Thread: Quick adjustments for adult vs 8-year-old?

User Info Menu

Default Quick adjustments for adult vs 8-year-old?

After two years of family Rock Band 2 sessions, and much discussion, my wife and I decided to get a real e-drum kit, based on the premise that my soon-to-be-8-year-old son loves drumming as much as I do, so we could get a kit as a joint present, for our birthdays which are both next week!

Everything I read (and that my two drummer friends told me) that Roland were the best, but the slippery slope started sloping pretty quickly as I discounted the HD-1 set as too small and unstable, didn't like the hard and noisy rubber pads on the TD-4K2, nearly settled on the TD-4KX2 with mesh pads, then realized that the TD-9K2 was "only" another $300 for the same "hittable parts" but a better brain and more expandable rack.

So today, I bit the bullet and ordered a TD-9K2 (with the free bass pedal and throne deal) from my local store (which of course had every model EXCEPT that one in stock, but promised they could get me one by Tuesday), and also picked up a Simmons DA200S amp from my not-quite-so-local Guitar Center.

So far, it's sounding far more like MY present than my son's, right. Yeah, I know... :(

Anyway, my one remaining concern is size. I am 6' and my son is 4'4", and my wife (should she ever decide to have a go too) splits the difference.

Does anyone have any sensible suggestions as to how we might avoid problems due to constantly having to adjust the set for our relative sizes?

Ideas we've had so far:

1) Keep the rack beams relatively low (as they're harder to change) and the drums and cymbals high (for me), as they are easier to lower (for him).

2) A refinement to the above being some kind of stops (Jubilee Clips or similar) around the drum/cymbal rods (?) to mark the two positions, so that we can quickly slide them to the stop at each end of the range.

3) A platform (wooden?) to go under the stand for the pedals to lift them up, instead of lowering everything else.

...or should I just hope that he decides he doesn't like drums after all, and I get to keep them all for myself?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick adjustments for adult vs 8-year-old?

Welcome to Drum Chat simoneves, and congratulations on the beginning of your drumming journey!

I'm no expert on the e-kits, but your idea of having stops, or even a bit of tape to mark the positions seems like a good idea, as that it common on acoustic setups. I would guess that a bit of repositioning might be a part of the norm for you though, especially if your wife gets in the act and need a third position. It will all be in good fun though, because a family that plays together...
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

No-brainer...
    One kit each (that's 3, including your good lady...).
    Maybe a 4th for guests, but that might be a tad over the top.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Keeping the rack beams low is a sensible idea when you have to adjust from one person's height to the other. If it's the model that I'm thinking of, you'll be able to extend a number of the arms (especially the cymbal boom arms to your taller height). You might find the top rack beam and it's corner clamps (the one with the two tom pads) should be relatively easy to adjust up and down with an Allen wrench or drum key provided. The tricky thing is the position of the rack arm that holds the snare pad. I teach with two electronic set-ups, and the one on my left (the students' one) is the one I can constantly adjust. Give me a bit of time later today, I'll provide some photos of that set at a variety of heights, it might give you an idea of how to set your rack up. Cheers.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

That would be great, thanks!

User Info Menu

Ok, here we go. The racks that I have are a couple of older model Alesis DM5 drum kit racks (think of an AU$500 electronic drumkit built around an AU$995 module at that time a couple of years ago). Of course, as you can see, I've changed quite a few things around on them, such as the addition of some Alesis SURGE cymbals, Power Beat cymbal arms, Gibraltar clamps and I recently added the Roland V-Drum snare and bass drum pads.

View of the rack and set adjusted for an adult-sized student.

Last edited by Drumbledore; 09-18-2011 at 02:52 PM.

User Info Menu

Continued

....and here is the same set, adjusted for my 7 and 8 year old junior students.

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for these! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but I forgot to set a watch on this thread. I haven't looked at them in detail, but will do so soon.

We've had our TD-9K2 (with a DA200S to go with it) for a week now, and we LOVE IT! Turns out that I'm not a terrible drummer, and my son is getting on fine with it too.

The main ergonomic problem is that the bass pedal is too far away, but he can still just about reach it, and otherwise all I've really had to do so far is tilt the snare down a bit. He can still reach everything else.

Of course, neither of those are probably great for his technique, but he's still in the over-excited stage where he's having more fun by turning the tempo on the practice songs up to 300 and wailing away randomly!

As an aside, I used the DA200S at a party last weekend to play iPod music, and it had absolutely no problem filling a 2,000sqft room with enough sound (and bass) to satisfy the crowd. Absolutely astounding for $269. Anyway...