Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane's Covers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shane's Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    The lyrics are definitely a metaphor. To "wash in someone's old bath water" means to accept your partner's/lover's/wife's/husband's/significant other's faults. In a literal sense, ya, that's gross. But I digress.

Loving those vid's Shane! Good stuff!!
    Thanks Mark!

I have unlimited access to the auditorium and band room at the school where I teach for the entire summer, so I've moved my video operation there. The previous video was done in the auditorium, as was the Pink song below. I went to the band room for the Bon Jovi cover. I've been so busy recording that I am just now catching up on video processing.

Pink - So What

Bon Jovi - Bad Medicine

I have played, but still not processed:
    No Doubt - Hey Baby
    Pink - Get This Party Started
    Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son
    Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know

I'm going to attempt to play Jump (Van Halen) tonight and will see how that goes.

User Info Menu

Shane, do you use Audacity or something else? I can't get Audacity to work for me at all.

Larrysperf Guest

Just watched some covers you have on here Very cool Enjoyed them
    But do think you would have no problems with some Rush Or Zep. Just MHO/ Thanks for sharing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Shane, do you use Audacity or something else? I can't get Audacity to work for me at all.
    The program I use for most of my audio work is Cool Edit Pro. It's a 2002ish workhorse program that was widely used when I worked for Clear Channel Radio. I ended up with a copy when they fired me.

I also have Adobe Soundbooth, which is easier to use but with less control of details.

I have installed Audacity, but not used it much yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Just watched some covers you have on here Very cool Enjoyed them
    But do think you would have no problems with some Rush Or Zep. Just MHO/ Thanks for sharing
    I think I have the dexterity to play about any Rush drum part, but the demanding arrangements have scared me off of covering any so far. I do 5-10 takes of an easy classic rock song before I do one mistake free. I can see that being many more with a Rush tune. I just don't have the energy to try one honestly.

Led Zep on the the other hand is something I'll get to as soon as I can find a decent drumless track to play with. I can only come up with instrumental or cover vocal tracks so far.

User Info Menu

Shane, have you ever done "Black Betty" by Ram Jam? That's another one I've always had problems getting it right....I can fake my way through it...........but watching you always clears it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Thanks! I actually saw Iron Maiden live when I was in high school. It's been quite a while since I listened to them, but I'll see if that's one I think I could pull off if I even have the file somewhere.

In the mean time, here's another Beatles classic. I actually recorded this one a year and a half ago, but the feel sounded all wrong when I listened back later, so I scrapped it. This time around came out much better.

The Beatles - Revolution

Yeah, used to this song in a covers band years back Shane, and I know what you mean, feel is everything with this....at our first few times playing it on gigs I would just balls it up until I learned to relax. In fact I use this song still when teaching my students the importance of being relaxed when playing shuffles as well as to not overplay, sometimes what you don't play is as important as what you do play.

I still say this is one of my top ten threads of all time on Drum Chat, it's an incredible body of work you've put on here. A real inspiration.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Shane, have you ever done "Black Betty" by Ram Jam? That's another one I've always had problems getting it right....I can fake my way through it...........but watching you always clears it up.
    Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been busy recording more videos and writing marching band parts.

I took a serious listen to "Black Betty", and as much as it hurts my ego to admit this, I'm afraid I have to pass on that one. There doesn't seem to be any specific part that I couldn't pull off, but all together I think it would take longer than I could spend on it. If it was all the same tempo throughout, I'd give it a stab, but the different speeds means I would need to make a click track incorporating that. Between that and transcribing all the solo stuff, I would be spending several hours on it before even rolling cameras. So sorry my friend. If there are any others off that list you want to hear, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Yeah, used to this song in a covers band years back Shane, and I know what you mean, feel is everything with this....at our first few times playing it on gigs I would just balls it up until I learned to relax. In fact I use this song still when teaching my students the importance of being relaxed when playing shuffles as well as to not overplay, sometimes what you don't play is as important as what you do play.

I still say this is one of my top ten threads of all time on Drum Chat, it's an incredible body of work you've put on here. A real inspiration.
    Thanks a ton! I am very happy with the diversity of tunes I have been able to pull off. The fact that you and others are entertained and inspired makes the many hours of time spent well worth it.

I've still got several waiting to edit and many more in the planning stages:

Played already:
    Carry On Wayward Son (Kansas)
    Get This Party Started (Pink)
    Somebody That I Used To Know (Gotye)
    What I Got (Sublime)
    Dr. Feelgood (Motley Crue)
    Godzilla (Blue Oyster Cult)

Thinking about:
    Piano Man (Billy Joel)
    Still Rock & Roll To Me (Billy Joel)
    Pain (3 Days Grace)
    Dirty Little Secret (All American Rejects)
    Get Up, Stand Up (Bob Marley) - not sure I'm ready to be crucified by the youtubers for bad reggae feel quite yet .

Stay Tuned...

User Info Menu

I forgot to post this one from a couple of days ago - more No Doubt fun. I think this is one of my best so far playing and video editing-wise.

No Doubt - Hey Baby

User Info Menu

I must confess that I had been scared to do this next one. There weren't any parts that I couldn't handle, but the arrangement was a bit complicated and it's played so much that all the parts are very well know. It turned out to be easier that I thought. There is one part around 4:30 that is technically still in 12/8, but the feel changes to 13/8, then 11/8 for 8 measures. That was slightly tricky to line up with no click, but I managed.

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

User Info Menu

Shane..you've covered so many tunes, I don't see how you may have been scared to do it at all. I used to play that Kansas tune in the 80's. Great job! You made it look easy too.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-05-2013 at 06:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Shane..you've covered so many tunes, I don't see how you may have been scared to do it at all. I used to play that Kansas tune in the 80's. Great job! You made it look easy too.
    Thanks! I ended up having fun with it once I mapped it all out and realized it wasn't so bad.

I'll come clean here...about 1 in every 10 I try is a total fail. I either can't pull off some critical part, can't stay with the drumless track (more common when there is a ton of electric guitar and the bass is down in the mix), or I get all the way through, then scrap it when I listen to the mixdown because I never got the feel right. That just recently happened with "Jump" (Van Halen). The track pushes and pulls tempo-wise, and there is a really weird snare/kick/ride bell part in the guitar solo that I could not come up with. That's rough when I spend several hours in prep and then come home empty handed.

On the other hand, many of these covers were almost painfully easy. When there is a hip-hop type drum loop that stays consistent, I can play around with it a bit and get the whole thing done an hour after first listen. I also have it easy when I happen to find a tune I have or am currently playing with a band.

No complaints in the end, however. This takes a serious amount of my free time, but I'm single and have plenty of it. It also forces to me to actually practice, which hopefully leads to improvement.

Thanks to all for watching!

User Info Menu

This song was a bit overplayed when it was at the height of its popularity, but it is a very cool tune nonetheless. Unfortunately a couple of my camera angles were a bit off, but this still turned out pretty good I think.

Gotye - Somebody That I Used To Know

User Info Menu

The most famous cowbell part in recorded music history. (It does not in any way involve Christopher Walken or Will Ferrell ). I broke out the timbales and Pearl El Negro cowbell for this one, which was all kinds of fun.

I learned that the singer/writer of this tune was the band's saxophone player and he was the victim of an unsolved murder in the 80s. Horrible.

War - Low Rider

User Info Menu

The most famous cowbell part in recorded music history. (It does not in any way involve Christopher Walken or Will Ferrell ). I broke out the timbales and Pearl El Negro cowbell for this one, which was all kinds of fun.

I learned that the singer/writer of this tune was the band's saxophone player and he was the victim of an unsolved murder in the 80s. Horrible.

War - Low Rider

Wow, that was the coolest one man cover I've seen you do yet! Awesome work! I love the bass line of that War tune also which somewhat gets muffled out or is different? in other versions I've heard. Also reminds me of a Cheech & Chong movie...lol.

What's even more impressive, are your vids over the past couple/few years have been like a diary of your talent progression. Wish I did something like that. Really great!
    Saxplayer murder story:
    Last edited by Olimpass; 07-14-2013 at 10:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Wow, that was the coolest one man cover I've seen you do yet! Awesome work! I love the bass line of that War tune also which somewhat gets muffled out or is different? in other versions I've heard. Also reminds me of a Cheech & Chong movie...lol.

What's even more impressive, are your vids over the past couple/few years have been like a diary of your talent progression. Wish I did something like that. Really great!
    Saxplayer murder story:

When I was a young'un, we used to wait until our folks went to work and secretly catch Cheech and Chong on HBO. Low-brow humor at it finest. I still love those old flicks.

Thanks for the kind words! About 3 years ago, I was convinced that I was just not going to get any better, and that I'd probably peaked playing-wise. That has held true as far as my raw chops go. I cannot pull off any longer some of the crazy licks I could when I marched drum corps. My speed has also suffered since then. What has improved, I think, is my overall timing. Making all these videos has helped me be comfortable playing along to pre-recorded stuff, and kept me from rushing just about everything, which has been an issue for me. My "bag of tricks" that I use for fill ideas has also become much larger. Overall, I'm happy where I have landed with my playing.

While I'm here...

Sublime - What I Got

My band picked this one up, so I had already learned it. Shooting the vid was pretty quick.

User Info Menu

I'll come clean here...about 1 in every 10 I try is a total fail. I either can't pull off some critical part, can't stay with the drumless track (more common when there is a ton of electric guitar and the bass is down in the mix), or I get all the way through, then scrap it when I listen to the mixdown because I never got the feel right. That just recently happened with "Jump" (Van Halen). The track pushes and pulls tempo-wise, and there is a really weird snare/kick/ride bell part in the guitar solo that I could not come up with. That's rough when I spend several hours in prep and then come home empty handed.
    Oh man, I know exactly what you mean about that tricky snare/kick/ride part in "Jump".....I remember one covers band I was in when I was in my mid to late 20's.....our keyboardist was always on my back about trying to nail that (and he was such a stickler for details) hat I had to say to him at one time "Geez man, why don't you just get on my kit and damn well do it yourself?" out of sheer frustration, whereas everyone else were pretty much okay with my take on that middle part. Mind you, I'm still friends with him till this day (we're not ones to let minor differences like that get in way of a good friendship)...it was just that day we were pretty much stepping on each others toes, that's for sure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Oh man, I know exactly what you mean about that tricky snare/kick/ride part in "Jump".....I remember one covers band I was in when I was in my mid to late 20's.....our keyboardist was always on my back about trying to nail that (and he was such a stickler for details) hat I had to say to him at one time "Geez man, why don't you just get on my kit and damn well do it yourself?" out of sheer frustration, whereas everyone else were pretty much okay with my take on that middle part. Mind you, I'm still friends with him till this day (we're not ones to let minor differences like that get in way of a good friendship)...it was just that day we were pretty much stepping on each others toes, that's for sure!
    Great story! The actual part isn't even all that hard, it was just getting into it right in the middle of the song that I had problems with. I could play it all when isolated, but when I was in the middle of the song I just blanked out.

I'm usually the one in my current band complaining to the guitarists about not playing the right parts, which they don't usually take well. Sometimes things just need to be totally accurate to make the song work, and other times fudging it works just fine. If my band was doing Jump, I'd get as close as I could and be done with it. With a video, I feel like if I have to compromise too much, I'd rather skip it and move on.

Thanks for watching my friend.

User Info Menu

Does anyone else think there's nothing that Shane can't play?
    Last edited by Penguin; 07-22-2013 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Sorry it took so long to reply, I have been busy recording more videos and writing marching band parts.

I took a serious listen to "Black Betty", and as much as it hurts my ego to admit this, I'm afraid I have to pass on that one. There doesn't seem to be any specific part that I couldn't pull off, but all together I think it would take longer than I could spend on it. If it was all the same tempo throughout, I'd give it a stab, but the different speeds means I would need to make a click track incorporating that. Between that and transcribing all the solo stuff, I would be spending several hours on it before even rolling cameras. So sorry my friend. If there are any others off that list you want to hear, please let me know.

Thanks a ton! I am very happy with the diversity of tunes I have been able to pull off. The fact that you and others are entertained and inspired makes the many hours of time spent well worth it.
    Shane, I understand..................I've always had issues with it, but it sure is a great tune.

I feel the same way.....................it doesn't seem that any of the parts are that difficult.............just putting it together and flowing correctly has always been hard.

Thanks! I ended up having fun with it once I mapped it all out and realized it wasn't so bad.

On the other hand, many of these covers were almost painfully easy. When there is a hip-hop type drum loop that stays consistent, I can play around with it a bit and get the whole thing done an hour after first listen. I also have it easy when I happen to find a tune I have or am currently playing with a band.

No complaints in the end, however. This takes a serious amount of my free time, but I'm single and have plenty of it. It also forces to me to actually practice, which hopefully leads to improvement.

Thanks to all for watching!
    You do great on these vids Shane...............definitely inspire me to play songs I haven't tried for awhile. Some songs, over the years, I kind of bluffed my way through, never sitting down and learning them properly........Some of the subtleties in songs I've missed......now I'm going back and revisiting songs and learning them correctly............your vids and other covers on Youtube have sure helped. Thanks

User Info Menu

I remember struggling playing that part in Jump as well when it came out. I was 16 at the time, and a decent drummer, but the timing of that part with the rest of the band always threw me off.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I'm thinking some of these would be a great addition to Shane's drums...

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Those look cool. I wonder if I could just float some around inside my mounted toms. I must check to see what they are made of. I'm kicking around the idea of getting 2 LED cans and lighting from beneath. I saw that in a bar a few weeks ago and it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Shane, I understand..................I've always had issues with it, but it sure is a great tune.

I feel the same way.....................it doesn't seem that any of the parts are that difficult.............just putting it together and flowing correctly has always been hard.

You do great on these vids Shane...............definitely inspire me to play songs I haven't tried for awhile. Some songs, over the years, I kind of bluffed my way through, never sitting down and learning them properly........Some of the subtleties in songs I've missed......now I'm going back and revisiting songs and learning them correctly............your vids and other covers on Youtube have sure helped. Thanks
    Thank you! Since we all know getting paid is not a valid reason to spend time making youtube videos, inspiring others and helping them learn parts has been my motivation. It's nice to hear when it's validated.

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I remember struggling playing that part in Jump as well when it came out. I was 16 at the time, and a decent drummer, but the timing of that part with the rest of the band always threw me off.
    I'm going to revisit that one at some point. If all else fails, I'll do it in 2 different takes. I hate to do that, and I never have before this, but I transcribed the darn thing and a wasted hour nags at me.

Anyway - stay tuned for many more to come. Off the top of my head, I think I have these yet to edit:

Godzilla, Dirty Little Secret, Dr. Feelgood, Ghostbusters, How You Remind Me, Sir Duke, Since U Been Gone, and Pain.

I'm not at all a country fan, but in the spirit of staying versatile, I'm looking into doing a few.
    Last edited by Redeye; 07-25-2013 at 07:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I'm thinking some of these would be a great addition to Shane's drums...

******://dubdubdub.thinkgeek.blah/product/f25e***

Hey Penguin, you should really remove the thinkgeek link. It's against forum rules.

And to answer your question, I think Shane is awesome!

And Shane, I noticed you quoted Penguin as well with that link. I think you should remove it brother.

Man, I am really behind on watching your vids. Time to catch up!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I'm not at all a country fan, but in the spirit of staying versatile, I'm looking into doing a few.
    Should try "I'm So Happy That I Can't Stop Crying" from Sting's album "Mercury Falling". Perhaps include a split-screen shot of brushes on a snare for the train-beat overdub that's in the bridge? Also, it'd show viewers that Vinnie Colauita's approach isn't just busting out complex chops that we know him to do....but I'm sure you'd know that already mate.

User Info Menu

You are still "DA MAN" Shane.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Hey Penguin, you should really remove the thinkgeek link. It's against forum rules.

And to answer your question, I think Shane is awesome!

And Shane, I noticed you quoted Penguin as well with that link. I think you should remove it brother.

Man, I am really behind on watching your vids. Time to catch up!
    Done! Thanks for the heads up Mark.