Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Drumset Should I Buy

User Info Menu

Default What Drumset Should I Buy

I am looking for a new drumset and I have narrowed the
    search down to a Yamaha Stage Custom, PDP x7, and
    a Tama Silverstar. Please let me know what you think...

User Info Menu

Default Re: What Drumset Should I Buy

well my advice costs a matching drumset and I say go with the Yamaha's.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

i love my silverstars. they sound extremely good for the price.

User Info Menu

I think i'd go with the PDP, for sure

User Info Menu

I gotta say PDP. I love my kit.

User Info Menu

My vote goes to the Silverstars. I have a Superstar kit and the Silverstars are basically the same except for the flanged hoops (as opposed to die cast on the Superstars). I think Tama's got the highest-quality hardware of all the mid-range kits. My Superstars are so easy to tune and they sound phenomenal.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I have a 7 piece Tama Superstar and my brother in law has a 7 piece Yamaha Stage Custom. They both sound great. I like the Superstars better though.
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash

User Info Menu

Im a big Tama fan. Ive owned Swingstars, Granstars and I currently play Superstars.

User Info Menu

out of that bunch the yammies get my vote

User Info Menu

None. Look at some Pearls man.

User Info Menu

I own a Stage Custom Birch kit. If I were buying today and was limited by your three choices my focus would be on the X7 kit. Not dogging the Yamaha kit though, mine has served me well. I've also seen some nice Tama kits pop up around here in the last few months.... you've got a tough decision.

User Info Menu

Have heard all three and my winner is the silverstars, for me anyway.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

PDP X7's , they look and sound great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    None. Look at some Pearls man.
    Words from a true fan boy

User Info Menu

PDP X7 for the win!

This reminds me of what my drum teacher told me when we were talking about mics..

He said something like: "If you look for cheaper mics that are made by a company that makes really, really high end mics, they will often times be better than a cheap mic from a company that makes lesser quality mics." Thats somewhere along the line of what he said. I think the only company that defies that is Behringer mics lol :P
    But anyways.. I think the same goes with drums. PDP happens to be run and owned by DW, so therefor they make their stuff with a lot of the high standards of a DW. Just different wood, lugs, etc..
    Not to say Pearl, Tama, or other companies don't make higher end drums, but just see how many of the pro's use DW's stuff, there's a reason for that.
    (Not saying PDP is DW either). But the ONLY reason that should make you want that kit is if it sounds good to you. That's really the only thing that matters.

But I'll put my bet of the X7's, very nice sounds and quality!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Well if you want a 7 piece kit get the X7's.....

Sometimes less is more. I'd pick the Yamaha's or the Silverstars if it was me. PDP is great, but im not a huge PDP fan generally.

I would take a look at the Mapex Meridian Maples, and the Ludwig Centennials too. (the Ludwigs are going to be a little bit more)

EDIT: I first would recommend a better set of hats before a new kit. You can get a lower end kit to sound good with the right head and tuning, crappy cymbals dont have that advantage.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Those kits will all give you good bang for your buck. You may also want to look at Mapex meridians in that price range. Play as many kits as you can. Something will speak to you.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    but just see how many of the pro's use DW's stuff, there's a reason for that.
    Yeah, it's called getting paid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Yeah, it's called getting paid.
    Dw has never payed anyone to play their drums or hardware. With that said, their top dogs get their stuff free, but that's not really getting payed.
    Last edited by Deedubs!; 09-27-2011 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

you will find a lot of guys in the DW team are obligated to play DW live as part of a contract ..but only a few would be on a pay roll
    Last edited by itchie; 09-28-2011 at 01:09 AM.

User Info Menu

As stated if you need 7 drums go with the Pdp, great bang for your buck, but Ive also heard great reviews on the Tama Silverstars. I highly suggest though buying a used "higher" end kit if you can find a good deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    you will find a lot of guys are in the DW team are obligated to play DW live as part of a contract ..but only a few would be on a pay roll
    Originally Posted by negativeattitude
    The dw artists (past and present) that I've had the opportunity to meet have said that dw did not/ does not pay their endorsers. The kits, tour support, backline and the notoriety of being a dw artist are their compensation.

According to a friend of mine who has a major endorsement Tommy was "shopping around" since last year (his company was trying to get Tommy Lee on their roster).

It doesn't sound to me like there was tour support issues or lack of promotion on dw's end, just Tommy knowing that some company once again is willing to pay him to play their gear.

What he plays onstage or holding in a magazine ad has no connection to what he really thinks are the best drums. It's about big money (he's going from dw to a custom sized Pearl E-PRO kit......think about it!)

User Info Menu

That's where i heard about the dw endorsement stuff. That dosn't mean it's true.

User Info Menu

Tommy Lee will give Pearl a bad name IMO.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Tommy Lee will give Pearl a bad name IMO.
    Where do you get this stuff. If you dont like him ok but that is just crazy statement. If Pearl thought that they wouldnt give him endorsements. He gets press so that means Pearl gets some also. Plus in the 80s he was there biggest drummer
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 09-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.