Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Vegas Hard Rock Cafe Gig Pix 9/23/11

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Vegas Hard Rock Cafe Gig Pix 9/23/11

Looked like a great gig and great to see you are still rocking hard. Interesting and diverse set list too; nice to see the Crowes in there - I love playing that song.
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good show with different genre of music. I just wonder how you can play Chicago tunes with no brass it must sound different. Just wondering.

User Info Menu

I salute you Dr. Destroyer. Hammering down at 60 truly inspires me. I didn't start this addiction until this year, at 38. I may have started later than most, but I plan on doing this until I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Love this thread...

Randy

User Info Menu

this is awesome

User Info Menu

From one "old" drummer to another....Outstanding Destroyer!
    If I knew at 16 I'd still be rockin' at 61 I might have ....... nah, I'd have done everything the same.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

just goes to show..." drumming is a state of mind that enables us to conquer old man time"
    Last edited by MartyM; 09-28-2011 at 02:40 PM.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! yeah...really? If I had to play "You Light Up My Life?" I would probably light myself on fire!....:lol:

It's really all about the venue. Say for instance, if we did the HRC or BB King's place here in Nashville....it would be all about Susan Tedeski, Bonnie Rait, John Mayall and the Blues-breakers, BB King, Clapton etc.

Vegas? A whole different ball of wax.

I would have to say that 'Vehicle' is more challenging drum-wise than most of the horn songs we do. . Not for me, since I've played that with the band two years now, (The beginning is on the 3-and count...The end is on the 4-and) but in perspective I would say that over all, Bob Bergland and Mike Borch have the edge over Danny.

The intro to 'China Grove' after the 4 measure is a b****, unless the whole band is hep to it, which it thankfully was, and "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting" intro is a drum challenge as well. The middle part of Pat Benetar's "Heatbreaker" is a study in and of itself, but posed no real challenge for me since Myron mimics my over-all style of drumming. Lot's of triplets, flams, paradiddles. Still..it took a bit of study to get it just right.

I really like "Life Is A highway" drum intro, and Kid Rocks drummer does a nice little segue in "All Summer Long".

Lots of good stuff for a variable crowd, and yes, while I AM 60, nights like these bring me back to my 20's playing C.B.G.B's or Max's Kansas City in the early 70's, recording in Jimi Hendrix studio 'Electric lady in '73.

Is it a 'mind thang''? No. I don't think so. It's a matter of keeping young in the way I activate. Too, it's nice that my 30 y.o daughter and 26 y.o son are doing well and while I'm patient is as 'patient may'...I WANT SOME GRANDKIDS!!!!! So there's a bit of satisfaction and calm that permeates my Being.

To teach drumming. I have done that. But if a kid wants to do The Ventures 'Whipe-out' every time she comes over....well it gets old real quick. Lord knows I taught my son and daughter to be tight little drummers...but did they follow in my footsteps? Noooooooo! :lol:

I guess the best advice I can give is this. Young and older drummers alike. HAVE FUN!

And everything else will fall into place...

For me? it's all about the kids, and exposing them to some songs that perhaps this generation has not been privy too.

LOTS of great stuff from the 60's-70's.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 09-28-2011 at 05:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Sounds like a good show with different genre of music. I just wonder how you can play Chicago tunes with no brass it must sound different. Just wondering.
    Oh yes, we had brass. Trombone, sax, trumpet. (Left side of stage). Sound check 9/23/2011

We also had a full percussion group (3) right hand stage....and of course we did Chicago's 'Beginnings' with this ensemble....me keeping the beat and doing a few 'ruffs' here and there...and then a full-blown drum solo which I didn't know was going to happen....we're going along re: perc section and then the guitarist yells out...Ladies and Gentlemen...STEPHEN ABERNATHY on the drums..

Kinda like here..."YIKES!" I says to myself..."What to do...WHAT to do?"..So I just repeated my 2007 solo from Portland Oregon's Roseland Theater's opening for Zak.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_985KeU6fCI"]Stephen Abernathy's DrumSolo_1Mbps.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

So I kinda' went with the flow...and emulated my 2007 4:20 drum solo...sorta' ....slower, and more in keeping with the timing of Chicago's 'Beginnings'. I gotta tell ya' It was SO MUCH FUN!
    Last edited by Destroyer; 09-28-2011 at 06:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I salute you Dr. Destroyer. Hammering down at 60 truly inspires me. I didn't start this addiction until this year, at 38. I may have started later than most, but I plan on doing this until I have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Love this thread...

Randy
    Thanks!

GOOD FOR YOU Randy! NEVER too old too start. And REALLY? Never TOO OLD to stop. I'm with ya'..... I'll drum till' 'death do us part'....