Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tama IC - Power Glide vs Rolling Glide

User Info Menu

Default Tama IC - Power Glide vs Rolling Glide

I thought I would post this thread up because of a change I made recently in my setup. I have used a Tama Power Glide since about 2007, and before that a Pearl Eliminator with the red cam. Due to circumstances that would take too long to get into, I had been doing a lot of playing on my spare pedal, a DW 3000 with an IC beater, on a kit where I had it set up at a church. I had begun to notice that I had a bit more control over the DW pedal, so comparing a bit, I noticed that a big difference was the cam shape - round vs the offset cam on the IC Power Glide. The difference was enough that I stopped using the IC and started using the DW 3000.

I decided to go ahead and order the Rolling Glide cam for my Iron Cobra, and I installed it tonight. It did just what I thought it would, and maybe even to a greater extent than with the DW 3000.

I just thought I would toss that out there for anyone who thinks they may not like the "Iron Cobra" - if that's the case, it's possible that the pedal you tried and didn't like was a Power Glide, and you may well like the Rolling Glide. For me it's a matter of timing - I feel like the Rolling Glide cam gives me a bit more control over just when my beater hits the head, where with the Power Glide cam at times I felt like I was slightly ahead, sometimes so much that on occasion it was noticeably out of the pocket - not something you want your bass drum to be.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tama IC - Power Glide vs Rolling Glide

Interesting point! I may order the rolling cam just for the heck of it.

User Info Menu

Just be aware that it's not the easiest of switches - at least not on mine. I think on later models where the posts have the top caps it's easier, but for mine I had to take a lot of it apart to get to where I could slide the axle off enough to switch the cams. Not terrible for someone like me - I'm mechanically inclined anyway, but it might not be so easy for someone who isn't good at taking things apart and putting them back together.

Learn it. Love it.

ThePloughman Guest

I have owned both pedals since the Gen 1 Naked Aluminum narrow sprocket. The rolling glide was always the better pedal. Still is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    I have owned both pedals since the Gen 1 Naked Aluminum narrow sprocket. The rolling glide was always the better pedal. Still is.
    I just think it's interesting that from what I've seen, or at least the way I remember it, the Power Glide is the one that is pushed and advertised the most.

I was practicing some stuff on it tonight and I need to adjust it just a bit - not really a surprise considering I had it mostly dismantled. It's too late to mess with now though - the family is in bed. Plenty of time tomorrow.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

tama sells power glides at least 50 to 1 over the rolling glide, but i am right there with you. interesting to note that the speed cobra is in fact a lightened version of their rolling glide cam and if you watch the video impressions from artists one of the things they all mention is the amount of control they gained once getting used to the pedal.

User Info Menu

Just learned something new today on the IC. Thanks for sharing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    Just be aware that it's not the easiest of switches - at least not on mine. I think on later models where the posts have the top caps it's easier, but for mine I had to take a lot of it apart to get to where I could slide the axle off enough to switch the cams. Not terrible for someone like me - I'm mechanically inclined anyway, but it might not be so easy for someone who isn't good at taking things apart and putting them back together.
    I know what ya mean. I took mine apart to replace the piece that holds the beater. I have an older version so I had to essentially take the whole thing apart.

User Info Menu

Its the money way of the world.If you bought the good one to begin with,they would be out the money you spent for the cheaper model.This way they get to sell two pedals.Not picking on Iron Cobra.Im picking on the bean counters that know how to ramp up sales for any corporations stock holders.If these kinds of ploys fail to work they just lay off a pile of their workers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    Its the money way of the world.If you bought the good one to begin with,they would be out the money you spent for the cheaper model.This way they get to sell two pedals.Not picking on Iron Cobra.Im picking on the bean counters that know how to ramp up sales for any corporations stock holders.If these kinds of ploys fail to work they just lay off a pile of their workers.
    I'm not so sure they are doing a bait and switch - there are a lot of players who really like the Power Glide, although I would tend to think those would be the people who are doing more metal and double bass playing. I'm a single bass player and I do almost everything BUT metal. LOL! They do really push the Power Glide though, and from an advertising point of view the name was likely created to have just that effect - I want power in my drumming so I'll get an Iron Cobra Power Glide! The word "rolling" just doesn't have that kind of effect.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

so, do they offer the power glide cam for the speed cobras?
    MAPEX MAFIA

ThePloughman Guest

Throw out the word POWER and make it appear special, you will sell that one first. I remember when you would be very hard pressed to FIND a rolling glide in a guitar center.
    Maybe its still like that.

User Info Menu

beware ..these pedals are put together really well!

there's red strip tape on almost every thread and the only way i know how to get the screws out is to heat up the screws with a soldering iron

i have seriously thought about changing my flex cam ..

User Info Menu

they do not as of yet offer a power glide speed cobra.

User Info Menu

Throw out the word POWER and make it appear special, you will sell that one first. I remember when you would be very hard pressed to FIND a rolling glide in a guitar center.
    Maybe its still like that.
    Most of the time any Iron Cobra I see in Guitar Center is a Power Glide, and likely for the very reason you said - put the word "power" in front and it's going to sell more than if it says "rolling."

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that I've go the powerglide double version of that pedal. Very wide board at the toe and built like a tank. I really like the feel of the rolling glide (lite sprocket?) cam on the speed cobras.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Hey guys,
    Just joined and introduced myself in the 'introductory thread'
    I am a noob to this forum but not to drumming

My question is: I just purchased a second hand Iron Cobra Powerglide on eBay and it's in really good condition. Not sure what generation it is (although it doesn't have the Cobra Coil)

The thing is I am really keen to try the Rolling Glide Cam. It seems from the posts above that I may be able to order it seperately and swap them over (with a bit of difficulty by the sounds)

The problem is I am in Australia. Anyone know where I could purchase the cam seperately and where from? Nothing on eBay.....

Thanks all!
    Last edited by froidy1981; 09-26-2011 at 07:36 PM.

User Info Menu

I thought I'd update this. After I'd initially switched out the cam, I ended up going back to my DW pedal for a bit - there was still enough of a difference that it was distracting and it wasn't performing like I needed it to.

I sat down with both pedals and kind of tweaked the Iron Cobra a bit, and put it on my kit. After one last little adjustment of the spring tension, it was really close. This is good news because unless I want to buy another whole IC pedal, that means I have a fantastic spare that is virtually the same feel. Anyway, as of tonight, my IC is once again my main pedal!

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

My first pedal that I can recall being a name-brand (this is back in the late 70's) was a Tama... it had solid linkage between the footboard and the cam.. attached with roll pins that broke. They had a strap drive at the time also.. the King Beat I think. I ended up repairing my cheapo pedal until I got my first Camco in the early 80's which had a round sprocket like a bicycle for a cam... the forerunner of the Rolling Glide. You think the DW's slave pedal is a toe wrecker.. just try getting your sock/big toe stuck between the chain and sprocket of that bad boy.

To this day I have a combination of direct-drive pedals and Power Glide/Rolling Glide-type cams (both Tama and DW). My "cheap" pedals are a brace of Tama HP200's..(AKA Iron Cobra Jr) single chains with "Power Glide" on the cams and I can play them pretty darn fast and hard.
    It's funny.. the IC Jr's are so much better then anything we had in the 70's...Ludwig Speed Kings being the only exception.. and even that's arguable.
    Last edited by davewilson; 09-29-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

I personally would pick the power cam. Just my personal preference, i found it easier to play than a rolling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I personally would pick the power cam. Just my personal preference, i found it easier to play than a rolling.
    That's really what it boils down to. The IC Power Glide has been one of the most popular pedals for what, 10 years or more? I think a lot of it depends on what style you play and what feel you prefer. I was perfectly happy with my Power Glide until circumstances had me using my DW pedal and I discovered that there was a little bit more control I could gain by going to a round cam.

Keep in mind also, my bass drum foot is one of the weakest aspects of my technique. Anything too fast or complicated is really pushing my limits so I need all the help I can get!
    Last edited by trickg; 09-30-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure which IC I have...but mine is roughly 10 years old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I'm not sure which IC I have...but mine is roughly 10 years old.
    What's neat about the IC (and I suppose any other well made pedal) is that as long as threads aren't stripped, they can be repaired pretty easily by anyone who is even somewhat mechanically inclined. Pulling apart my pedal to switch out the cam was a bit of a challenge, but I've done worse.

I've read about people upgrading bearings and that kind of thing - is it really worth it to go to that length?

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    What's neat about the IC (and I suppose any other well made pedal) is that as long as threads aren't stripped, they can be repaired pretty easily by anyone who is even somewhat mechanically inclined. Pulling apart my pedal to switch out the cam was a bit of a challenge, but I've done worse.

I've read about people upgrading bearings and that kind of thing - is it really worth it to go to that length?
    I keep mine clean and maintained. I've pulled it apart like your so I could change the piece that holds the beater. Mine broke. It's involved but not impossible. Mine still feels great.

User Info Menu

The rolling glide version is great, I use mine for any style and it performs well. Lots of control and power. Speed is not an issue either, though it feels quite heavy most of the time. Never really sat down and fully test-ran the powerglide version, though.