Thread: Line in Versus USB!

User Info Menu

Default Line in Versus USB!

Is there a difference in quality? I am using a Mac Powerbook G4, and I have a 1/8 line input. I want to buy a mixer I'm looking at (a Shure 200M Prologue), and it does not have USB capability. I'm only used to seeing USB plug ins, but I've recently heard that line in works just as well. Am I misinformed?
    I don't know, I'm so confused! I just want a decent recording that doesn't sound like crap aghhh! Any help is appreciated
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Line in Versus USB!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Is there a difference in quality? I am using a Mac Powerbook G4, and I have a 1/8 line input. I want to buy a mixer I'm looking at (a Shure 200M Prologue), and it does not have USB capability. I'm only used to seeing USB plug ins, but I've recently heard that line in works just as well. Am I misinformed?
    I don't know, I'm so confused! I just want a decent recording that doesn't sound like crap aghhh! Any help is appreciated
    I've gotten acceptable scratch track quality from a 1/8" input. But it is not good enough quality for anything more than that. USB will be a lot nicer. Then there's firewire which is even better. The biggest concern should be the preamps though.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

The size of the line and bandwidth is arbitrary. The only time this comes into play is when recording multiple mics at once. The big question is what are you using for the A to D and D to A converter. Is it the converter in the mixer or the converter built into the computer. This is where your quality of recording is lost or maintained, Converters can get quite pricey but I am betting the one in the mixer is probably better than the one in built into your computer. And I have said many times in this forum in all actuality the converters, mics, cables and preamps mean squat if the room you are recording in is not acoustically favorable to recording.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    The size of the line and bandwidth is arbitrary. The only time this comes into play is when recording multiple mics at once. The big question is what are you using for the A to D and D to A converter. Is it the converter in the mixer or the converter built into the computer. This is where your quality of recording is lost or maintained, Converters can get quite pricey but I am betting the one in the mixer is probably better than the one in built into your computer. And I have said many times in this forum in all actuality the converters, mics, cables and preamps mean squat if the room you are recording in is not acoustically favorable to recording.
    This.

When you are lining in with a 1/8" jack, your ADA converting probably isn't going to be as good as it would be with a decent interface because most of the time a person using the line-in functionality is only doing so for basic voice applications where standard clarity is going to be ok, but it won't be suitable for high fidelity recording. With an interface, your analog to digital conversion happens before it hits the computer, so the digital information going into the computer is already robust before it gets converted back to audio.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Ok, that clears it up. I think I'll stick with an Alesis iO2, Tascam US144 or something like that. Thanks for your help!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

If you can get an interface with firewire instead of usb, you won't have an issue with something called "latency". I think it only pops up when you are doing multiple tracks, it has to do with playing back the 1st track you've recorded while laying down the 2nd track.. i'm sure all the experts will correct me on this but it is something you may want to consider- its a speed thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    If you can get an interface with firewire instead of usb, you won't have an issue with something called "latency". I think it only pops up when you are doing multiple tracks, it has to do with playing back the 1st track you've recorded while laying down the 2nd track.. i'm sure all the experts will correct me on this but it is something you may want to consider- its a speed thing.
    Sometimes you'll get a little bit of latency, even with Firewire, although I suppose it could be my imagination. I once did a thing with my setup (Focusrite Saffire Pro 40) with a rudimental snare part in it, and there was an ever so slight bit of latency - the only time I noticed it was in doing an over-dub where my roll figures weren't quite lining up - I'm not sure if it was latency in monitoring or what, and it wasn't much, but it was there.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.