Thread: Drum Heads...for DW Drums

User Info Menu

Question Drum Heads...for DW Drums

I am planning on having a "Professional/Precision" Drum Tuner, replace my current drum heads.

My Drums, are the "dw Performance Series." I bought them, as a "floor model." The people in the Drum Dept. - at Guitar Center, decided to change the heads (not the bottom heads; & not the Snare Drum, Bass Drum, or the 7x8 Mounted Tom. Those...all have dw/Remo Drum Heads on them, still). The 7x8, is an "Add On"...& it sounds great!!

They removed the stock "dw/Remo" Drum Heads, off of the 2 Mounted Toms...& the Floor Tom. They replaced them with Evans G2 Heads. I'm not very fond, of them...compared to the dw/Remo heads. Too much "ringing," & "overtones."

Okay, here's the deal. I have an entire set, of dw/Remo Drum Heads...I have NOT used, yet. I would like to have these on my dw Kit! The person, who is changing the heads...& tuning them...WILL install the dw/Remo heads, but...he states, that I won't get the ultimate/best sound with them. He says I should use Remo "G2" - 2 Ply Heads (which - is what is on most of my Kit, now). He also suggests Evans..."Hydraulic/Clear" heads.

I'm confused here! This is what DW, installs on there Drums. The "Performance Series," anyway. I thought these were "quality/superior" heads? BTW, I've been using the Digital "DrumDial," to tune them myself. IMO, I really like it!!

I definitely, want the BEST possible tone!!

Any feedback, suggestions, etc...would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    Dave / DJ - "The Weary, Cosmic Cowboy"

Music. Without It, Life Itself...Would Be Impossible.

dw "Performance Series" Kit
    Dark Cherry Stain Laquer
    North American Rock Maple
    Pieces: 7 / Zildjian Cymbals
    All Hardware - dw

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads...for DW Drums

I wouldn't, under any circumstances, use Hyrdraulic heads on those DW drums. Ever. Let those babies sing! I use coated Evans G2 heads and I like them so I can't help you much there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SWDrummer58 View Post
    ...he states, that I won't get the ultimate/best sound with them.
    What "he" defines as best may not be what you define as best... it's all subjective. If you already have some stock dw heads, I would say to put those on and try them for a while before spending $$ on different heads. Stock dw heads are quality heads. It sounds like you are already happy with the stock dw heads on the smaller tom.

User Info Menu

Your professional tuner has no idea what he's talking about.

User Info Menu

For a "professional", this guy sounds like an ameteur. It's like demolition derby time.......run whatcha' brung boys! Stock DW heads are just fine. He just likes to sell product to make up for his pricing on tuning; is what this sounds like to me.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Your professional tuner has no idea what he's talking about.
    Agree.

Larrysperf Guest

+1 also if you dont like ringing and overtones EC2 are great heads. Also nice lookin set
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 09-28-2011 at 01:36 PM.

User Info Menu

I was chatting with a fellow the other day, and the subject that some drums "prefer" certain heads came up. He was saying that with DWs, for some reason the stock DW/Remo heads actually work the best and that there is no need to replace or "upgrade" them. Since I've never owned DWs, I can say, but I know my Pearl SMX seems to prefer certain heads over other, although I notice the biggest difference with snare drums - certain heads just work better with certain drums.

I say that you should stick with the stock heads and to stay away from Hydraulics, unless you are looking for that 80s rock, really surpressed muffled kind of tone from your toms.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I like coated emperors for my 12", and coated pinstripes for my 16".

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Drum Heads...for DW Drums

Wow!! Thanks very much, to everyone...for all of the excellent advice!! I really appreciate it.
    I had a "hunch," that the replies/feedback...would be what they are. I needed..."confirmation" - from the "masses!!" I was leaning, in the same direction!
    Thanks again!!
    Additional replies/feedback...are welcome.
    Take care...

Dark Cherry Stain Laquer
    All Hardware - dw

User Info Menu

I've got a question for you if I may. Are there any threads showcasing your DW Performance Series kit? I would love to see pics and read about your configuration, sizes, etc. How long have you had your kit?

EDIT: Oops. I forgot I got to see your kit back in July on the DW thread. Still looks great!
    Last edited by areFish; 09-29-2011 at 10:37 AM.

User Info Menu

The DW heads are great, they are basically ambos with coating near the edge. They are a good starting point, because you can muffle a single ply head, but you can't un-muffle a two ply head.

User Info Menu

imo you should change the kick and snare heads first

and just change one tom head see what you think before investing in a whole set too

as far as getting a professional tuner i was also very surprised they would choose ec2's and hydraulics ..open drum dynamics is a far more modern sound especially with north American maple

User Info Menu

i have G2s on both of my kits, i like them. damn sturdy.
    id suggest tuning them yourself instead of having someone else touch them especially if they suggest hydraulics.
    sooner or later youre going to have to learn how, might as well start now.
    yes its hard at first, took me months.
    today i can tune my 6 piece kit in half an hour. AND its fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I've got a question for you if I may. Are there any threads showcasing your DW Performance Series kit? I would love to see pics and read about your configuration, sizes, etc. How long have you had your kit?

EDIT: Oops. I forgot I got to see your kit back in July on the DW thread. Still looks great!
    Hi...

In my User CP, I have 2 Photo Albums...showcasing my DW Drum Kit. Please, check them out.

1 - Bass Drum (22" x 18")
    2 - Snare Drum (14" x 6 1/2")
    3 - Tom (8" x 7")
    4 - Tom (10" x 8")
    5 - Tom (12" x 9")
    6 - Floor Tom (14 x 12")
    7 - Floor Tom (16" x 14")

1 - Ride (21")
    2 - Crash (18")
    3 - Crash (16")
    4 - Hi-Hat (14")
    5 - Splash (12") - (Pending) *
    6 - Crash (Pending) *
    7 - China (Pending) *

Dark Cherry Stain Laquer
    All Hardware - dw