Thread: bass drum movement

User Info Menu

Default bass drum movement

OK, this will be an odd question, so bare with me.

Has anybody ever had a problem with their bass drum scooting away as they play? It does this when I use my double bass pedal. It just does it a bit at a time. But after a few songs, the bass drum is askew. I have to pull it back into place and re-adjust my pedal. It does this regardless of the surface (which is almost always carpet, but had a brief stint on a wooden floor in my "currently being remodeled" jam room). Is there a fix for this other that putting a heavy object in front of my drum? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: bass drum movement

I used to have that problem and it was very, very annoying.

Once, when I was in middle school, the band director decided me and my kit should be place on top of a few tables that were pushed together in the back. The kick wandered, and nearly fell off onto the trumpet section below!

I used to use two 20lb. stage weights in front of each spur. When I had a Yamaha double pedal, they sold a small attachment that joined it to the hihat stand. Those two together stayed put.

My kick doesn't wander anymore, and I have a hard time figuring out what really made the difference. I have a drum rug, which I use even on someone else's carpet. I've recently been putting a moving pad under the drum rug. That seems to keep everything in place.

My Axis pedal has a generous amount of velcro underneath. For a quick fix, you could visit the local hardware/Wallyworld/craft store and buy some velcro strips. Attach these under the pedals, and that will anchor the pedal, which won't in turn push the kick.

Lastly, I've heard stories of people tying string or rope between the seat and the kick to keep it in place. I'd stick with the velcro and a rug, personally.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Does your bass drum spurs not have retractable spikes?

Between the spikes on my spurs, the spikes on my pedal and the velcro under my pedal, my bass doesnt have anyway to move lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

If the spikes and velcro dont work, tie small piece of rope from your kick to a leg of your throne.

User Info Menu

My spurs have spikes as well, and I have a fairly decent double pedal, and both sides of those have spikes as well (I took the velcro off) between the spikes on the spurs and spikes on the pedals, the my 22" bass drum does not move. I don't have a "drum" rug, its just a relatively thick carpet, with wool or some thick material on top.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

Do you have some/enough clearance (about 1 inch or so) between the front hoop and the floor?... to ensure the spurs (not the hoop) are actually supporting the front of the bass drum.

User Info Menu

I've got one of these:

Drum Bum sells it. A little pricey in my opinion but it works well.

User Info Menu

That is odd never had that problem but it makes sense to what kickinit says make sure the weight of the drum is on the spurs not the hoop. I have mine on a piece of low profile rug which sits on top of a piece of plywood and never had it move on me and I play hard bass drum. Another product you could use is a rubber drum mat. Hope you this problem solved Good luck.

User Info Menu

Talking Re: bass drum movement

Yes Im sure this has happened to almost everyone at one time or another.I forgot my drum rug once when we played on a flatbed trailer.Everyone got a laugh when we nailed a board down to keep them in place.Many good suggestions here to help you out as usual!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

+1 on the check the front hoop height and the leg spurs. Actually I've found the cheapest carpets(with glued waffle backing, not rubber) work the best with spurs because the spurs really dig into the backing and stay put. More expensive or diff. carpets allow the spurs to sit on top of the carpet and the kick slides anyway. I used ropes at one time, between the throne and kick lugs, until I found a carpet that worked. But now I've discovered Sonor spurs seem to work on all carpets! Another consideration: A "virgin"kick won't have the weight of two toms and mounts to help push the spurs into carpeting.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

It might seem redundant, but make sure that your spurs are level. Also, if your slave pedal has spurs/spikes, get a couple extras and put them in your master if possible. You get a nice sturdy triangle. I did this and my bass drum hasn't walked since.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: bass drum movement

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    +1 on the check the front hoop height and the leg spurs. Actually I've found the cheapest carpets(with glued waffle backing, not rubber) work the best with spurs because the spurs really dig into the backing and stay put. More expensive or diff. carpets allow the spurs to sit on top of the carpet and the kick slides anyway. I used ropes at one time, between the throne and kick lugs, until I found a carpet that worked. But now I've discovered Sonor spurs seem to work on all carpets! Another consideration: A "virgin"kick won't have the weight of two toms and mounts to help push the spurs into carpeting.
    Good point Slinglander on the virgin kick. I have the weight of the two toms on mine so I guess that helps the spurs to dig into the carpet better. Good point never thought of mentioning that.

User Info Menu

The only thing that scoots around the floor at my house is my dog and the cause is worms LOL just thought I would throw that in for a chuckle

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Re: bass drum movement

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Good point Slinglander on the virgin kick. I have the weight of the two toms on mine so I guess that helps the spurs to dig into the carpet better. Good point never thought of mentioning that.

Larrysperf Guest

Velcro on bottom of pedal cures this, give it a try

User Info Menu

You need a good drum rug. I also use a drum riser on my base drum. It lifts the bass drum up which drives the front bass drum spikes deeper into the rug and locks it in alittle better and you will get a better bass sound, better tone and its louder because your beater is dead center and hits the head squarer and solid. I use a riser on 18 inch and 20 inch bass drums and I use a double pedal setup it works ok for me.