assuming I can't post the link). This is their summary

---
    Pros

Jaw-dropping looks. Easy to tune. Well-focused sound.

Cons

A bit pricey. Standard snare throw-off.

Verdict

Considering Dixon's perceived low-end profile, this snare seems a little pricey. However, it's a capable drum that, considering its unforgiving shell composition, has enough finesse to handle the delicate dynamics of buzz rolls and subtle ghost notes. Drummers will love the open sound - sound engineers probably won't! This model may never become a 'classic' per se, but it could prove to be a good workhorse.
    ---

Interestingly, I think the prize one comes with the Dunnet throw off, which the reviewer noted was absent on the review model, hence the comment in cons.
    Last edited by TPO; 09-16-2011 at 12:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice win!. Gotta love a great new snare.
    HHMMMM!...FIRE BAAAADD!!

User Info Menu

Denied! I got the prize today and it's not the drum I thought it was! I had just tracked back from when they contacted me an assumed it was the competition that ended the previous month, but there appears to be a month delay in thier prize process, so it was the month before that. This was also a Dixon Artisan snare (hence my mistake), but not the mega-cool Matrix Green one I had my heart set on!

Of course it is still a brand new free snare drum, so I don't want to appear ungrateful! But I was really psyched about getting the cool one and while this is still a lovelly looking drum it's not got quite the same cachet for a Rock drummer such as myself. Anyway, enough self indulgent gift horse in the mouth looking, this is what I got!.

Dixon Artisan 14" x 5.5" Silky Oak snare. Shell is made from 100% silky oak with a natural finish. Zinc die-cast hoops, chrome hardware and 10 tube lugs. Comes with Evans G1 batter head and Evans hazy 300 snare side.

Pics to prove it happened!

This is the top of the drum, with the throw off at the top and the logo.

Close up of the Silky Oak finish. It's slightly less orange than these pics make out, the flash has washed it out a bit.

Underside which also shows the inside of the drum through the clear snare head.

I can't seem to find a review of this anywhere and it isn't even listed in the Dixon online catalogue! So I've no idea what kind of sound it's supposed to have. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, not that I know enough about drums to be able to describe it anyway. I'll be interested to see how it suits the Rock stuff I play as in my head I think of wooden drums as being more traditional or Jazzy. This may bear no relation to reality mind you, its just whats in my head!

I did find this promo video for it though, which should give some idea of the kind of sound it has.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmFhf9SWDus"]Dixon Drums: New Silky Oak Snare Drum - YouTube[/ame]

More feedback once I've been able to hit it for a while! I'm also going to swing by my tutor with it so I can report his impression as well, which will be a fair bit more educated than mine
    Last edited by TPO; 09-26-2011 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! I like this one better than the green one. Congrats man!

User Info Menu

Free is Free! still looks fantastic..and did I say Free?
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Free is Free! still looks fantastic..and did I say Free?
    Absolutely, I know I'm being stupid in being 'disapointed' in my free snare drum!

User Info Menu

Congrats TPO
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    wow! I like this one better than the green one. Congrats man!
    +1
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow! I like this one better than the green one. Congrats man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff5550 View Post
    +1
    +2

congrad brother

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

congrats

looks just like a brady (if you squint at a distance) dixon have stepped it up bigtime

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    congrats

looks just like a brady (if you squint at a distance) dixon have stepped it up bigtime
    Not a coincidence, Dixon has some Artisan drums that were designed by Chris Brady, who is apparently a personal friend of the owner of Dixon.

This isn't one of them, but it looks very similar and is made of an Australian wood, which the Brady designed one was as well. I suspect this is a new drum inspired by the previous Brady designed one but minus the name. Hard to say though as I can't find any press material at all on this!

That drum had a good review from music radar though, so I'm hoping this one is carrying the same heritage!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    Not a coincidence, Dixon has some Artisan drums that were designed by Chris Brady, who is apparently a personal friend of the owner of Dixon.

This isn't one of them, but it looks very similar and is made of an Australian wood, which the Brady designed one was as well. I suspect this is a new drum inspired by the previous Brady designed one but minus the name. Hard to say though as I can't find any press material at all on this!

That drum had a good review from music radar though, so I'm hoping this one is carrying the same heritage!
    Chris Brady Australia Rose Gum (dam you lucky boy)

http://intl.playdixon.com/Snares_det...ID=PDS9554CBRG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Chris Brady Australia Rose Gum (dam you lucky boy)

http://intl.playdixon.com/Snares_det...ID=PDS9554CBRG
    It looks very like that, but the wood is different (Silky Oak) and the badge isn't the same. It's also not branded Chris Brady. I'm pretty sure it's a close copy of that model though.

User Info Menu

^^^^^Dam

User Info Menu

Wow! you're so lucky on winning that! Congrats and I love the sound of the snare