Thread: Kick drum mic'ing help please ..

User Info Menu

Default Kick drum mic'ing help please ..

I need to know the frequency of the sound of my kick drum to properly mic it. (bass low end and mallet sound on the head)

I have a FS (birch)series PDP 22" kick with a Remo Powerstroke PRO coated head..

I'm looking at the Shure B52 or the AKG d112, any help on this subject would help me greatly.

Have a nice day

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick drum mic'ing help please ..

A lot of it depends on the sound you are looking for, but there are about 4 mics that are kind of the "standard" when it comes to miking a bass drum:

AKG D112
    Shure Beta 52
    Audix D6
    ElectroVoice RE20 (little bit spendy - used in studios a lot from what I gather)

A couple of other mics to mention that are less spendy than the mics above

MXL A55 Kicker - this mic reviews VERY well
    ElectroVoice PL33 - this mic also reviews really well

Regarding the frequency of your kick mic, I think as long as you get a mic that is designed for that purpose (not including the RE20, which is designed as a broadcast mic) then it really doesn't matter that much. A lot of it is going to depend on the sound you want to get too.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feed back, my guitarist and I are novices trying to get the best sound we can with out having to mix too much .

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WRuAUWWt7I"]Bass Drum Microphone Shootout & Comparison - Kick Drum Mic - YouTube[/ame]

Wear headphones or use good speakers. My favorite is the D6 and D4 from Audix. I personally do not like the Beta 52 because it doesnt fit the sound I want. This review will give you an idea of the sound youll get from each mic.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

A lot of guys playing rock and metal like the Audix D6 because it's really easy to use and gives that attacky thump that they want, almost straight out of the box.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Bass Drum Microphone Shootout & Comparison - Kick Drum Mic - YouTube

Wear headphones or use good speakers. My favorite is the D6 and D4 from Audix. I personally do not like the Beta 52 because it doesnt fit the sound I want. This review will give you an idea of the sound youll get from each mic.
    Good vid. I like the Audix D6.

User Info Menu

for the original question, if you dont want to go through the hassle off tuning frequency's on the mics with compression and eqing ...ducking the bass etc then get a d6 this has built in compression and tailored kick response, the only reason why i hate the d6 is because its useless for anything but this

now for above youtube clip^^this recording was very quiet , personally dont think the db lvls are correct which can change the tonal sound and gain structure

also you-tube turned the sub frequency's into a square waves ...im sorry this is just puss to my ears
    Last edited by itchie; 09-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    for the original question, if you dont want to go through the hassle off tuning frequency's on the mics with compression and eqing ...ducking the bass etc then get a d6 this has built in compression and tailored kick response, the only reason why i hate the d6 is because its useless for anything but this

now for above youtube clip^^this recording was very quiet , personally dont think the db lvls are correct which can change the tonal sound and gain structure

also you-tube turned the sub frequency's into a square waves ...im sorry this is just puss to my ears
    is that what the high pitched "wheezing" noise is?
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help everyone. I went with the Shure B52 mic, they had a used one at GC for $89 so I pulled the trigger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by felty View Post
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I went with the Shure B52 mic, they had a used one at GC for $89 so I pulled the trigger.
    A Beta 52 for $89 was a good deal - I'd have jumped on that too.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

It's a great mic. I would have bought it too if i found one for that cheap lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Yeah, I grabbed it up really quick lol. Now I need to just find a set for my toms with clips for a good price : /

User Info Menu

Yeah, I grabbed it up really quick lol. Now I need to just find a set for my toms with clips for a good price : /
    Do you have overheads already?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

sweet ..you cant go wrong with that kick mic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Do you have overheads already?
    Yep!

User Info Menu

sweet those will get you going for awhile until you get tom mics. a lot of times for recording i run kick, snare 2 overheads because i dont have enough clips or mics for a 5 piece.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I wish I could find just a cheap like 3 piece set of clips and tom mics : /

Larrysperf Guest

I wish I could find just a cheap like 3 piece set of clips and tom mics : /
    Drum Bum has them, and shure 52 is great bass mic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Drum Bum has them, and shure 52 is great bass mic
    Link?