Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need all of your help....urgently!!!

User Info Menu

Question Need all of your help....urgently!!!

Hey guys, I have an extremely hard decision to make. Most of u should know that I'm in school still and I am 14 years of age. Now, I have been at my current school for 9 years. And I know everyone, and am really good friends with everyone. But.....I'm starting to think about my career a whole lot more. And I have always wanted to be a musician and I never want a desk job. So my school at the moment has crappy instruments and a beginner drum kit. My school doesn't have to many music selections and we don't have any editing programs or facilities. So....I have a chance to go to a school with top of the line facilities, top of the line kits and when we move to their school we get our own laptops with drum editing programs. And when u choose music as an elective subject u play drums 3 hours a day and u get to share a drumming studio with 1 other person. So.....I either stay at my current school with everyone I know....and wait till UNIVERSITY to get into drumming. Or I go to this school, meet new people and try to further my career.

I believe if I move it will give me more opportunities in the long run to fulfill my dream. I want all of your opinions on this one. Because one decision is going to change my life.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need all of your help....urgently!!!

I suppose you have to make the decision for yourself - well, that is to say, your parents need to make the decision for you and you need to weigh in with them. Truth is, most people who pursue a career in music do not end up as famous musicians. That doesn't mean there isn't room for those people tho - instructors/professors, orchestra, theater, "house" bands, studio work, freelance "drummer for hire" - I'm sure others can add other professions that a musician can land in outside of being the super popular rock star. I think that if your goal is to be a popular rock/pop star for your drumming skills, then you probably stand as much a chance of doing that regardless of the school you attend, assuming you still take plenty of time to practice. But if another line of the music career interests you, than it might be worth going to the new school to really hone your skills.
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

Yeah. Hanging your hat on being a rock star (and I'm not saying that's what you want to do) is like not setting aside an IRA but playing the lotto every week. Slim chances. But, if you just want to be involved in music and will do anything, and have a broad enough range of interests, then considering a music career is not a terrible decision. For example, would you want to learn mallets and timps and be able to play orchestral music? Because IMO if you want to be a professional musician, you need to learn all the percussion instruments, and not just for orchestras. Broadway shows require you to be a full percussionist. Any university program will include all percussion instruments.

Keep this in mind too, with the way things are going right now, arts programs are getting cut like crazy and I think this will mean fewer jobs in the future, at least for a while.

I know of a few people who did a dual major in college, with music and something else, like business, so they could get a "day" job and also pursue music. My cousin was accepted to University of Wisconsin medical school right out of high school (he's brilliant) as long as he took the require undergrad courses, so he majored in music because it's his first love. Now he's a brilliant genetics counselor who plays gigs sometimes.

I also know a lot of music majors who went back to school later for something else because they couldn't get a good job.

Bottom line, what I would tell my son is if you want to major in music, you need to have a fall back. This is the discussion you need to have with your parents.

User Info Menu

Oh, and regarding the whole "friend" thing, I heard something interesting: Life begins when you step outside your comfort zone. Not sure I buy it 100% but it's worth adding to the list of things to think about.

User Info Menu

This one is easy - go to the school with the better music program.

1.) Your friends, assuming they are true friends, will continue to be your friends, even if you aren't in the same school.

2.) You will make new friends at the new school, and those friends will be more like you in the things they are interested in and passionate about.

I don't see the situation as "either/or" - I see it as "both/and" - you can go to the new school, keep your old friends, make new friends, and give yourself a much better shot at becoming a solid musician.

Keep in mind that this might have no relevance at all on whether or not you wind up with a career in music performance. It takes much more than skill on an instrument to make that happen. Aside from being good, you need to know the right people, make the right contacts, develop a reputation for reliability, and you need to have a little bit of luck come your way with the right opportunities. That all comes later though.

Believe me, you never want to look back and wonder, "what if....?" If you and your parents think that going to this new school would be a good move for you, then do it.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

WoW for 14 i'm impressed.." a career " hunt already! well I do believe you have answered your own question with this new school..as others have said your close friends will still be your close friends...I went to school with alot of nice kids..you know I only keep in touch with 3 ( not including FB ) and one of my friends and I have been together for 53 years! so..if you are head strong on music as a " career" its obvious!.. so to steal a line...Just do it.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

The truth of the matter is in most cases the friends you have in school you will loose contact eventually after your out of school. You go off and do your own things. It's just a simple fact. You all will start new lives pursuing your own interests, families ect. You may retain your friendship but your priorities change after school. So with that said, go for your musicians carrier, go to the new school. You will create new frienships. You will have more in common with kids at this other school than the current school.

Just my 2 cents.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    WoW for 14 i'm impressed.." a career " hunt already! well I do believe you have answered your own question with this new school..as others have said your close friends will still be your close friends...I went to school with alot of nice kids..you know I only keep in touch with 3 ( not including FB ) and one of my friends and I have been together for 53 years! so..if you are head strong on music as a " career" its obvious!.. so to steal a line...Just do it.
    Yeah my head was not on this straight 6 years ago lol. Look you have the opportunity to go to what sounds like an incredible school, and even if you dont become a rockstar youll get to try out different fields of the industry.

I personally only talk to about 5-7 people from highschool still. I only graduated a year an a half ago. So your closest friends will always be there, or at least for a long time. and youll meet kids into the same thing as you at a new school.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

My son is 14 years old. I wish he had the drive and determination that you have. I am also going to agree with everyone else on this matter. There is nothing wrong with chasing a dream. There is also nothing wrong with having a back up plan either. I only differ in that I am a dream chaser. That doesn't make my wallet swell, but my heart always holds all the wealth it can bear.

I can tell you this; Life is short, sometimes too short, and opportunities often present themselves at really strange times in our lives. For you, at the age of 14, the beginning of a dream is unfolding. Do you let it go in favor of the more stable route, only to long for it later when it is no longer an option? If the new school teaches all of the basics (three r's) in addition to music then what could be stopping you? Chase the dream. Don't give up. The people that we see reach the pinnacle of their profession are the ones who never gave up their dreams. Not even once, not even for a moment.

As long as people inhabit the earth, they will need someone to make music. They say that music is a sense for the ears. I say not true. Music is for our souls. It makes us laugh, cry, rejoice, remember and forget. It brings people together. It is a tangible intangible. Even the deaf can feel music. The blind can see music. It is a love this is never lost, a sunrise to every dark night. It is a profession that instills passion like no other. It is timeless.

If you feel this strongly about you music, then the choice is simple.

The best of luck to you young man,

ntn2it
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

The only other question is, if you intend to go to college, even in music, will the new school give you the college prep you need to get into the school you want to go to?

User Info Menu

I love your ambition and it's great to see your parent's support. Do you have siblings? How will it affect them? As for making the move now, keep in mind that there is absolutely no hurry or need to go at a pace that you may feel necessary. When I was in college (I had already been playing professionally for 12 years), there was a guy that had only been playing for 2 years. He played circles around me.

When it comes to big decisions like this, I like to put everything on paper. Make a "pros" section and a "cons" section. Be honest with your assessment of each. You'll find this very helpful.

Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius-Borich-JR View Post
    I want all of your opinions on this one. Because one decision is going to change my life.

A few things.

1. When I was 14, no one ever pointed out to me that I could earn a living as a musician. If they had, maybe I would have taken music seriously.

2. You will learn that any decision, even a seemingly small one, has the capability of changing your life for good or bad.

3. In the grand scheme of things, the part of life that you are experiencing right now is not as important as it seems to you today. Whatever you choose, it's not a life or death choice. You can excel or fail in either school.

4. Choosing music because you don't want a desk job is understandable but if it's not truely your passion, don't chase it just to avoid getting a real job.

5. Some kids know what they want and the specialized schooling available these days can really help them achieve their goals. We have one high school that offers an aviation program so kids with passion for flying can attend and get a huge head start.

Good luck

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I have an extremely hard decision to make. Most of u should know that I'm in school still and I am 14 years of age. Now, I have been at my current school for 9 years. And I know everyone, and am really good friends with everyone. But.....I'm starting to think about my career a whole lot more. And I have always wanted to be a musician and I never want a desk job. So my school at the moment has crappy instruments and a beginner drum kit. My school doesn't have to many music selections and we don't have any editing programs or facilities. So....I have a chance to go to a school with top of the line facilities, top of the line kits and when we move to their school we get our own laptops with drum editing programs. And when u choose music as an elective subject u play drums 3 hours a day and u get to share a drumming studio with 1 other person. So.....I either stay at my current school with everyone I know....and wait till UNIVERSITY to get into drumming. Or I go to this school, meet new people and try to further my career.

I believe if I move it will give me more opportunities in the long run to fulfill my dream. I want all of your opinions on this one. Because one decision is going to change my life.

You are getting good advice, but, having been 14 once, I know how much things can change between 14 and 16.

Having said that, you have to make the decision, and like everyone else, you have to live with the decision you make.

If it means anything, I would choose the better school. In all likelihood, the friends you have now are not going to be the friends you have at 30 or 40. It just seems to turn out that way.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=trickg;428824]

I don't see the situation as "either/or" - I see it as "both/and" - you can go to the new school, keep your old friends, make new friends, and give yourself a much better shot at becoming a solid musician.

QUOTE]

I like the way Mr g put it..............I think it sums it up pretty good. If your family suppoots you then I save do what you feel is best for you, chances like this may not always be there.

Let us know what you decide.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Now..I want to thank everyone one who posted here. You guys don't know how much it means to me and I thank you. To answer a few questions. Yes I do have something to fall back on and this is a job in carpentry such A's making furniture,houses etc. And my family are very supportive on this decision, but I would like to have a variety of answers. Also I have an older brother, and he is 22, and all I can say is he does nothing but study and work. As of a music career, I don't generally want to fulfill the "RockStar" life but it would be great. I think this school would not only help me down the line, but improve my skills for the better and learn some new ways to play drums and some new techniques I can learn.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

better school. life is what you make of it.
    as far as your music career theres no reason why you cant achieve whatever you want. but it takes FULL TIME dedication. you may end up being a sound engineer in a top recording studio, you might end up a roadie.
    study your math science english and history, minor in general education in college and major in music.
    who knows!? you may end up being a forest ranger with a drumset at the Grand Canyon
    talk about great acoustics!

an education is something noone can take away from you.

i truly wanted to be an architect in high school and then CADCAM came about, 6 yrs of mechanical drafting down the toilet!
    ive been an auto mechanic for 28 yrs.
    Last edited by kyle102565; 09-23-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: in instead of or before general education

User Info Menu

Well, how many more years of school do you have? Hanging out with your friends for a few more years, in the long run, probably won't be as beneficial as moving to a better music school, if music is what you want to pursue.

User Info Menu

I have 3 years left.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

And then how many years of life after that?

User Info Menu

Now..I want to thank everyone one who posted here. You guys don't know how much it means to me and I thank you. To answer a few questions. Yes I do have something to fall back on and this is a job in carpentry such A's making furniture,houses etc. And my family are very supportive on this decision, but I would like to have a variety of answers. Also I have an older brother, and he is 22, and all I can say is he does nothing but study and work. As of a music career, I don't generally want to fulfill the "RockStar" life but it would be great. I think this school would not only help me down the line, but improve my skills for the better and learn some new ways to play drums and some new techniques I can learn.
    There is a lot you can do with music that is quite fulfilling and doesn't involve it being a full time job, although that can be pretty sweet. I made a living and supported a family for my first 10 years out of high school as a US Army Bandsman. Thinking back on it, what a cool gig that was - I was always stationed near Washington DC so I did a lot of really high profile stuff. My last assignment was in a special army band group and we played regularly at the White House for the President, as well as traveling all over to play for all kinds of things.

But even now that I don't make my living doing it anymore, I'm still heavily involved in music outside of my day job and make a tidy second income doing that. I play trumpet, sing, and play drums. I've gigged and gotten paid doing everything from church gigs to weddings (ceremonial music) to wedding dances, Latin Band, big band, etc. I've done a fair amount of praise band drumming since I started playing kit regularly in 2003.

Again, it's one of those things where it doesn't necessarily have to be either/or - it can just as easily be both/and. I BOTH work a 9-5 job that pays well as a database administrator and data analyst AND between trumpet and drumming, I gig as many as 100 dates a year. I also have a tidy little home studio where I put together little projects while teaching myself the basics of recording engineering.

The good news is that at 14, you have some time, but it's great to be ambitious. When I was your age, I had already decided that I wanted to try to play my horn for a living, and I went on to do just that for 10 years outside of high school. I have no regrets about doing it that way, and in fact, at times I feel sorry for people like my sister, also a very talented musician, who simply let it slip away and never did anything with it past high school.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Which school in Oz is this, Lucius, if you don't mind me asking? Another obvious thing to consider besides the range of gear that they might have is what kind of teachers do they have there? Have they people on the staff that have been in the music industry for quite a while? The reason why I ask is that where I did my Diploma of Music, first day I walked in and apart from by mate Lee being one of the MIDI-lab lecturers, there were a few people on the staff who had obviously seen me gig around the place, such as one of the female lecturers being someone who used to do bass sessions for TV shows such as The Big Gig in the 90's....plus she was the bassist for The Sandman's backing band, so Jacqueline ('Jack' as she was known) also knew people such as Paul McDermott and The Doug Anthony Allstars, whilst another, Andy, is a regular session bassist around town playing with a lot of the tribute shows playing venues such as The Basement and The Vanguard, etc (of course they were asking how come I was enrolling as a mature-age student....there was myself and two or three other guys who were seen as 'the old hands' amongst all the other students who were younger than us....personally, I never saw that as a barrier as I got along with most if not all students). However, the guy who was the drum teacher when I was there left me a little bit dissatisfied....bit of a long story with that guy, but part of the reason why there was a little tension between he and I (and it was a bit childish and not so professional on his behalf) was that I happen to have replaced a drummer friend of his in a band (that was still gigging at the time when I was still studying there at the college)....his mate had a little bit of a grudge against the guys in my band for firing him on the one hand, for his behaviour, and on the other hand, I now had to be taught by his mate for a year and a half or so (the standing joke was that the majority of students and even a few of the staff felt that if anything, I should have been teaching him instead of the other way around...but I told them that I was there to learn, provided that he'd stop being an idiot about it). The best thing though was that the music theory we were learning was straight from Berklee, as our head teacher was an American, Dr David Salisbury, who was a Berklee graduate and holds a a few ethnomusicology degrees. Now that guy was a brilliant teacher.....damned hard to please as far as assignments went, but brilliant nevertheless. Really pressed home the truth for most people that the only way to get on in the music game is to work hard and keep working hard on your skills as a professional musician.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 09-23-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Well If u want to search the school then go type into the URL: www.marryatvillehs.sa.edu.au they are one if the biggest music orientated schools in the country. And what do u mean how many years after that??
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Simply put, if you want something bad enough, you are the only person who can make it happen. Encapsulating your life in music won't seem like a chore, it will become you.

Successful people aren't successful without sacrificing a lot of other things in their life. It takes a commitment that can only be described once you are actually doing it.

I am certain that if you chose a path in music, and were as committed as you possible can be, that new, life-long friends will be made who are also in the same mindset as you.

User Info Menu

Thanks all again for your help... Appreciate it.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Evans G2 heads

User Info Menu

Look at it this way, friends come and go. Your music knowledge you aquire through your young life never will "go". It's something you will always carry with you no matter what path of life you take and no one can take it away from you once you've attaind it. It's a great skill to be able to fall back on. Music is not all just about being a rockstar, there are so many other professions you can pursue and with a degree eventually that piece of paper can open doors that normaly might not open for you. It can help in so many ways. It also feels good when you can share your knowledge with others either through teaching them or just playing for them.

Just my thoughts, I'd take full advantage of this school. It is abit confusing at your age. We've all been there, but with a chance like this, you'd regret it later on not going.

There are so many good situations that you miss because they are beyond your control, but thats why it's important when one comes along that you have control over that you take advantage of it while it's there. Once it's gone, it's gone or harder to attain the second time around. It does'nt get any easier the older you get, believe me.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride