Thread: Band Recording

User Info Menu

Default Band Recording

Could anyone help me out..is there any way my band and I can record a song without renting studio time..i dont have drum mics or anything..but would a video camera work..or would it sound lowsy..basically whats the cheapest way we can record ourselves..but still have it sound good?

User Info Menu

Don't use your camera. If you want a good recording you will have to spend some money. If this were not the case studios would go out of business. The cheapest way to get a moderatly acceptable recording would be to buy a 4-track recorder off of ebay and use 4 cheap mics. This will be good for demoing, but I wouldn't sell it to anyone.

User Info Menu

Video cameras, And the mics inside normal still photo cameras work really really well for recording.... Just make sure your inviroment is clean.

Obviously you only wanted demo's other wise you would get a studio or buy some mic's at least.

We have done really cool demos before with cheap video cameras.. I did one on my phone.
    It can help you see what you do wrong when you play seeing the video too :>

Remember, some of the worlds best recordings come from one microphone in the room :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w
    Video cameras, And the mics inside normal still photo cameras work really really well for recording.... Just make sure your inviroment is clean.

Obviously you only wanted demo's other wise you would get a studio or buy some mic's at least.

We have done really cool demos before with cheap video cameras.. I did one on my phone.
    It can help you see what you do wrong when you play seeing the video too :>

Remember, some of the worlds best recordings come from one microphone in the room :>
    I completely disagree. The microphones in video cameras or on your phone are not made for nor intended to create quality audio recordings. Period.

What recordings were done live with one microphone that you would consider to be some of the world's best?

User Info Menu

For the drums I recommend 1 decent overhead mic, preferably a condenser mic, try and record in fairly large room and is well insulated, not just concrete walls, ya know a big room with carpet, drywall, insulation a finished room, this is what my band did a long time ago, and if you want to know how is sounds, just check out http://www.garageband.com/artist/stompbox this was done a very long time ago, all the other instrument were lined out to our computer, but it should give you a good idea, and it did not cost us anything but a little time..
    Last edited by Pdplayer; 06-20-2007 at 07:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pdplayer
    For the drums I recommend 1 decent overhead mic, preferably a condenser mic, try and record in fairly large room and is well insulated, not just concrete walls, ya know a big room with carpet, drywall, insulation a finished room, this is what my band did a long time ago, and if you want to know how is sounds, just check out http://www.garageband.com/artist/stompbox this was done a very long time ago, all the other instrument were lined out to our computer, but it should give you a good idea, and it did not cost us anything but a little time..
    For demoing with a 4 track, yes this is a good idea. You probably will get alot of cymbals and not as much kick drum as you would like, but, sacrifices must be made in the name of budget right?

If you can, maybe use an overhead and a snare mic.

User Info Menu

What was the best led zeplin album? I think it was LedZ. It was one condencer a few meters down an echo chamber or sometihng.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

That was to get the echoey sound on the drums in When the Levee Breaks. Not to record a whole album or the entire band. And they still used 2 mics for it. When you record a whole band with one mic you get one soundwave recorded. This means its mono (not stereo) and you can't mix the individual parts of the band. So there's no seperation in the parts, you can't do any panning. There's no way any professional recording would ever use just 1 mic.

User Info Menu

why not just use a small tape recorder. or small 100 dollar digi voice recorder if it HAS to be digi.

User Info Menu

i went to my music store and he had showed me a mic, that was a resonable recording device. It was around 100 bucks like funky said but im not sure if it was digi.

User Info Menu

You can buy a small 4 or 6 channel mixer (I have a Behringer 6 channel Mixer I payed about $70.00 for), and run that into the audio in of your PC. There are cheap recording programs (I belive that there are also some free for download also) that will do a decent job. I have Cake Walk Home Studio and I get fairly decent demo recordings. I haven't tried this approach with a whole band though. Normally it's me recording one track at a time this way.

User Info Menu

michi. What kinda abudget are you on and what kind of quality do you want?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

ive got 500 dollars myself..and i have a birthday coming up in july and i think my guitarist has another couple hundred

User Info Menu

You should be able to find a couple of solid state condensers... Stands. and some kind of stereo input. What kind of computers you have? And it would be a demo recording ey?
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    That was to get the echoey sound on the drums in When the Levee Breaks. Not to record a whole album or the entire band. And they still used 2 mics for it. When you record a whole band with one mic you get one soundwave recorded. This means its mono (not stereo) and you can't mix the individual parts of the band. So there's no seperation in the parts, you can't do any panning. There's no way any professional recording would ever use just 1 mic.
    You half right. They do use two mics for stereo. They also split a mono track and stereo it that way too. We use to do that at tafe.

And with the mics on cameras and phones yes your right thats not their intended use. But you can use them.... I know people that use 10$ computer mics to record guitar samples onto professional hip hop albums. I know friends of friends in a biggist australian hip hop group called downsyde. They done it on 3 albums or 2 albums thus far....

Ive said this before to everyone..... Dont stick to beliefs and rules. Or you will miss out on stuff that is really really good and you wont have to spend hundreds off. Ill get that track off my friend and post it. Sometimes really cheap stuff with give you the best results

Your right on the fact it doenst have the quality for pro recording but there are no pro things you can use to make a sound coz thats what it is all about. Do you think people agreed on the guy that spun a speaker in the box and recorded its sound from one axis..... It would have been a 50$ job yet its set a world wide sound :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

700 bucks huh? if someone already has a firewire capable pc you can do this pretty well.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...-LE?sku=184131
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ack?sku=271264
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...age?sku=273166
    this plus cables and mic stands and you will be able to make some great home domos. its all pretty low level equipment but will get it all done and get you familiar with digital multi tracking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo42w View Post
    You half right. They do use two mics for stereo. They also split a mono track and stereo it that way too. We use to do that at tafe.

And with the mics on cameras and phones yes your right thats not their intended use. But you can use them.... I know people that use 10$ computer mics to record guitar samples onto professional hip hop albums. I know friends of friends in a biggist australian hip hop group called downsyde. They done it on 3 albums or 2 albums thus far....

Ive said this before to everyone..... Dont stick to beliefs and rules. Or you will miss out on stuff that is really really good and you wont have to spend hundreds off. Ill get that track off my friend and post it. Sometimes really cheap stuff with give you the best results

Your right on the fact it doenst have the quality for pro recording but there are no pro things you can use to make a sound coz thats what it is all about. Do you think people agreed on the guy that spun a speaker in the box and recorded its sound from one axis..... It would have been a 50$ job yet its set a world wide sound :>

If you split one soundwave into 2 there's really no difference in the sound then playing a mono recording through 2 speakers. There's no panning you can do at all. defeats the purpose doesn't it?

And there's a huge difference between using a crappy mic to sample a short guitar part. And using a mic on a video camera to record an entire bands demo. There's been many times I been in bands where we purposly use lo-fi equipment to record something that is a small part or a buried guitar line, an intro we wanted to sound different than the rest of the song. But to plac a video camera in a room, or use one $10 mic to produce a demo to hand out to anyone is like shooting yourself in the foot. When you put yourself and your work out there, you want to give your best and sound your best. And I was just trying to save michiganice from making the mistakes I made when I was young and naive.

User Info Menu

Hm yeah..... Anything you give out should be high quality. But a demo is more so for the band to hear its self otherwise you record a single if you want people to hear you. Just dont believe the most expencive thing out is the best. Better sounds can come from a 1500$ K2 than a 10 grand valve condensor. Just like some bands choose these 70$Au pickups because the absolutly sound way better than these pickups worth hundreds of dollars....

Sorry i must have made a mistake what i should have said is the cheap unknown options are normally better quality than the big name stuff. Like these australian drum mics my mate picked up were better than shure drum mic set.

Me and my friend are curently designing a music studio that has no walls. Because we dont like reverbe and like natural amp sounds. Were trying to figure out the building so there is a roof. No walls. But still wind and rain protection. We almost have it. When we build it we will post pics :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I never said to buy the most expensive stuff. I just said don't use a video camera mic.

and this statement "the cheap unknown options are normally better quality than the big name stuff" had no merit. I'm sure there are some cheaper products that can outperform SOME brand name equipment. But you can't make a blanket statement like that. It's simply not true.

User Info Menu

Hm sorry. My bad.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters