Thread: Technique

User Info Menu

Default Technique

What drummers technique would you like to have. It doesn't have to be your favorite drummer. He may be your favorite, but maybe there is another drummer who has a technique you admire.

I will forever be huge Buddy Rich fan, but, to be honest, Louis Belson had a cleaner technique.

Just curious.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Technique

My favorite drummer is Chad Sexton, I think he is very talented, but 311 is also my favorite band. But if I could play like anyone I would want to play like Benny Greb.
    Tama Superstar (grey pewter)
    Ludwig LM400 snare
    Wuhan China
    Paiste Rude Cymbals
    -14" sound edge hats
    -19" thin crash
    -17" thin crash
    -24" mega power ride
    -10" splash

User Info Menu

Wow! So many. I'd have to "meld" a composite to satisfy my technique envy.

Buddy for sure. Joe Morello, Vinnie, Kenny Aronoff, Neil Peart, Dennis Chambers...have to stop...haven't even touched the funk guys. Okay, David Garibaldi. Done.

Strider

P.S. For feel, Steve Gadd.

User Info Menu

My answer might change monthly but today I'll go with Jeff Hamilton.

User Info Menu

I get most of my inspiration from Benny Greb and Gavin Harrison. Both of their individual techniques are awesome.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Paul R. View Post
    My favorite drummer is Chad Sexton, I think he is very talented, but 311 is also my favorite band. But if I could play like anyone I would want to play like Benny Greb.
    Good call dude...311 is one of my favorite bands as well. I love all the things Chad does on the snare drum. I think he has a background in drum corps and that probably had a big influence on his snare technique.

But I can't possibly pick one drummer for my answer. There's so many I'd love to be able to play like...Danny Carey, Bill Bruford, Chad Sexton, Gavin Harrison, and Carter Beauford all come to mind.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I wish I had John Longstreth's foot technique. Some insane heel-toe thing going on, I think. How he manages to go that fast with that amount of beater travel, I have no idea.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyGk9oBCKiU"]ORIGIN - John Longstreth - Reciprocal (feet) - YouTube[/ame]
    - Zack

User Info Menu

For the fact that he plays open handed, great dynamic control, plays complex as well as simple grooving styles all on a large set, a huge amount of double kick control, writes music and being a multi-instrumentalist as well as a top-notch sound engineer and has used these to great effect to be such an in demand studio and touring musician....I'd kill to be Simon Phillips for a year, never mind just a day.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

id have to say benny greb or chris coleman

User Info Menu

Bernard Purdie for feel, Keith carlock for technique and John Bonham for power.

Can I have 3 or is that cheating?

User Info Menu

Hal Blaine
    *****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

Larrysperf Guest

My alltime fav was Ginger Baker, but today I tend to really like Danial Adair, and our own Kenny Howard

User Info Menu

Tough choice - I think I'd go with either Stewart Copeland or Neil Peart
    PDP 5 piece - 12/13/16/14/22
    16" Sabian AA Medium Thin Crash
    14" No-Name Hats
    21" TRX LTD Crash/Ride
    19" Zildjian A Custom Projection Crash

User Info Menu

Mark Zonder for obvious reasons. Like how he triggers effects at 1:42 in this video. But, I'm really impressed with his traditional sticking technique which I have yet to even attempt to get a grasp on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TLdAxDXug"]Fates Warning - "Leave the Past Behind" Drum angle - YouTube[/ame]

User Info Menu

Chad Szeliga or Cobus for me.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

This one's tough for me, a toss up between Danny Carey or Gavin Harrison. While Danny can do all of those polyrhythmic things, Gavin's technique just looks cleaner.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.