View Poll Results: HOW DO YOU TUNE YOUR TOMS?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batter Low / Reso High

28 33.73%
  • Batter/Reso = Same Pitch

39 46.99%
  • Batter High / Reso Low

8 9.64%
  • Other

8 9.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you tune your toms?

User Info Menu

Default How do you tune your toms?

Ok everyone, let's see which tuning is the most popular here at DC.

I've always prefered the Batter head lower than the Reso on all of my toms. This always seems to work and sound the best to me.
    Last edited by DrummerD; 09-25-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you tune your toms?

I prefer to tune my 10" tom first, and then tune the rest of the batters in descending 4ths. Then it's just a matter of tuning the reso to the same pitch.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Its random for me. But usually around the same pitch
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

i start with the floor tom and work my way up. reso first, then batter to same pitch then adjust down to correct sustain for my taste then tune in ascending 4ths.

User Info Menu

With a 4 piece kit (1 ride tom, 1 floor tom), do people still tend to tune a (perfect?) 4th between those two?

User Info Menu

with 12 and 14 yes i tend to tune in 4ths. but if it was say 24, 13 16 i might tune in 5ths.

User Info Menu

Reso just a touch higher than batter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SladeGT40 View Post
    with 12 and 14 yes i tend to tune in 4ths. but if it was say 24, 13 16 i might tune in 5ths.
    I should have mentioned -- a 12 and a 16. Mine sound good between a 4th and 5th. Kind of the Here Comes the Bride interval but a little more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fjsjr45 View Post
    With a 4 piece kit (1 ride tom, 1 floor tom), do people still tend to tune a (perfect?) 4th between those two?
    A quarter works, but a fifth sounds even better to me.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I play 4 toms. 10", 12" 14" and 16". I tune my toms to the notes of D, A, E, and B respectively. I tune my resonant head to the flat of each batter head. I have always found that this gives me a really nice full tone and a long sustain, even with my Evans EC2 heads.

My snare is also tuned to an A although it is an octave higher than my 12" tom. I use a small handheld tuner with a microphone built in to get them accurate. The only one that it has a hard time picking up and processing is the low B of the 16" tom. For that, I have my bass player hit a B and adjust to ear.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    I play 4 toms. 10", 12" 14" and 16". I tune my toms to the notes of D, A, E, and B respectively. I tune my resonant head to the flat of each batter head. I have always found that this gives me a really nice full tone and a long sustain, even with my Evans EC2 heads.

My snare is also tuned to an A although it is an octave higher than my 12" tom. I use a small handheld tuner with a microphone built in to get them accurate. The only one that it has a hard time picking up and processing is the low B of the 16" tom. For that, I have my bass player hit a B and adjust to ear.
    Sound advice. I might give that a shot.

User Info Menu

Question Re: How do you tune your toms?

This may sound dumb but how do you know the D,A,E and B on a drum. No idea how that works. On a guitar no problem but drums hum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    This may sound dumb but how do you know the D,A,E and B on a drum. No idea how that works. On a guitar no problem but drums hum.

User Info Menu

For you guys who asked how to tune a drum to a certain note< I will give you two ways to do it.

First, use a piano (hopefully one that has been tuned within the past 12 months) and hit a note. Then hit the drum. Listen to the note and tune it to match. You have to train your ear to do this and it really isn't that hard.

For those of you who are either sonically challenged, or just plain tone deaf I give you the Electronic tuner.

These little gems sell for about $10-$20 and have a built in microphone. Turn it on, hover it about 6" above the drum head that you are tuning and hit the drum. It will tell you what note you are playing. To raise the pitch, tighten the tension rods, and vice versa to lower the pitch. It really works.

After a while, you will be able to sit down, hit the drums and be able to tell when they are out of tune. Every drum has an overall tone, and each head has their own tones. Together, they give sound. Play with it until you have it how you like it. Then take a sharpie marker and write the note right on the drumhead next to the label. Now you can always go back to those settings with the help of your electronic tuner.

Edit*** That humming sound that you hear IS the note. There are only 7 notes in the scale; ABCDEFG, and then they start over. Each of them has a sharp or flat. They each give off sound, and sound is measured by wavelength. The electronic tuner measures wavelength and then shows it as a note and that note's varying degrees of sharpness or flatness. I don't mean to sound too remedial about this, but I always find drummers that have no idea about how sound is made and how to tune an instrument (of any kind). Just trying to make life simpler for everyone out there. There are whole websites devoted to sound as it pertains to music for those that are interested.
    Last edited by ntn2it; 09-27-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Additional Information
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

I pretty much tune to the room I'm in
    Every venue is different some make your toms sing some pull the life out of them and some make your drums uncontrollable feedback inducers
    So I set up have a play and listen for any boominess or any dead tones and tune to get the best sound for the room
    In a purfact world 4th or 5ths would be nice but I think it's a major responsibility of the drummer to tune for the mix and the room
    If your floor is a purfact B but takes off like a rocket into feedback your going to make the soundy pull out that in the grafic meaning no one will here it
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

depends on the band the room and the shell sizes

in most cases ill tune the top to a solid note and then tune in the res head so the note bends up very slightly

User Info Menu

I don't really "tune" my batter heads. They're about two years old now, so there's no tone anyway. I also don't have any reso heads (too expensive)
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: How do you tune your toms?

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    That is the best reply ever from you NR.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: How do you tune your toms?

For you guys who asked how to tune a drum to a certain note< I will give you two ways to do it.

First, use a piano (hopefully one that has been tuned within the past 12 months) and hit a note. Then hit the drum. Listen to the note and tune it to match. You have to train your ear to do this and it really isn't that hard.

For those of you who are either sonically challenged, or just plain tone deaf I give you the Electronic tuner.

These little gems sell for about $10-$20 and have a built in microphone. Turn it on, hover it about 6" above the drum head that you are tuning and hit the drum. It will tell you what note you are playing. To raise the pitch, tighten the tension rods, and vice versa to lower the pitch. It really works.

After a while, you will be able to sit down, hit the drums and be able to tell when they are out of tune. Every drum has an overall tone, and each head has their own tones. Together, they give sound. Play with it until you have it how you like it. Then take a sharpie marker and write the note right on the drumhead next to the label. Now you can always go back to those settings with the help of your electronic tuner.

Edit*** That humming sound that you hear IS the note. There are only 7 notes in the scale; ABCDEFG, and then they start over. Each of them has a sharp or flat. They each give off sound, and sound is measured by wavelength. The electronic tuner measures wavelength and then shows it as a note and that note's varying degrees of sharpness or flatness. I don't mean to sound too remedial about this, but I always find drummers that have no idea about how sound is made and how to tune an instrument (of any kind). Just trying to make life simpler for everyone out there. There are whole websites devoted to sound as it pertains to music for those that are interested.
    Thanks for the info man will look into one of those tuners.

User Info Menu

On my bass drum, with light pressure in the middle of the head, just to get the wrinkle out both sides. The toms I usually tune the batter just a touch higher. I've dabbled with the reso a touch higher also. Both methods work nice for me.

User Info Menu

I go a half turn over finger tight on both sides of the drum for toms. Then I tune individual lugs from "Lug #1". My current set has a 10", 12 and 14. (getting a 16 soon)

User Info Menu

I retuned my drums yesterday. The 10" tom really sings at that tuning. It's lower than it was before...but the sustain is great.

User Info Menu

Marko,

Did you use an electronic tuner and tune them to the notes that I tune mine to? Not that you can't (I don't hold a patent), it's just that you have to find the notes that your drums like the best. You will know this when they all sustain like that 10" tom. Mine sometimes need to go up or down a half step due to humidity/temp. Glad things are working out.

User Info Menu

ntn2it, I have tuned my drums to a tuner before. Whether it is a string, a horn, or a drum, it is the soundwave that is produced that gives us the ability to hear it, and that soundwave can be read by the tuner, as you described. It does work, but for me, I get the drums sounding their best when I tune by ear, starting on the 10" tom. For me, the 10" is the key. I do applaud you for finding a method that works well for you. I also understand that using your method, you can still fine tune by ear for any adjustments that need to be made.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah PB, for me it is my 12" tom that sets the stage for the rest of my drums. Everyone's drums are different. I like the tuner because it sort of gives me a "baseline reading" as to note separation. I have heard of people using the "three blind mice" method of tuning, three note, four note, five note separations and every other variable known to man. For a long time I wasn't able to tell you what and A note even was. When I learned drumming we weren't required to play piano or even bells for that matter. Kids today in most school music programs are required to play 2 yrs of piano before playing drums. I think that is a great move. (They don't like it, but in the end it will make them better musicians.)

I am fortunate in that I live in an area that has a pretty good local music scene. I get to go out and listen to a variety of bands almost every weekend that I am not "out there" playing with my band. I have seen drummers with 5 toms that really had no separation of notes and I think to myself "How much better would that guy/girl sound with at least a 2-3 note separation in his/her drums?" Most of the time these same drummers have bass drums full of pillows and tape/cotton balls all over the heads of their drums. And these are good bands for the most part. It never ceases to amaze me how little is known about tuning drums. My recomendation for a $10-$20 tuner is always only meant to give drummers a "kick start" into the right direction. There will always be drums that don't react well to whole note tunings, but at least the drummer can see concrete evidence that he/she is getting some note separation. Once they actually hear what this sounds like, they are amazed at how good their kit sounds. Ever see a fledgling drummer with his toms about 12" apart, nearly vertical, and with tape all over them? (think craigslist ad.) These are good kits (maybe not the most expensive)that have never been set up to their full potential. It makes me wonder why the kid/person quit playing drums. Maybe it's because they sounded so bad and were hard to play. No one showed them the right way to do it.

I hear alot of people complaining about their 13" toms. I have two kits with 13" toms in the mix. Rather than trying to tune in fourths, tune the 12" and 16" toms five notes apart and find a note right in the middle of those for the 13" tom. Use the tuner to help in the process. Now you have note separation and a kit that doesn't sound half bad. Fine adjustments come easier when you have a baseline from which to start.

Sorry guys/gals for the huge post here. Drumming is a passion for me, and I like to help others find this passion as well. Having drums that sound decent is just one of the many aspects of drumming that I feel gets overlooked sometimes. I'm just trying to offer an alternative solution to a recurring problem. Hopefully, someone will have an "Aha! moment", and my posts will have been worth the read.

ntn2it