Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like Button?

User Info Menu

Default Like Button?

I know FB is driven by "likes" and DC is nothing like FB. But there are times I read a post usually by someone replying to a post and "like" or agree with what the person posted. Yet I feel uncomfortable posting just to say "Uh huh, yep I agree" and even still I wonder how many other members have read it and agree also but haven't made a post just to agree.

Wouldn't it be neat to have a like button for posts just to see who all agrees?

I also understand the format for the forum is powered by vbulletin and they probably don't have that option.

Just food for thought.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Like Button?

What a novel idea. I know that many people on here follow-up with a reply, "+1". It's sort of the same thing. They sometimes have add-ons for forums. I'll ask admin about it.

User Info Menu

I thought that was what "+1" was for.

I used to think Facebook was a mine for info diggers,but after reading about Scisicent and everything the government knows about us,I guess thats the least of my worries.In no time at all they can know everything about anyone unless you have been born and stranded on an island all your life.Just RFID everyone and you will know who they are and where they are too,which is great if you want them to come to your gig!We must be at about the fourth Seal...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

dave0549jv Guest

+1

User Info Menu

tah821 likes this.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

MrB and 4 others liked this.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    What a novel idea. I know that many people on here follow-up with a reply, "+1". It's sort of the same thing. They sometimes have add-ons for forums. I'll ask admin about it.
    Beat me by ten minutes.+1!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

I was about to make a thread similar to this. I think a 'thanks' button might be highly effective in reducing the number of unnecessary '+1' posts. I've seen the thanks button implemented at another site with fantastic results. The way it was set up was you could use it on a post you find constructive or helpful, without the need to use a post to reply. You still could reply if you'd like to add something more, but if it was for a basic 'thanks for that' kind of thing, you just click the button. The 'like' thing is more of something you'd see on a social networking site like facebook, and I think if it was used in that form it might turn drumchat into another social networking site.

I mean what's next? Liking people's updates? It all goes downhill from there, i'd much rather see information and conversation tossed around in a professional way. Besides, if you've ever spent a good amount of time browsing fb- you'll notice how many people abuse the like button. How would you stop the same thing from happening here? Warn every single post that was mis-liked? It will reduce un-needed post counts, but it has the potential to go south. Whether it's a thanks or like button, each would require a degree of moderation and watching closely, which could make the admin/moderators job even harder than it already is for them.
    Last edited by Russ; 09-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The 'like' thing is more of something you'd see on a social networking site like facebook, and I think if it was used in that form it might turn drumchat into another social networking site.
    Drum Chat is a social networking website. That's what forums are.

I mean what's next? Liking people's updates?
    What's wrong with that?

It all goes downhill from there...
    Downhill? I don't see a +1 as going down hill. If that were the case than Facebook and Google both are going downhill.

Besides, if you've ever spent a good amount of time browsing fb- you'll notice how many people abuse the like button. How would you stop the same thing from happening here?
    I don't see it as abuse.

Whether it's a thanks or like button, each would require a degree of moderation and watching closely, which could make the admin/moderators job even harder than it already is for them.
    Respectfully, I disagree. I just don't think it's that big of a deal.

User Info Menu

Many other forums have a reputation thing that can be clicked if you either like or dislike a post - it's a pretty common feature with many forum softwares and it's likely an option in this software package as well.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Respectfully, I disagree. I just don't think it's that big of a deal.
    Respectfully I don't see how a cut and dry option such as like, agree, yes, or thanks would require any moderation as long as the only way of making a selection is to be logged in and you are only allowed one per post. One like/agree per person per post.

It wouldn't matter to me if it showed who clicked the like/agree button or whether it just showed how many people like/agree with the post.

User Info Menu

Another interesting idea would be to have a poll to see how many members would like the option.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stuperprohero View Post
    Another interesting idea would be to have a poll to see how many members would like the option.

User Info Menu

Respectfully I don't see how a cut and dry option such as like, agree, yes, or thanks would require any moderation as long as the only way of making a selection is to be logged in and you are only allowed one per post. One like/agree per person per post.

It wouldn't matter to me if it showed who clicked the like/agree button or whether it just showed how many people like/agree with the post.
    Stup, you misread my post. In stating, "I don't think it's any big deal", I meant that I thought Russ was making a big deal out of the reasons not to have one (sorry Russ). I was saying, I don't think it's that big of a deal, meaning I think it would be perfectly fine didn't think it would require extra moderation.

User Info Menu

Sounds good. Not sure of the possibilities of implementation though. I'm not the admin and I'm not sure what's available to them. But someone throw up a poll and we'll get popular opinion first. If everyone wants it, I'll pitch it to them.

User Info Menu

Personally, I think the idea is kinda cool.
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, this is just expanding your options.
    You don't even need to click the "like" button if drumchat gets one, it's all up to you.
    I say present it to Mr. Admin, and we should all do a poll on the front page or something and see if everyone likes that idea.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Stup, you misread my post. In stating, "I don't think it's any big deal", I meant that I thought Russ was making a big deal out of the reasons not to have one (sorry Russ). I was saying, I don't think it's that big of a deal, meaning I think it would be perfectly fine didn't think it would require extra moderation.
    Sorry Tom I meant to quote you and then put a "+1" Lol, I was agreeing with what you said.

I wonder which area would be best for such a poll?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Drum Chat is a social networking website. That's what forums are.

Downhill? I don't see a +1 as going down hill. If that were the case than Facebook and Google both are going downhill.
    I have never thought of internet forums as a social networking site. More of a discussion board for important information to be passed along and exchanged, than something like myspace or facebook for making friends and passing along info like an online journal of sorts. It might start to look like facebook, and if it does, what's to keep members from leaving here and going there instead?
    Last edited by Russ; 10-01-2011 at 12:47 PM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

A like button would be very handy. And it won't make me post any less in discussion threads. It will avoid threads of + 1 etc. Has anyone started a pole thread on this?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Sorry Tom I meant to quote you and then put a "+1" Lol, I was agreeing with what you said.

I wonder which area would be best for such a poll?
    I would vote the home page right above the shoutbox of the forum, that way all the member's will see it and be able to voice their opinions on this matter.
    If we put it up as a thread, everyone may not see it.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

i know fb is driven by "likes" and dc is nothing like fb. But there are times i read a post usually by someone replying to a post and "like" or agree with what the person posted. Yet i feel uncomfortable posting just to say "uh huh, yep i agree" and even still i wonder how many other members have read it and agree also but haven't made a post just to agree.

Wouldn't it be neat to have a like button for posts just to see who all agrees?

I also understand the format for the forum is powered by vbulletin and they probably don't have that option.

Just food for thought.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I would vote the home page right above the shoutbox of the forum, that way all the member's will see it and be able to voice their opinions on this matter.
    My guess is it would have to be in a thread. But which section would get the most view? General Drum Chat maybe?

User Info Menu

My guess is it would have to be in a thread. But which section would get the most view? General Drum Chat maybe?
    The DRUM SET section seems to be getting a lot of attention most of the time. Mainly because it's the very first Sub-forum. It would have to be a eye catching topic title to attract everyone to it though. I admit that I don't always go to the DRUM SET section when I'm on here (most of the time I do though), but if it's labeled as something important I would visit it.

Another idea I just though of was to send out a mass PM to every member.
    Or just plain old change it without making it a big deal. If someone doesn't like the change they're bound to post a topic or something about how much they loathe "the button" lol.

Just a thought.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    The OP(stuperprohero) should just edit in a poll into this thread to save space and hassle.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I dont care if it begins to have resemblances to other websites, i mean really, who cares if it looks similar to something else. But i personally don't think it would suit DC very well. I dunno, just kinda sounds like it would clash a bit with the type of feeling i get from this place.