Thread: Bouncy heads

User Info Menu

Default Bouncy heads

My heads are driving me insane...

It could be because they're really cheap makes that came on the drums and I don't want to replace them cos I'm getting a new kit soon. But even so, I still need to know what some good heads are, cos I want to skin that beauty up right away.

The real problem I find is that my heads aren't bouncy enough on the toms especially. My sticks hit the drums and then stay there, they don't rebound. This makes it very annoying when I'm trying to do a roll or something down the toms.

Obviously I'm concerned about tonal sound as well and this could just be something to do with these cheap skins. But all the same, what skins give the best response when you hit them? Any help would be great, thanks!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

The Remo Coated Ambassadors are a good choice. You are going to find a HUGE difference between the stock heads and ANY name brand head really. But i think the coated heads look, sound and respond great.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

hey man, I didnt think it was possible to roll down the toms, but actually it was just my skins, they are so cheap and crappy, there the stock heads from my kit, and they dont roll worth crap, im lookin for some heads too, i was lookin at mabye evans g2 or g1

User Info Menu

Ah, bouncy heads, I know what you're talking about. I play that game with my 2 year old cousin all the time, fun.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    Ah, bouncy heads, I know what you're talking about. I play that game with my 2 year old cousin all the time, fun.
    LOL

Ethel, I just need to ask how you have your toms tuned. Are they tuned low, like maybe just past the point of getting the wrinkles out, or are they tuned a bit higher? It might be making a bit of difference in how the initial attack feels to you.
    Last edited by pastor_bob; 06-18-2007 at 08:58 PM.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Bouncy heads

For a moment, I thought we were talkin' about what is more often called "bobbleheads" (like sports figures) !

But if the heads are too flabby (as pastor bob suggests, just this side of getting the wrinkles out), you may have as much as a problem with a "bouncy" sensation or sound as you would if they're tightened too much.

The thing to keep in mind is that the heads have to be tightened evenly. Some drummers count the number of threads on each screw; others rely on the drum gauge; others literally play it by ear by tapping the head at each tuning nut.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Try tuning your resonant heads really tight first (bottom heads). That should take away some of the bouncyness from the top.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I tap each head lug.. but its really anyoing.

User Info Menu

Ok, see, now I find also that if your resonant head (bottom) is tuned loose, it removes the rebound form the batter heads just as much as having the batter tuned low. The bounce comes from a combination of the tightness of the skins and the air inside the drum being trapped - if either skin is a little loose - it will effect your rebound.

Not to be picky, but rebound is also greatly effected by how you hold your stick - if you guys happen to be holding the stick too high or low (not necassarily realising it) this will also have the greatest impact, cheap skins or not. Trust me, i've played on cheap skins
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?