Thread: Buzz Rolls/ Drum rolls?

User Info Menu

Question Buzz Rolls/ Drum rolls?

Can anyone give me some tips on how to do Buzz rolls or bounce rolls? Ive been playing for around 5-7 months now but I was never taught these rolls, and I really want to learn how to play the song Champagne Supernova by Oasis but I have no idea how to do the rolls after the first pattern. I hope someone would help me out here. Thank you

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buzz Rolls/ Drum rolls?

A buzz roll is also called a press or crushed roll. All you do is kinda press or crush each drum stick to the drum head. Left & right, just repeat that until it sounds like a roll.
    When you do buzz rolls its on the snare drum only, you could only do a buzz roll with the snare drum. The snares buzz. Buzz rolls dont bounce, thats a different type of roll.

Another type of roll that is use is the single stroke roll. You just practice and try and develope slow then fast single alternating hand strokes until it sounds like a roll.
    This is what most drummers do when they play and the single stroke rolls sound good on the toms. There is no bouncing to this type of roll.

Double stroke roll also called, Daddy-Mamma roll. You do 2 stroke with each hand. When you develope speed or get faster it sounds like a perfect roll. Jazz drummer use this type of roll. Anyone can use this roll, sounds better on the snare drum than the toms. Alot of words sound funny in drumming because the way you say it, is the way you play it. Dad DY= left, left, Mom My=right, right. This is the roll when you use bounce. When you first do the double stroke you dont have to bounce. Get a feel of doing double strokes. You will get to a point when you use the energy from your first stroke and catch the rebound of the stick and you use your finger to throw it back down on the drum head, kinda like bounce a ball. First stroke energy, second stroke bounce. Just bounce it once. Some drummers bounce it three times. This bouncing stuff is called finger control. Its more advanced drumming. Before you learn finger control learn stick control. All stick control is the different combinations of sticking. Meaning LL or RR or RLRR or LRRR or anything you can think up. It helps get your hands in shape. Once you got stick control down then go on to finger control. Do drum rudiments it get yours hands into shape. Just have fun. I use a combination of single and double stroke rolls when I play, it helps me express my drum feel when playing.
    Last edited by Jackie; 09-25-2011 at 07:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Doubles and/bounce rolls sound pretty good on toms, too, especially mixed in with paradiddles, etc.: tough to get the equivalent, smooth sounds with single strokes. Case in point is what I call the typical "one-two" or "canon blast" of doubles between mounted tom and floor tom. Of course your toms have to have tighter heads than usual.

User Info Menu

I once went to a clinic where the clinician, a college level percussion instructor, recounted a story about when he was first in college. He went to his professor and asked him how he could improve his roll. What he was expecting was to get some sort of tidbit or sage words of wisdom or advice. What he got instead was:

"If you want to improve your roll, then roll - 10 minutes a day, every day."

The point of that was basically to say that sometimes there are no shortcuts or tricks, and that sometimes the best method is to put in a good amount of time working on one aspect of technique. 10 minutes doesn't sound like much until you actually start the clock and start doing a press/buzz roll. I would venture to guess that if you applied that principle and discipline, in no time you'd be rolling quite well.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I tried learning press rolls because i think thats the kind of roll that was used in the song Champagne supernova but when I try to do the press rolls, it does some bounces but sounds really ugly because maybe probably it just ends blank. can anyone help me learn the proper way?

User Info Menu

Jackie defined it nicely. You can also find video examples of each here:

http://www.DrumRudiments.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Doubles and/bounce rolls sound pretty good on toms, too, especially mixed in with paradiddles, etc.: tough to get the equivalent, smooth sounds with single strokes. Case in point is what I call the typical "one-two" or "canon blast" of doubles between mounted tom and floor tom. Of course your toms have to have tighter heads than usual.
    Yes, it also sounds good going mid tom, high tom, floor tom, mid tom or high tom, snare, floor tom, snare.

I don't catch the rebound with my fingers so much as allow my wrist to hinge back on the first stroke and throw the stick back down for the second rolling my wrist back over. I'm not saying that this is correct, but it works for me.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I been playing a loooong time and still struggle with a good buzz roll. I remember Gina Schock was at Letterman's studio, Anton Fig told her to sit in. Dave calls out the top 10 and she tanked. Letterman told her to go back and play with her little bangle friends. I am sure she felt about 2 inches high. Just goes to show they are not an easy thing to master.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Buzz roll? I've heard the song and like oasis despite there eyebrows but everything I've heard out of there drummer is fairly simple. But now that I'm done condescending check YouTube for exactly what your looking for there's bound to be a tutorial.

User Info Menu

DrumBum have some useful rudimental videos posted on YouTube.....Drummer has posted the link demonstrating all, but I think the poster just wanted a demonstration of doubles and buzzes. Here are the Youtube videos.

Doubles:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18MCVaBd4Vc"]Drum Rudiments #6 - Double Stroke Open Roll - DrumRudiments - YouTube[/ame]

Multiple bounce/buzz strokes:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1POZ_LZyLCQ"]Drum Rudiments #4 - Multiple Bounce Roll - DrumRudiments.com - YouTube[/ame]

To get better at the buzz stroke though, you do need to work on the triplet stroke roll as well:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSNWTetG-_E"]Drum Rudiments #5 - Triple Stroke Roll - DrumRudiments.com - YouTube[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
    . Buzz rolls dont bounce,
    Any multiple stroke roll, by definition, bounces.

Jazz drummer use this type (double stroke) of roll..
    Not necessarily. Jazz rolls are usually (and I run the risk of painting with too broad a brush here) very closed and are often triple strokes or greater.

If you want to learn a buzz roll, start by doing a controlled double stroke (slow to fast), then move to a controlled triple stroke (slow to fast), then from the triple stroke let the stick bounce more than 3 times but also in a smooth, controlled manner. The close it down as you gain speed and work til it's smooth.

As mentioned in another thread, Emil Sholle's book, 'The Roll' will get you started. And the preface to George Stone's 'Stick Control' has some tips on playing closed rolls.

User Info Menu

In those videos in Drumbledore's post, what kind of sticks was he using? They look like they would have the worst bounce of any stick this side of timbale sticks, which may just make them excellent for practicing rolls.

User Info Menu

I love buzzing on my hats and ride as well as the snare. In a few of my band's songs I use them for some added spice.
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

I just viewed the posted link it looks like a slow gravity roll/blast.

User Info Menu

I've also seen buzz rolls done by "dragging" the sticks across the head to make the multiple strokes less obvious and quieter at the outset-played at the outer edges of the head first-and converted to loud press rolls as the sticks are moved to the center of the head to finalize with a rimshot. Usually in response to,"Drummer, drum roll, please!"