Thread: Just ordered the Yamaha XP80 snare.

User Info Menu

Default Just ordered the Yamaha XP80 snare.

I'm so exited! I just ordered the XP80 snare off of eBay for $245 shipped. This is the last little piece to complete my rig. As some of you know, I have the DTX 500K. It's a great set and now with the three zone cymbals, extra Tom and splash, RH135 hi hat, and now the three zone snare, this is as close as I can get to an acoustic set. Can't wait!!! I will post a review when I get it set up.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Just ordered the Yamaha XP80 snare.

That's Awesome...let us know how you like it...I played one of the 10" TCS snares (XP100S) recently in GC...great feeling pad IMO...if I didn't have my DTXtreme RHP pads, I'd get these pads as well...

User Info Menu

Well, I got it mounted last night. A couple things came up... First, on the DTX500K, it can mount on the standard snare/tom mount but the head is rotated 90 degrees. On the DTX520K, there's a different mount for this snare on that rack. Second, it took me a while to get the volume up on this snare. I tried assigning different snare inputs and such with no luck. Finally, I changed it to LOUD setting and turned the input volume down. This did the trick.

The pad itself has GREAT bounce/action and is very dynamic. The 3 zones do there thing well although once I figure out the mount, they will rotate 90 degrees and be in their proper place. So far, I'm really impressed with this upgrade. BTW, I did use my extra tom pad and pie cymbal. So now I've got 4 toms, two 3 zone cymbals, and a pie for a splash or china.

To date, I paid $680 for the DTX500K set, $41 for the used PCY135 from ebay, $300 for the RHH135 hi hat and stand package, $165 for the new PCY135 w/stand, and $245 for the XP80S totaling just over $1400. VERY VERY happy with my rig now.

User Info Menu

I have the DTX520K set. It's about a month old and I've already replaced the XP80 snare pad with the XP100SD.
    Didn't need to make any additional setting adjustments nor did I have to change out the hardware.
    In the future I may purchase a small snare stand so I can use the XP80 & mount with my other pads.

User Info Menu

I have the DTX 900 and it's the best byuing decision I ever made. That said - head over to the DTX-forums and read some about the pad cracking issues that may or may nt arise with these pads. Since the heads are not exchangeable, it might be a drag to experience that. But it really takes a lot if they are to deteriorate.
    http://www.drumscometrue.com
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Yamaha DTX900, Zildjian A-Custom, Gibraltar and Pearl Hardware, XPS 8100,
    FATAR VMK-61, Mc Callum Bagpipes, Roland FC-300, Roland R-26, SP B1, Edirol FA-101, ESI nEar05,
    AKG240S, Audio Technica ATHM50, SONAR X1, SDX 2.3, AD 1.5, OWD, SSD 3.5...