Thread: LP Caixa?

User Info Menu

Default LP Caixa?

Aloha!

I am a drumset player who loves the 12"x7" snare size. I started looking for a metal-shelled snare in these dimensions, which turned up this little fellow:

Has anyone had any experience with this? Brand new, the price is about a fifth of an average snare, so I'd be interested in getting this to mess around with and perhaps customize.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re: LP Caixa?

My goodness, did not know LP made these! sorry cannot add anything useful, except it would be nice to hear one..just because they make one does not mean its any good, but its a floater! Hmmmm
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

They probably just outfitted their timbale in that size with bottom hardware. LP is always good in the quality department, so that's probably a safe buy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    [...] but its a floater! Hmmmm
    Indeed! For ~$90, that's not too bad to serve as a base of a DIY project- say replacing the wires, possibly hoops, and/or hunting for free floater lugs, or a company that could punch holes in the shell to accept tube lugs if necessary.

I searced YT for a video to find out what I'd be getting into, to no avail.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM0Ce7U5u8c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM0Ce7U5u8c[/ame]

This guy has one in his setup, he plays it around 4:00. Sounds pretty cool...
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

^--- Precisely what I was hoping for! Thank you very much, sir!

User Info Menu

This snare is for Brazilian Samba music, search You Tube under "Batucada" and you will find the Caixa in action. A prime example of Caxia playing is Paul Simon's "Rhythm of the Saints" which was a percussion masterpiece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM0Ce7U5u8c

This guy has one in his setup, he plays it around 4:00. Sounds pretty cool...
    This is an example of the Caixa being played with Surdo (Bass drums).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    My goodness, did not know LP made these! sorry cannot add anything useful, except it would be nice to hear one..just because they make one does not mean its any good, but its a floater! Hmmmm
    Floating hardware is common with Brazilian percussion. I love the Surdo drums that use this hardware method. I have several different Surdos and the best have Calf heads. A Fiberskyn head will do but nothing beats a calf skin.

I have a 40" concert bass with a calf skin as well so call me crazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bembe View Post
    Floa A Fiberskyn head will do but nothing beats a calf skin.

I have a 40" concert bass with a calf skin as well so call me crazy.
    Why would anyone want a drum head that he/she can't beat??
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Keck View Post
    Why would anyone want a drum head that he/she can't beat??
    Calfskin is quite durable but can't be beat on like speed metal. The best Brazilian Surdo sound for fat bass is Calf. My Surdo with a Calfskin is now 20 years old. It is a boomer. All you need is the right mallet.

If you want to see this in action, check out YouTube for Batucada. There you will find excellent Caxia and Surdo action.

User Info Menu

That clip sounds like an ordinary snare to my untrained ears, I thought that caxias were played with the snare wires on top.