Thread: Simmons DA200S or Yamaha MSR250?

User Info Menu

Default Simmons DA200S or Yamaha MSR250?

Trying to decide which monitor to get for my TD-9KX. Folks seem to really like the Simmons. I've always been partial to Yamaha. Has anyone tried the MSR250 for their electronic kit? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input,
    Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: Simmons DA200S or Yamaha MSR250?

I have no opinion on the Yamaha, but having gotten a DA200S to go with my new TD-9K2 kit last week, I am absolutely astounded at how good it is.

I used it at a friends' party last Saturday to play music from an iPod and it had no problem filling the 2,000sqft room with pounding bass even with 100 people in it, and the master volume was only at about 2 o'clock. Even after five hours, the back panel was just pleasantly warm.

The EQ needs some tweaking to sound pleasant with regular music (mainly dropping the middle) and the mid/treble is fairly directional (compared with something with a wide horn tweeter) but it can still be made to sound very musical, and for drums it's just awesome - complete overkill for the 14x11' office we have our set-up in, of course, but that's half the fun (as long as the neighbours are out!)

For $269 (with Guitar Center 10% coupon) it's an absolute steal.

The only thing to watch is that the packaging it comes in is lame. Just a cheapo single-layer cardboard box and some fairly thin styrofoam corners. My box had a hole in the side, as if somebody had kicked it, and I dithered over whether to accept it because it was the only one they had in stock, but honestly, the amp itself really is built like a tank so I needn't have worried.
    Last edited by simoneves; 09-28-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: (forgot a word)

User Info Menu

Thanks Simoneves! I did settle for the Simmons DA200S and glad I did. Hooked it up last night and I am impressed as well. I only wanted a monitor for practice and this thing definitely fits the bill. The low end kicks - love that I can feel the low toms and bass drum in my chest.

BTW, got it at Musicians Friend for $255, no tax and free shipping. Just another option for a great amp at a very inexpensive price.

Thanks again for your response,
    Mike
    Last edited by mikedee4; 09-30-2011 at 06:48 PM.

User Info Menu

You're welcome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikedee4 View Post
    Trying to decide which monitor to get for my TD-9KX. Folks seem to really like the Simmons. I've always been partial to Yamaha. Has anyone tried the MSR250 for their electronic kit? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your input,
    Mike
    I play out with a Simmons 9 kit with the Simmons 200w amp, and love it!!! I did have my first Simmons amp blow out on me, but THANKFULLY I had purchased the Pro Gear warranty at Guitar Center, and replacement was free an quick and painless, except I had to purchase another Pro Gear warranty for my new replacement amp, at a cost of $40.00 U.S., which gives me Peace of Mind, and makes it a little easier to sleep at night! Lol But bottom line is, I love my Simmons 200 amp! Peace *Buck*