Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane's Covers

User Info Menu

Default Shane's Covers

Having played all the Groove Essentials I could handle, I have decided to get into some more popular tunes. Rock Band and Guitar Hero are a great source for drumless tracks. Just go into practice mode and record the audio track without playing anything. I set the cameras to 3 songs this evening, First up is Paramore's "Crush Crush Crush". This is my current singer's favorite song to perform, so I had some experience with it beforehand.

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Shane's Covers

always a pleasure to watch you play Shane. Look forward to the next installment
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Great playing as usual. but I miss the office setting.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbkk View Post
    always a pleasure to watch you play Shane. Look forward to the next installment
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    Great playing as usual. but I miss the office setting.
    Me too. It's sounds awesome in there, but involves me packing up all my gear and re-setting it up. I think next weekend I may try out the auditorium at the high school where I teach. We also have a secondary band room that was an old lecture-room style tiered study hall. There are a lot of cool rooms I think I could make use of.

An now...

The Gorillaz - "Clint Eastwood". I love this tune. It's catchy as all heck and the video is cool anime. (Not mine, the original.)
    I drag a bit at the beginning and push a bit at the end, but it's livable.

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 04:59 PM.

User Info Menu

My new singer turned me onto "The Civil Wars". It's a m/f duo with him playing guitar. This is the only upbeat tune they have, but boy is it sweet.

Barton Hollow

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome man drums sound great
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

thats certainly a totally different kind of groove - and an interesting one. Have you tried drumming to any Otis Taylor?
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    Awesome man drums sound great
    Thanks. The room helps a lot. It probably 30x50, 9 foot ceiling, carpeted, and full of random quilting items.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbkk View Post
    thats certainly a totally different kind of groove - and an interesting one. Have you tried drumming to any Otis Taylor?
    I love a huge tribal sounding tom jam. I have listened to any Otis Taylor, but I will investigate at my earliest opportunity.

User Info Menu

"Licenced to Ill" by the Beasty Boys had a bunch of great tunes. Here's one - No Sleep 'Till Brooklyn.

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Awesome as always Shane! Love the overhead cam shots.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

what cameras are you using shane?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Awesome as always Shane! Love the overhead cam shots.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    what cameras are you using shane?
    The overhead is my Panasonic Lumix digicam. The over-the-shoulder is a Flip UltraHD. I've been trying to find another Flip as they are discontinued and only 80 bucks right now. My only problem is that they are different aspect ratios and that kind of screws up the over video size.

User Info Menu

I posted these in another thread, but I wanted to keep all my covers together, so please excuse if you have already seen these. Plus it's more Beasties, so you can't go wrong there.

So What'cha Want

Paul Revere

Paul Revere was actually really hard to line up. The rhythm track is a drum set part with the sounds reversed, so I had to try to line up my playing with the very back of the beat, which is normally easy, but gave me trouble here. I think there is a drumless version of Sabotage out there, as I've seen a bunch of covers, so I'll try to find that one. "Rhymin' and Stealin'" is the one I really, really want to find. It uses a sample of "When the Levee Breaks". If anyone comes across a drumless version of that, please let me know.

Next up will be Korn's "Freak on a Leash".
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I always enjoy hearing you play Shane. I remember when this thread first appeared, but I was very busy at the time and just couldn't take time to listen - then I forgot about it. Glad I saw it again today, and had time for a listen. It was definitely worth it! I like the overhead shots, too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I always enjoy hearing you play Shane. I remember when this thread first appeared, but I was very busy at the time and just couldn't take time to listen - then I forgot about it. Glad I saw it again today, and had time for a listen. It was definitely worth it! I like the overhead shots, too.
    Thanks PB! I have found that most of the covers I have done and that are on my list to do have required me to play way more aggressively that I have been in the past. It's helping to get me out of my comfort zone for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Thanks PB! I have found that most of the covers I have done and that are on my list to do have required me to play way more aggressively that I have been in the past. It's helping to get me out of my comfort zone for sure.
    I understand Shane. I have evaluated my own playing, and I have realized that I play rather timidly (now that you would use the word "timid' to describe your own playing). I need to pump it up a bit myself.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I understand Shane. I have evaluated my own playing, and I have realized that I play rather timidly (not that you would use the word "timid' to describe your own playing). I need to pump it up a bit myself.
    "Reserved" is how I would have described myself about a year ago. I also spent most of my stage time with acoustic guitar and piano. It was difficult to have any intensity at such a low volume. I'm amazed at what video footage can do to help.

edit: Straightened out a typo Shane. Didn't want it to sound insulting in any way. What a difference a "w" instead of a "t" makes. My bad dude! - PB

User Info Menu

I got a couple more in this weekend. First up is Korn's "Freak On A Leash." Korn stuff is definitely on the weird side most of the time, but super fun to play. I would love to find "Coming Undone" or "Thoughtless" minus drum tracks, but this is the only one I can come up with.

Freak On A Leash

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:06 PM.

User Info Menu

I got around to recording a few more. First is No Doubt's "Don't Speak." I must admit to thinking Gwen Stefani to be the hottest woman walking the planet when this song came out in 1995. My band covers "Just a Girl," one of their other hits, and I am trying to convince them to do this one. The video should help.

Don't Speak

I also did a couple of Tom Waits tunes which I hope to process over the weekend. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing, Shane. Great work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Thanks for sharing, Shane. Great work.
    Thank you sir!

Here is one of the Tom Waits tunes I played to, "Big in Japan." If you are not familiar with him, Tom Waits has some very strange sounding songs judged by conventional means. I love his stuff, but it may take a while to get used to for some.

Big in Japan

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.

User Info Menu

I was in high school when this song came out. I remember it being the most infectious guitar riff I had ever heard. Something about the slow part just makes you have to move your head.

Note to mods - this is the PG version that you can play on Rock Band

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Thank you sir!

Here is one of the Tom Waits tunes I played to, "Big in Japan." If you are not familiar with him, Tom Waits has some very strange sounding songs judged by conventional means. I love his stuff, but it may take a while to get used to for some.

Big in Japan

Tom Waits - Big in Japan Drum Cover - YouTube
    Oh, gotta love Tom Waits! Was it Michael Blair that recorded this song for him originally? Also, ever heard of Gavin Friday? He did this great album, "Each Man Kills The Thing He Loves", (recorded under Gavin Friday And The Man Seezer). I'm sure that's Michael Blair on it too, on a few tracks. You should check it out, if you're into Tom Waits.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Oh, gotta love Tom Waits! Was it Michael Blair that recorded this song for him originally? Also, ever heard of Gavin Friday? He did this great album, "Each Man Kills The Thing He Loves", (recorded under Gavin Friday And The Man Seezer). I'm sure that's Michael Blair on it too, on a few tracks. You should check it out, if you're into Tom Waits.
    That tune was actually recorded by "Brain" Mantia, who was with Primus at the time. I believe Les Claypool and Tom live in the same neighborhood. Brain ended up doing most of the "Real Gone" album as well. It looks like Michael Blair did most of his stuff prior to this. I will have too look up the Gavin Friday stuff. Thanks for the turn-on.

Next up for me is some old-school Metallica. I recorded the bass solo part of Orion, but haven't processed that yet as the next couple are were way more interesting. Here is one of my favorites from Master of Puppets (greatest metal album of all time, IMO), The Thing That Should Not Be. For some reason I was way on the back of the beat during the into, but I get on top of it when the crunchy guitar kicks in. Also check out my once in a million stick drop and catch around 5:40 (if you last that long ).

Metallica - The Thing That Should Not Be

Last night I recorded one of the heaviest of them all, Sad But True. I'll process that tonight, I also have another Tom Waits tune in the can and some Pink Floyd coming up. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:08 PM.

User Info Menu

This is a fun one, Metallica's "Sad But True". I didn't realize that what I thought was a straight triplet on the words "you know it's..." is actually totally out of time. The nearest I can tell after listening to it dozens of times is that there are 3 8th notes in the space of 5 16th. You see 5 notes in the space of 3 often in drum corps level marching music, but 3 over 5 is fairly rare. Anyway, I ended up just playing it by feel.

Sad But True

Last edited by Redeye; 02-27-2012 at 05:09 PM.